Six of the best action cameras from the last couple of years - side by side video test!

bobflyman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quite a hard call. Any of these would make a good dash cam. If you want an action camera/dash cam? SJ8 Plus at the bottom of that list as far as night driving in my other tests though. Good at 4K and has EIS @ 4K.

Did you do any driving comparisons with that test setup stuck to your windscreen?

Nice idea, I thought about it. But no. :rolleyes: Though I have tested all of those individually and those reviews have loads of test clips. The last was the SJ8 Plus and I did include some night driving with that. It wasn't great in the dark. The Mjia Mini and SJ7 Star both have a dark pub test. My full 8SE test has night driving. Judging by the video quality of these and the fact that many have low light, or auto low light settings I think it's safe to say they'd be as good if not better than many dashcams on the market. I've only reviewed a couple of dashcams and they are certainly better than those I tested.

I've tested the mijia mini and some other action cameras against dashcams. The action cameras typically have wider angle and smaller aperture lenses than the dashcams - great for a helmet cam but not so good for capturing details of moving cars. They still do a good job though if they can use the advantage of their higher video resolution than most dashcams.

Anyway, thanks for putting this together as I know it takes a long time to compile these comparison videos. As you said, there's not much between them. Personally I prefer the narrower FOV of the Mijia which is one reason why I bought it.

I've tested the mijia mini and some other action cameras against dashcams. The action cameras typically have wider angle and smaller aperture lenses than the dashcams - great for a helmet cam but not so good for capturing details of moving cars. They still do a good job though if they can use the advantage of their higher video resolution than most dashcams.

Anyway, thanks for putting this together as I know it takes a long time to compile these comparison videos. As you said, there's not much between them. Personally I prefer the narrower FOV of the Mijia which is one reason why I bought it.
Hi Tony, I agree with your comments about the 170 deg lens being better suited to action. Any car stuff will appear to be quite a long way off as well. They all offer loop recording I guess in case you might want to use for car as well. The Firefly comes in a 90 deg AOV (I have reviewed it ) probably better suited for car use. And most offer the option of wide / middle or narrow AOV but they just use a smaller area of the sensor. If they are good res you'd probably still get a good image for car use. I was promised an HD dashcam a while back, I think Sony? but it never showed, that would have been interesting!
Mijia Mini is a great camera for the money!
Thanks for your comments.

Back