SJ7 Warped and Deformed

TeriTerryTarry

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Several action cams
After 3 hours of use as a dash camera my SJ7 became warped and deformed. I was using it with the battery removed, powered by a USB power bank. It was mid-afternoon in Georgia, USA. Outside temp was about 29°C (85°F) with the A/C running in my vehicle and one stop of about 30 minutes with the windows rolled up. Interestingly, the camera recorded video the entire time right up until I discovered the problem and disconnected the power bank. This leads me to believe the internals are largely okay, that the problem was exposure of the camera face to the sun.

The camera is now inoperable. Due to deformation I can't get the battery into the compartment. When I connect an AC or DC adapter or USB power bank the camera doesn't turn on even though it's in Car mode. I tried using the On/Off button after connecting the external power source but because the front is so warped the button doesn't work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/153159414@N02/albums/72157681516871930

EDIT: I've been trying to post actual photos using the "Image" icon above but it seems DCT won't accept links to Flickr. If anybody knows how to do this, or wants to download my photos, work their magic and post any of them individually to this thread, feel free to do so. Thanks.:)

album-72157681516871930

I also had a dash cam deform in the sun. It seems some manufacturers use cheaper plastics. Here is a response I got in another thread:

we use ABS PA777D material for dash camras housing, which survive up to 115C
while the normal ABS-V0 will be deformed when 85C.

I also had a dash cam deform in the sun. It seems some manufacturers use cheaper plastics. Here is a response I got in another thread:

we use ABS PA777D material for dash camras housing, which survive up to 115C
while the normal ABS-V0 will be deformed when 85C.
It's strange because I've been using an SJ4000 as a dash cam for 21 months without any problems. I've also used an Elephone Explorer Pro for a year and a Dazzne P2 Plus occasionally as dash cams, both without a hitch. I never expected this!:woot:

It's a unique Salvador Dali camera - very valuable as a work of art :D

If only they had used a metal front and buttons to the case!

@kamkar1 did say his got "almighty hot" too.

There is one thing I want to clarify. On page 18 of the official User's Manual (VIDEO RECORD - Page 2) it calls for removing the battery before using it as a dash cam. I did that. You'll also find that page 7 of the manual calls for using 1-amp adapters. I've always used 2.0A adapters for all my action cameras including my SJ4000. However, in this particular case, bearing in mind the manual, I used the 1A port of my USB power bank when I connected it to the SJ7. The website, official User's Manual, the box and the printed manual inside it do not address the use of power banks. I can't see why it should be different than an adapter but I don't know.

There is one thing I want to clarify. On page 18 of the official User's Manual (VIDEO RECORD - Page 2) it calls for removing the battery before using it as a dash cam. I did that. You'll also find that page 7 of the manual calls for using 1-amp adapters. I've always used 2.0A adapters for all my action cameras including my SJ4000. However, in this particular case, bearing in mind the manual, I used the 1A port of my USB power bank when I connected it to the SJ7. The website, official User's Manual, the box and the printed manual inside it do not address the use of power banks. I can't see why it should be different than an adapter but I don't know.
Too many amps does not matter, it is only too few that is a problem. So a USB 1 port with only 0.5A would be no good, but a 2A port is fine.

Any power source that conforms to the USB standard and can supply 1A or more should be fine, including power banks.

Since it says that you can use it as a dashcam there should have been no problem! I would have expected it to shut itself down if it got too hot in the sun.

If you remove the battery, it is not unusual for the last file to be corrupted and sometimes the card formatting to be corrupted when it looses power meaning that it doesn't work next time it gets power, thus I always leave the battery in action cameras when using them as dashcams. I would suggest that you test for corrupted files if you follow the instruction to remove the battery, see if they have sorted that problem, however it doesn't look like you will be able to perform that test any more!

Since it says that you can use it as a dashcam there should have been no problem!
Indeed that's my point too! There's no prohibition against using it as a dash camera nor against the use of USB power banks so why should there have been a problem?

The very last file on the memory card was corrupted but I'm guessing that's because I disconnected the power bank. None of the other files was corrupted.

Camera is totally inoperable now so no further testing!:cry:

Too many amps does not matter, it is only too few that is a problem. So a USB 1 port with only 0.5A would be no good, but a 2A port is fine.

Any power source that conforms to the USB standard and can supply 1A or more should be fine, including power banks.
I've been thinking that 1A is a maximum whereas in fact it's a minimum, is that correct?

Camera is totally inoperable now so no further testing!:cry:
So you can now write and publish the review - should be an interesting read :D

Yes, Amps are always given as a minimum when they are for a power consuming device - what it needs to be able to operate, and for a power supply device they are always given as a maximum - what it is capable of supplying. Volts should always be an exact value, unless it specifies a range (+- value).

If you remove the battery, it is not unusual for the last file to be corrupted and sometimes the card formatting to be corrupted when it looses power meaning that it doesn't work next time it gets power, thus I always leave the battery in action cameras when using them as dashcams.
I do the same thing. I've always used my SJ4000 and Elephone Explorer Pro with the battery installed and the camera connected to the 12V adapter. I never had an accident since using the cameras so I'm not sure what would happen in that case.

SJCam should stay with their previous FAKE 4K SJCam cameras because none of them ”warped and deformed”.

enjoy,
Mtz

SJCam just sent me an e-mail that answers a few questions. I hope they don't mind that I'm copying it here in the interest of accuracy:

The camera's electronics use a protection circuit that cuts off power when it reaches dangerous levels. The reason we inform users about the battery being removed is an additional layer of safety, and it is very strongly advised should anything fail.

About your question about the front panel, yes, it is made of plastic and should withstand some heat without warping. Excessive heat, on the other hand, may cause it to deform if left in this state. Most cameras, not just SJCAM's, will generate heat during operation, and will most likely generate more heat when using high performance modes.

Yes, it supports power via power bank. 2A is also okay.

Last edited:
They said they would.:)
Are you going to do the same test on the replacement?
Or just declare it unsuitable for dashcam use?
Maybe get a thermometer and monitor the actual in-car and out-of-car temperatures next time, start off in the cool of the morning and see how close to mid-day it can cope with. Get another camera to watch the front cover warping in timelapse.

I was recording in 4K.
It's being sold as a 4K camera, why would you use anything else?
If we only want 1080 we have plenty of choice, no need to pay extra for a 4K camera that overheats.

Are you going to do the same test on the replacement?
Or just declare it unsuitable for dashcam use?
Maybe get a thermometer and monitor the actual in-car and out-of-car temperatures next time, start off in the cool of the morning and see how close to mid-day it can cope with. Get another camera to watch the front cover warping in timelapse.

It's being sold as a 4K camera, why would you use anything else?
If we only want 1080 we have plenty of choice, no need to pay extra for a 4K camera that overheats.
Good questions all Nigel!

I haven't decided yet if I'm willing to try a meltdown test again. I never thought about making a time-lapse video! My hope is that this is a one-time event, that for some reason my camera alone was defective. Not likely, right? Or maybe it was a defective batch of material from the plastic manufacturer. Worst would be if the material is exactly what SJCam specified.

There's at least one other DCT member who used his SJ7 as a dash cam but he didn't have the same problem. As it stands I can only base my review on what I experienced with my camera. You can probably guess what I'll say about the meltdown.

Back