Single channel wifi cam w/ app that can switch among multiple?

polterzeitgeist

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spent a while on that subject line and still probably didn't articulate it well. I'll try another way:

I'm shopping for at least two channels worth of camera for my wife's Jetta wagon. I've looked at two-channel models, and one of the attractions of, say, the K1S is that the cameras themselves are pretty discreet. However, cable management for the CPU/screen unit isn't the cleanest. That's where wifi units are more attractive to me, especially since my wife will generally have her phone with her and will remove it from the car as a matter of course.

It looks like the field of single channel wifi cams is a little wider than for dual-channel cams, and I don't think we'll mind the cams recording independently to two cards. Further, a pair of standalone wifi cams could get us 1080p front and back for a price similar to a 1080/720 dual channel setup (although I bet 720p with good optics is fine for our use). I wonder, however, whether there's an app that gracefully handles multiple cams. It looks like most wifi cams require the phone/tablet/etc to connect to the cam's AP, and that implies that switching cams requires disconnecting from one wireless network and connecting to the other. This could be seamless or it could be a multi-step process.

On one hand (and astute readers will say "aren't you answering your own question?"), I can imagine that she'll only have the rear cam connected for live viewing, for use as a crude backup cam or rear-view supplement. In that sense my question is largely academic. However, there might be a wifi cam that works better than others in this respect (dealing with multiple cameras), so I might as well put my money toward one that does.

This note's too long already, so I'll stop here. Thanks for any advice, including feedback that I'm thinking about this all wrong. Cheers!

Also, I'd been eyeing the Blacksys CH-100B after the thread Niko started on it, but I've seen no reviews and very few YouTube vids. That's to be expected with a relatively new model, but I wonder whether anyone's had a chance to check one out in person. The positive feedback about the CF-100 has put it at the top of my list if I find a wifi model isn't the right way to go.

Also, I'd been eyeing the Blacksys CH-100B after the thread Niko started on it, but I've seen no reviews and very few YouTube vids. That's to be expected with a relatively new model, but I wonder whether anyone's had a chance to check one out in person. The positive feedback about the CF-100 has put it at the top of my list if I find a wifi model isn't the right way to go.

I have CH-100B. Have made tests and preparations for review. Still need some time to put all together.

Given the work you've put into reviews, teardowns and general contributions to this forum, I'm loath to ask you to sum up your impressions in this thread. However, if you've got impressions like "this is an awful camera" or "this would be a wonderful camera if it weren't for this fatal flaw _______," I'd be grateful. I really like the CH-100B's physical format, at least from pictures, and the few vids I've seen have been pretty promising.

Of course, I'm still trying to figure out whether multiple discrete wifi cams is a workable solution. I'm reminded that multiple discrete cams don't have to share write bandwidth the way dual-cam models do, something that appears to bog down otherwise nice cams.

Watching Techmoan's review of the SJ4000 WiFi, I see he notes a lag that's long enough to be trouble if someone wanted to use it as a backup cam -- seems like latency might trump nearly all other considerations when backing up. That makes me wonder whether it's foolish to consider a wifi cam, generally, as a backup cam substitute.

Is there a very low latency wifi camera out there?

Is Bluetooth lower latency than wifi, all other things equal?

(thanks again)

Back