sj6 legend long exposure photolapse?

M.T.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hiya!

Earlier this year I got a sj7.

I returned it after discovering it could NOT do RAW and it could NOT do LONG EXPOSURE PHOTOLAPSE.
Now....I plan on getting a sj6 legend.

I already know it can do RAW.

But.....can the sj6 legend do LONG EXPOSURE PHOTOLAPSE?

Can I set the photolapse to take at all shutter speeds and have it work?... Unlike the sj7 star.

Or should I just go with the git2?

Yes, the photolapse has shutter speed and ISO settings and can do up to 60 seconds, it works quite well. There is also the Gitup G3 now that will do the same.

Although having tried the Gitup F1 on the Leonoid meteor shower last night, that can see a lot more with it's ISO 6400 than the SJ6 with maximum ISO 1600.
Unfortunately the clouds came before the meteors!:

Cool...thanx for your reply.

Not crazy about the form factor of the F1.
Nice video though.

Do you think the G3 can outdo the Git2 in terms of nightime stuff?

I just was just reading about the latest sj6 firmware....says ISO increased to 3200....can you confirm?

I have my nikon dslr cameras with modern lens and lenses dating back to 1981....but we are moving it an era that has action cams with dslr features.
Breaking out the big equipment can be a task, especially with winter coming in.

I'll be Amazoning a sj6 legend in any event.

Thanks again!

My instagram is Ixnaxx ....
if you'd like to see some of my dslr stuff...with sj6 stuff in a week or so.

Ps....already waiting on a firefly 8s from BG....they shipped the 9th....prolly take 2 weeks to get here?
1st time ordering from BG.

My SJ6 hasn't been updated for a while, not doing it right now.

The G3 is better than the Git2 in low light, however for long exposure night sky images the Git2 actually does a little better, not much difference. I think the Git2 sensor was designed for photo cameras including long exposures, while the G3 sensor was designed for video, 1/30th second maximum, it's not optimised for slower speeds. In general the G3 is a big improvement over the Git2 and SJ6 for image quality.

For the F1 you need to use the app for a viewfinder, it's a different sort of camera, but a very good one for some purposes and for low light is surprisingly good for a 4K camera.

BG is normally pretty good as long as the item was actually in stock, if it is important then you need to ask if it is in stock rather than believing the website!

Hiya!

Earlier this year I got a sj7.

I returned it after discovering it could NOT do RAW and it could NOT do LONG EXPOSURE PHOTOLAPSE.
Now....I plan on getting a sj6 legend.

I already know it can do RAW.

But.....can the sj6 legend do LONG EXPOSURE PHOTOLAPSE?

Can I set the photolapse to take at all shutter speeds and have it work?... Unlike the sj7 star.

Or should I just go with the git2?
There is a DIY RAW solution for the SJ7 ... and yes, SJ6 does have a raw tool. We may be able to add long exposure photolapse if enough people want it.

Hello, Got the sj6 and the firefly 8s finally.

Sj6 seems pretty good. has all the creativity stuff i like. The RAW file has bad hotpixels problem though. Thousands of red, green, blue hot pixels over the whole image.

At the end of shooting, i have to take an exposure with the lens covered, then do a dark frame subtraction in photoshop.

But this website wont let me upload photos, so oh well.

The sj6 might be useful......but the Firefly has the same crippled hardware as the SJ7...no long exposure timelapse, no RAW.

So more than likely, the Firefly will be collecting dust in a box with other unused devices. No creative value to it.

So this will be a review of sorts for the SJ6 legend....In my view, The SJ6 legend is superior to the SJ7 and the Hawkeye Firefly 8s. Both lack the advanced creative functions of the SJ6. I dont consider 4k to be advanced nor creative.

So if low-light and manipulating photons is your game, then get an SJ6 legend. You'd be taking a step back if you choose one of the other two.

Support long espouse in timelapse is a easy job.
We implemented this in Git2 while we add shutter speed feature.
Our F1 now support DNG directly instead of RAW.

DNG seem like a popular format.

Hello, Got the sj6 and the firefly 8s finally.

Sj6 seems pretty good. has all the creativity stuff i like. The RAW file has bad hotpixels problem though. Thousands of red, green, blue hot pixels over the whole image.

At the end of shooting, i have to take an exposure with the lens covered, then do a dark frame subtraction in photoshop.

But this website wont let me upload photos, so oh well.

The sj6 might be useful......but the Firefly has the same crippled hardware as the SJ7...no long exposure timelapse, no RAW.

So more than likely, the Firefly will be collecting dust in a box with other unused devices. No creative value to it.

So this will be a review of sorts for the SJ6 legend....In my view, The SJ6 legend is superior to the SJ7 and the Hawkeye Firefly 8s. Both lack the advanced creative functions of the SJ6. I dont consider 4k to be advanced nor creative.

So if low-light and manipulating photons is your game, then get an SJ6 legend. You'd be taking a step back if you choose one of the other two.
SJ7 now has RAW workaround: SJ7 Raw

Back