SJ6 LEGEND SETTING + Raw Footage

Ririn

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Hi guys!

Just got my hands on SJ6 and its my first action camera. Took this on a trip to bangkok and was alittle disappointed in the quality of the video, especially in low light. It was taken in default settings and i was wondering if anyone could advice on what sort of settings would produce better quality videos (clear and sharp instead of blurry like) like those on youtube. Thanks!

In those dark conditions, the best setting would be on a tripod so that there is no motion blur. If you want to carry it around then put it on a monopod/selfie stick, the heavier the better to reduce the camera shake.

The 16MP sensor is not ideal for dark conditions, it will do much better in bright summer sunlight. For the dark, you might do better using it in photo mode, using long exposures you can get some great photos in the dark, then put them together into a slide show video.

Hi guys!

Just got my hands on SJ6 and its my first action camera. Took this on a trip to bangkok and was alittle disappointed in the quality of the video, especially in low light. It was taken in default settings and i was wondering if anyone could advice on what sort of settings would produce better quality videos (clear and sharp instead of blurry like) like those on youtube. Thanks!

When taking pictures, please make sure to turn Gyro off. You may have to play with the settings a bit. It is a good question so hopefully someone here can recommend more tips for shooting at night.

We are in the process of having someone program a converter for us. Some fans created the SJ5000x, M20 converter. They may beat us to creating this app again. Thanks for your patience guys

We are in the process of having someone program a converter for us. Some fans created the SJ5000x, M20 converter. They may beat us to creating this app again. Thanks for your patience guys

Do you mean a converter for RAW stills? Can you share an example of RAW photo produced by SJ6 cam?

Do you mean a converter for RAW stills? Can you share an example of RAW photo produced by SJ6 cam?
Yes, there was a tool for the SJ5000x that we thought would be compatible. We are looking to add support to that tool for the SJ6 legend. Thanks for your patience.

Yes, there was a tool for the SJ5000x that we thought would be compatible. We are looking to add support to that tool for the SJ6 legend. Thanks for your patience.
I'm working on my raw converter tool. At the moment it already supports raw files produced by Yi and Git2 cams (both Sony and Panasonic sensor versions). I can try adding sj6 support if you provide me several samples of raw files shot with it.

you need pictures from the SJ6 legend ?
ill get some snapped for you tomorrow.

Yes, I need RAW files, not JPEGs.

but cant the SJ6 only do JPEGs and its then those you convert to raw ?

sorry i see it can do RAW, ill have something for you tomorrow evening.

is single pics okay or would you also like some burst files and photo lapse

Just looked at camera and its set to 12M ( not sure if thats the default or not )

I havent even looked at the pictures myself as i have no software it seem that can view RAW footage.

But the camera also did Jpegs of the same shot it seem, but i deleted those and just zipped the folder for you.

I will snap you a couple of 16M pictures tomorrow, it is after all the native resolution of the sensor as i recall.

Just looked at camera and its set to 12M ( not sure if thats the default or not )
Could you please shoot a couple more with resolution set to 16M? Jpegs which are saved together with raws can also be helpful to estimate SJ6 image processing.

Last edited:
Ill have some for you tomorrow, RAWs and jepegs in 16M ( allerady changed setting in camera )

@kamkar1
@sjcam_official

I've managed to open 16M fullsize RAW files and I'm pretty sure there is a bug in current firmware:
The data values of two channels (pixel cells) are written in 12bit (it matches the mn34120 sensor output) and the other third channel data seems to be converted into 16bit and saved as 12bit resulting the whole channel data cropping/shifting and making those RAWs not usable in the end.

sj6-raw.png

Back