• Total voters

Mtz

Reaction score
Country
Romania
Dash Cam
Viofo A229 Pro TeleQuad
What do you think?

Bad Youtube comments against SJ6 are deleted by the channel owner so is not necessary to post on youtube.

enjoy,
Mtz

I didn't used complete name for the camera just to not put in bad light some manufacturer when it was not its fault.

Last edited:
I didn't see any reason to think it is fake, the footage labelled SJ6 does look like SJ6 footage (after upload to YouTube), not many cameras have a gyro stabiliser that works like that.

Have I missed something?

I consider the SJ6 to be a correct image, but do you consider the GoPro Hero 4 BE to be correct, reflecting the reality?
sj6 vs gp h4 be.jpg sj4 vs gp h4 be.jpg

Well the Hero4 footage is recorded at 2.7K , not the best resolution for a sensor that is 4K native width, and then it has been processed by YouTube.

I would expect lighter shadow detail than on the SJ6 since it has a sensor with more dynamic range so is able to see more in the shadows, you might notice the same with the Git3. Unfortunately for the Hero4, the choice of clips means that the lighter shadows don't look so good, for those clips the contrast needs increasing, in other circumstances it is an advantage.

Looking at the effects of over exposure in the sky it does look like an Amberella processor as it should be, not a Novatek processor like the SJ6.

There is no stabilisation on the Hero4 footage, which is correct as it doesn't have a gyro.

The colour balance doesn't look too good on the Hero4, but not sure what settings they have used, maybe they used ProTune settings and then didn't correct it properly? Although I'm not sure how good the GoPro is on standard settings, most of the video we see from GoPros has been processed and colour graded.

I'm not sure the sound is right, I remember Hero4 video having a lack of low frequencies to avoid problems with wind noise but that does go quite low.

What have I missed?

I am saying that the GoPro video is not looking like a GoPro video but recorded by some cheap camera or GoPro was recording at VGA resolution. For sure this is not a fair comparison and the author did what he can to make GoPro ”video” look so bad. A SJ4000 video will look also better than that GoPro ”video”. I am not a GoPro fan at all, but nobody will buy a GoPro camera if is recording so poor like in this video. And is not about Gyro, 2.7K, colors, because we are talking about a SONY IMX117 CMOS which is impossible to record so bad. Not all GoPro videos from youtube all post processed because not everybody is a video editor guru, but I never saw a so bad GoPro video like the one from the start of this comparison. Just look at the tree branches what happened to colors there.

This thread is not about SJCam. If I was an SJCam official I would ask that company to remove such video. Their camera is good enough and not needs such unfair comparison.

enjoy,
Mtz

Most of the problem under the trees is motion blur, maybe the GoPro is using 1/15th second while the SJ6 is using 1/30? If you use an action camera under trees in the middle of winter then you should expect problems with motion blur and frame rate. A decent comparison would also have some sunny footage, preferably in summer!

For some reason the Hero 4 has two exposures per frame on the YouTube footage, does it have a 3D noise reduction setting you can turn on?

Haters will go a long way to prove their case, and i am sure there is a lot of people out there getting red in the face by hearing the name Gopro.

The GoPro is much better at focusing on the raindrops on the windscreen. I think we can deduce something from that.

Even my GoPro Hero+ footage is better than the gopro sample in the video :D

Reactions: Mtz
Yeah ... Is it really Go pro footage ? And if so has it been nobbled ... ?
I see quite a few comparison video's out there and the Go pro footage looks as bad as if it was a $20 SJ4000 clone
Just because it's on youtube ! Dont mean jack .. Way too much fake video samples out there ..
Either to make a sick cam look good or make a good cam look bad ..

As we all know here, the only true comparison is when both cams use the same settings and only the raw video is being compared ;) YouTube is a good place to get a general idea of what a cam can do (and usually has several examples there to easily compare with) but given how their compression of posted vids works it can never end up showing the whole truth for every cam equally o_O

I have no dog in this fight but this does highlight a few things I always advise folks about:

1- You should never trust one review or comparison; bias (even if unintended) will always be in there somewhere to some degree.
2- No two cams will be exactly the same; even from the same production batch some will be better than others.
3- Always consider the source; very few people give every cam a completely fair and equal evaluation.

Could be a GoPro hater, an SJ lover, an uninformed reviewer, a dud cam, or YouTube at it's worst but something does seem more than slightly remiss here :(
Phil

Back