SJ5000x elite or M20?

aleczanussi

Reaction score
Country
Malta
Hi!

I would like to buy a SJCAM that I would mostly use for when I go snorkeling (so taking pictures and some short video).
Between the sj5000x elite and the M20, which one is better? Or which one would you suggest me to buy and why?

Thank you
Best
Alec

I've only had the M20 for a couple hours but the still photos are improved over the 5000x elite. Video quality is similar between the two cameras. I've found that the M20 has a problem with the movie blurring/stuttering when dipping in and out of low light situation in 1080p60 mode (for example cycling in the forest), just like the Git2 Pro (same sensor/processor). The 5000x elite doesn't have this issue as severely. Between the two I'd still probably go for the M20, in 2K30 mode it looks pretty good in the lower light situations and I'm a fan of the smaller footprint. But this is all based on BRIEF testing of the M20.

I've only had the M20 for a couple hours but the still photos are improved over the 5000x elite. Video quality is similar between the two cameras. I've found that the M20 has a problem with the movie blurring/stuttering when dipping in and out of low light situation in 1080p60 mode (for example cycling in the forest), just like the Git2 Pro (same sensor/processor). The 5000x elite doesn't have this issue as severely. Between the two I'd still probably go for the M20, in 2K30 mode it looks pretty good in the lower light situations and I'm a fan of the smaller footprint. But this is all based on BRIEF testing of the M20.
Depend on the choice for low light performance, smoother or brigher? For Git2 V1.6 version, will choose no frames drops in 1080P 60fps low light condition.

Hi!

I would like to buy a SJCAM that I would mostly use for when I go snorkeling (so taking pictures and some short video).
Between the sj5000x elite and the M20, which one is better? Or which one would you suggest me to buy and why?

Thank you
Best
Alec

Try the SJCAM SJ6 Legend :)

The M20 was newer than the SJ5000x so its firmware was still being adjusted. Both Cams are probably about equal now although for Still photos the M20 has a 16mp sensor.

There are a few new multi-camera comparison videos that have been uploaded to YouTube recently. I found this comparison of 4 cameras by SJCAM useful:

"SJCAM SJ6 Legend vs M20 vs SJ5000X vs SJ4000+ Video Comparison [4K/60Fps]" by "Gábor Szuper"

The "dog walking" section after around 1:01 was very interesting. Usually, when you see "low light" tests people show night recording. There is a big difference in recording "action" in overcast lighting. For me, that often common for about 1/2 of the year. From October to the end of the year, and from January to around April, I think about 1/3 of the days are at least mainly overcast. That means a day when it was overcast almost all day, or all day, sometimes with rain or snow. "Low" light means the exposures are long, and that causes motion blurring. Look at the 4 cameras and the M20 is obviously the worst. The dog and the background are all blurred. The other three are similar to each other. The SJ4000+ and the SJ6 Legend use the same 16 MB Panasonic sensor chip, but the SJ5000X uses a 12MB Sony chip. The Amberella processor in the SJ4000+ gives a warmer colour balance than the NTK in the 5000X and SJ6.

It is interesting to see that GoPro still prefers the 12 MP sensors for their cameras, and Nikon went with an 8 MP sensor. The Nikon is already being recognized for better low light capability than the GoPro Hero5 Black.

[2017-01-13]
CORRECTION: The Nikon KeyMission 170 uses a 12 MP sensor. They have been saying it is "effectively an 8MP" sensor, probably because they are saying they use that many sensor spot for "4K video". On their current web page they do not even mention that the camera also takes still pictures. Anyway, in that case, I do not know how they are getting better low light performance than the GoPro Hero5 Black. But it certainly does look like they are achieving it.

Random Observation:

Looking at the YouTube recommended links for vids uploaded recently, it looks like a lot of people in Croatia bought SJ5000x Elite. For example:

"Honda Hornet & Kawasaki ER6-N in Croatia SJCAM SJ5000x elite 1080P"

Last edited:
@ OldMan01
I think you're confusing the SJ4000+ with the SJ5000+. It's the SJ5000+ that's using the same image sensor as the SJ6 and it's also the one using the Ambarella chipset, not the SJ4000+. :)

Anyway, this is an old thread but given the choice between the SJ5000x and M20, I prefer the color profile of the M20.

Re: "jbinx" in Message 26

Much thanks! You are right. I meant the SJ5000+. But I think that the video probably is using the SJ4000+ as stated in its title, so my comment is probably wrong overall regarding that part of the video. That is also interesting. When I watched the video, I was a bit surprised that the SJ4000+ parts did not look quite like my SJ5000+. Now I know why.

I know what you mean about the colour profile of the M20. I am starting to compare it to the GitUp Git2 when using "Contrast Low". It is a good look. But I think that the lower contrast in the M20 compared to the other three, probably needs longer exposure, to build up shadow detail, so the increased blurring is part of the result.

I think the M20 combines well with the other upper line SJCAM products. The only thing I do not like about the current SJCAM lineup for 2017 is that the M20, SJ6 and SJ7 each have different batteries, and none of them are compatible with any of the previous cameras. The M20 is excusable because the shape is very different, but the SJ6 and SJ7? In pictures, the batteries look the same size.

Re: "jbinx" in Message 26

Much thanks! You are right. I meant the SJ5000+. But I think that the video probably is using the SJ4000+ as stated in its title, so my comment is probably wrong overall regarding that part of the video. That is also interesting. When I watched the video, I was a bit surprised that the SJ4000+ parts did not look quite like my SJ5000+. Now I know why.

Yeah, plus the fact that the SJ5000+ doesn't have any form of stabilization so it's impossible to get that not-so-jerky vid if it was recorded with a cam w/o stabilization. :)

I think the M20 combines well with the other upper line SJCAM products. The only thing I do not like about the current SJCAM lineup for 2017 is that the M20, SJ6 and SJ7 each have different batteries, and none of them are compatible with any of the previous cameras. The M20 is excusable because the shape is very different, but the SJ6 and SJ7? In pictures, the batteries look the same size.

I definitely agree with you regarding the battery. It's disappointing (and irritating) they they chose to use different battery formats with the SJ6 and SJ7.

Many people have submitted this feedback regarding the batteries. We will keep this in mind when releasing future releases. Thanks for the input.

Back