Sj7 Star shutdowns in cold weather

chenan1

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi,
So iv'e bought a new SJ7, currently with v1.18 version.
I checked it few times in home, it looked good, and then i went to a ski trip.
After charging the camera few hours before the ski, as i started skiing [-3 Celsius] it took around 10 seconds to call for "Low battery" and to shutdown.
I managed to open it few times later and all my videos lasted for 3-6 seconds each before shutting down again.
I though maybe the resolution was the issue, or it might have not been fully charged, so i charged it again the next day, and lowered the resolution to 1440.
Of course the same has happened.
When i came home after the trip, and iv'e checked the camera [20 Celsius] it worked pretty well.
It comes to the conclusion that the battery can't handle cold weather. The battery is a brand new Sjcam Lithium Li-ion 1000mah battery.
Is there and kind of solution to this problem? Iv'e bought the camera for skiing, not for traveling around, so it really frustrates me.

Moreover, after the final complete shutdown in the ski area, when i started to recharge the battery, all my date-time setting have been changed to a random date and time in 2017.
Talking about how HOT the camera was while charging would be understatement. I could make an omelet on top of it.

Does anyone has some answers for this issues?
I'm pretty frustrated right now..
Thanks!

I haven't heard anyone else report the camera having a problem with being too cold (-3C or mid-20's F). I'm a little surprised to hear the battery recovered in 20C / 70-ish F. About all I can think of is trying a different battery. The other possibility is your charger wasn't working as well as you thought. Did you charge the battery with the SJCam external charger or plugging the camera into a USB "wall wart" charger? Either should work. Using an external charger is a little better - there's an idiot light showing charge/done and the batteries aren't sitting inside the camera and cooking away. Sadly, seeing the camera hit 40C or more, while in use, is "normal" (they all do it). Mine has hit 55+ C while filming.

I haven't heard anyone else report the camera having a problem with being too cold (-3C or mid-20's F). I'm a little surprised to hear the battery recovered in 20C / 70-ish F. About all I can think of is trying a different battery. The other possibility is your charger wasn't working as well as you thought. Did you charge the battery with the SJCam external charger or plugging the camera into a USB "wall wart" charger? Either should work. Using an external charger is a little better - there's an idiot light showing charge/done and the batteries aren't sitting inside the camera and cooking away. Sadly, seeing the camera hit 40C or more, while in use, is "normal" (they all do it). Mine has hit 55+ C while filming.
Hi!
Thanks for your reply.

I even checked it in my fridge.
I charged the camera with my external charger (I didn't get any sjcam charger, except a cable), and the camera worked fine and didn't turn off the whole day, stayed with high percentege of battery.
Later on, i charged the camera to full battery, opened it and placed it in the fridge (Without filming, with the case).
After about 30-40 min, iv'e took it out of the fridge and the battery meter showed no battery, and freaked out a little bit (went up to one bar and went right back down after a few seconds).
Maybe the community should check it out too.

Another thing, do you think the date-time problem is caused by the battery?

You probably have a wonky battery. Date shouldn't be a problem. The number of discharge / charge cycles is what wears lithium batteries down. If you want to hang on to the camera, invest in the SJCam "external charge and two batteries" kit. That should get you past the wonky battery.

You probably have a wonky battery. Date shouldn't be a problem. The number of discharge / charge cycles is what wears lithium batteries down. If you want to hang on to the camera, invest in the SJCam "external charge and two batteries" kit. That should get you past the wonky battery.
Any tips for what to do charging after getting a new battery?

Strictly speaking, you can use it to get to about half discharged (or, if you're an optimist, half charged). Throw a charge on it and go shoot stuff. A full discharge, maybe after shooting a vacation trip, but do the discharge sparingly. A full discharge can clear up some internal issues, but it hammers the battery, too.

Back