SJ6 use for Dashcam

Frenky Tan

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo, 119 Pro, 119S, Yi DashCam
I just got my SJ6 today, small device can do a lot features. I'm surprised the camera can do Dashcam functionality and can work without internal battery.

So I wonder anyone here have setup SJ6 as Dashcam?

If you do what you thought about it?

I used mine this summer to document a 9 hour long drive around my little country, the SJ6 did well.

I would not use it for a dashcam in every day use, but once in a while will be fine.

Thanks for the feedback. What is your summer temperature over there?

Thanks for the feedback. What is your summer temperature over there?
Should be OK in the summer, the batteries might suffer if it is left in a parked car in full sunshine.
Main problem is that it is not good in low light, you wont be reading many number plates in the winter.
If you don't have the battery installed then I would expect to loose the last file when it is turned off, which could be a big problem in an accident since it is quite likely to get disconnected.

Summer this year was almost not summer ( thank you global "warming" )
I did a stopover in KL airport once, so i know your temperatures, and they are far from what we get up here in Denmark.
But even in the bast of days ( 30 degrees ) i am sure a sj6 left in the car will be cooking, so i would not dare to do that.
But when you have the car going and the air condition ( my cheap car dont have that ) then you should be good for recording a drive with the camera in the windscreen.
But as i said it are not good as a dashcamera, not least in low light.

This is from my trip this "summer" dont let the clear skies and sun fool you, this day was just 25 degrees and the wind was cold.

Should be OK in the summer, the batteries might suffer if it is left in a parked car in full sunshine.
Main problem is that it is not good in low light, you wont be reading many number plates in the winter.
If you don't have the battery installed then I would expect to loose the last file when it is turned off, which could be a big problem in an accident since it is quite likely to get disconnected.

Summer this year was almost not summer ( thank you global "warming" )
I did a stopover in KL airport once, so i know your temperatures, and they are far from what we get up here in Denmark.
But even in the bast of days ( 30 degrees ) i am sure a sj6 left in the car will be cooking, so i would not dare to do that.
But when you have the car going and the air condition ( my cheap car dont have that ) then you should be good for recording a drive with the camera in the windscreen.
But as i said it are not good as a dashcamera, not least in low light.

Thanks for the footage, your degrees referring to fahrenheit or celsius? Here daily inside the cabin can up to 45 degrees celsius.

You both mentioned about suffering from low light, does it mean even the low light option is turn on still suffering? Or SJ6 Legend Air do better? I noticed that is the difference when I compared side by side on their website.

I can see low light option on firmware 1.4.8 and 1.4.9. Does it mean option low light just been added on 1.4.8 and 1.4.9 on SJ6 Legend? Or it have different effects from SJ6 Legend Air?

Celcius, those nice summer days with 30 degrees well on a good summer we have 5 of those MAX, and if the water temperature at the beach reach 20 degrees, then you better jump in cuz that as warm as the water will ever be here.

Bot of the SJ6 cameras use large pixel count sensors and so the individual pixel are small and dont capture light as good as a large pixel in another sensor, good 1080p cameras have 3 - 4 X larger pixels than the ones in the SJ6 cameras.

Low light have always been there it have just been tweaked a little in that firmware update.

And its not like the SJ6 are totally crappy for low light recording as a dashcam, its far from as good as the best 1080p sensors in dashcams, and even those good 1080p sensors are far from as good in low light as we users would like them to be.

The SJ6 legend use a Sony sensor the SJ6 air use a Panasonic sensor, and then one are 2 megapixels larger than the other 14 Vs 12 megapixel i think it is.
I have both of them and while they are much the same i do prefer the SJ6 Legend.

Understand that SJ6 Legend can work as dashcam.
1. Would it be the date and time reset if the device power off without battery inserted?
2. Would it be overwrite the oldest file for loop recording?

1. Date and time will reset when power is disconnected. However, date and time will be restored automatically when you connect SJ6 Legend to phone via wifi.
  2. Loop Recording.jpg

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ricardo Dalisay SJ6 1
Back