Single camera with Wifi? Street guardian?

BlueIrisNasBuilder

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't find an answer to this question in the the street guardian forum.

Does anyone know if street guardian planning on releasing a single channel version of this camera? I know they have the SGGCX2, but that doesn't have WiFi.

What is everyone's experience with Wifi on dashcams? I figured wifi would be easier for a non-tech savvy family member instead of taking out the SD card and using it in a computer or something. I'm looking for an easy to use, 'idiot-proof' camera.

Anyone have an opinion on street guardian SG9663DC or the Viofo a129?

I'm open to other suggestions and alternatives as well.

we don't package it that way but @Street Guardian USA has done some SG9663DC's without the rear camera before which obviously makes it cheaper, that said wifi doesn't always make them easier to use in a lot of cases

WiFi is overrated in my personal experience. You mess with it a few times in the early days and don’t / rarely use it again after that. It’s way faster to pop the card into your computer via usb reader and play/save/edit what you want.

If you want a SG9663DC with the rear camera deleted for a discount let me know. Send a private message or email.

I dont like wifi PERIOD
But even putting myself above that feeling, then i cant really see what use it should have for a dashcam.

My personal reasoning:

I would never share something on the site of a event, other than my e mail address if its some one else event i have witnessed, other than that i would keep quiet about my cameras.
And i am not part of the must share generation, so even if i caught something really cool, well it would have to wait at least until i get my car turned around and get home.
The wifi are also garbage for moving content around, it will be fine for a single file but do have in mind it take about as long to move a file from the camera to the phone as it did take recording that file.
The two knowledgeable guys above also forget to mention that neither the SG camera or the Vifo have gotten their own App ( as far as i know ) so you will have to use the DOD app that have okay functionality with the SG9663DC camera as far as i have tested.

But really if you like " idiot- proof" then wifi are just one more thing that can go wrong.
Spoke to my friend on the phone last night, and he complained that he was not able to connect his tablet to his phone as i helped him set up, turned out he did have wifi on, but he dident start the hot spot / network sharing.

No matter what camera you go for, you must have a look at the memory card now and then to verify everything are in order, this take me 5 minutes for a 128 GB memory card on the computer, i have not tried but i recon it would take at least 15 minutes to do the same on a cramped phone display, probably a lot more.

I just slide the memory card into my computer, my windows 10 then go "BONG" and open a window where i can see the content of the memory card, and in case of the SG9663DC all i have to do is open the movies folder to see all the actual recordings laid nicely in order according to date/time of recording.
And the recently released dashcam player of SG, it will be even smarter in the future and be able to do all sorts of tricks for you, like automatic group all your files into the individual drive sessions, that you can then export as one file/video with a single click of the mouse if you have a whole session you want to save.

Very useful for people that don't have a computer to view files or download firmware updates.

I see myself reaching more for the camera than my phone to change a setting, maybe it's something I'm used and thus works faster.

Back