SJ7 Star Freezes - Can't find a solution...help

luisraul35

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I have an SJCAM SJ7 STAR 4K 12MP, and I have a 128 GB memory card that I bought with this camera on Amazon, the model is SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card (SDSQUNC-128G-GN6MA). I bought both items at the same time in 2017. At first I love the camera over all, the first test made were awesome (it is my first action camera) compating witrh a sj500 that my friend had.

I used this camera only on my vacation days or in a particular occasion, so i don't use it very often, but I've being having some freezing troubles with this camera since the first time and its random. I tried to use it on my last vacation with my family and I was so angry because it freezes every 20 min or so, and the only way to unfreeze it was removing the battery.

So I hope via this forum some enlightenment.
If its not recommended to use a 128 GB card, please let me know.

This is my last configuration

Pictures
Photo Size: 16MP
Photo Quality: Super Fine
Long Exposure: Off
Photo Stamp: Date-Time
Self Timer: 3 Seconds
Photo Burst: 10 P/S
Time Lapse Photos: 3 Seconds
Sharpness: Normal
AWB: Auto
EV value: 0.0
ISO: Auto
Metering: Multi

Video:
Video Resolution: 1080p 60fps 16:9
Video Quality: Super Fine
FOV: Disable
Slow Motion: Disable
Auto Low Light: ON
Gyro Sensor: ON
Detection: Off
Dual Files: Off
Video Stamp: Date-Time
Timelapse Video: 1 Second
Loop Record: 5 Min
Car DV: Off
Microphone Volume: 80%
Sharpness: Normal
AWB: Auto
EV Value: 0.0
ISO: Auto
Metering: Multi

General Settings:
Quick Capture: Off
Delay Off: Disabled
FPV: Off
TV Mode: NTSC
Gimbal control: OFF
Light Frequency: aUTO
Distort Correction: ON
Image Rotation: Disabled
Logo Watermark: Off
Auto Shutdown: 3 Min
Screen Off: 30 sec
Status Led: 3
Wifi Led: On
Beep: On
Date Setup:N/A
Time Setup: N/A
Date Format: Y/M/D
Language: English
Wifi: On
Wifi SSID: N/A
Wifi Password:N/A
Format: N/A
Default Setings: N/A
Version: 1.22

I have only been running 64 GB cards in my SJ7star, lockups i did try a few times in the very early days of firmware, there have been nothing like that using the camera lately.

When you are recording are you doing so on a empty memory card each time, or are you just recording more and more until the card are full ?

tried a different memory card?
No, I dont want to be try and error expending money. But im willing to expend on prooven memory cards if there is any of 128gb compatible, it not i will go to 64 Gb.

I have only been running 64 GB cards in my SJ7star, lockups i did try a few times in the very early days of firmware, there have been nothing like that using the camera lately.

When you are recording are you doing so on a empty memory card each time, or are you just recording more and more until the card are full ?
Most of the time i go on vacation i try to take a pc with me to free the memory card. I think ive consume 10 g on a 128 total. I have a generic 64gb card from walgreens. But i would like to give it a try to a card already being prooven. Can you share the m card model please

I think the card i used most in my SJ7 star was my Trancend ultimate U3 ( black and gold colored ) but i have also used a Kingston U3 card ( black with red writing ) and a PNY U3 card too.
I cant recall if i have tried any of my lesser cards in the SJ7 star.

card is the most common point of failure for any camera, a different card is the first thing to try

Yes if OP have another card, or even just can borrow another card to do a battery worth of recording would be the way to investigate further.

It is not my understanding the SJ 7 or any of my other SJ cameras are memory card fussy, i dont even think the U3 cards i have been using are a must, a good U1 card should be fine too.

I've checked if the card I have is a fake or not. Thankfully is an original one. I will buy

Warning: Only 121920 of 121921 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 24.8 MByte/s
Reading speed: 78.4 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I will buy another card (HFUD064-1U1) and I'lllet you know the outcome.

Sjcam's support site , firmware page , has an instruction to revert to fw 1.18 if you have difficulty with fw 1.21. The only difference between 1.21 and 1.22 is code to fix a gimball problem. Try fw 1.18

Back