SJ8 plus H.265 no go

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So my friend got a 8plus for x mas, and it seem to work well aside for one problem.
If you use H.265 the files you record our computers can playback just fine, but trying to import them into pinnacle studio ( pinnacle studio 20 ultimate friends house - 22 ultimate at my place ) just dont work, out editing software will only work with the audio part of the H.265 recordings.
H.264 are flawless, any resolution ASO can be imported and edited as we please, but the H.265 recordings we can only playback,,,, in pretty much any playback software we try.

So ! What is the deal with that ??

Sounds like a Pinnacle Studio issue. Have you tried any other h265 video source with that software?

No after researching a little more i think it is due to the "latest" windows update.
I found this but have not heard back from my friend if he have tried it.
"You might experience issues playing MPEG-4 (MP4) files encoded in the HEVC (H.265) format if you are using the Windows 10 Creators Update. The HEVC video extension is not included in Windows 10 Creators (was included in previous releases of Windows 10)."
To fix the issue, you can install the HEVC video extension from the Microsoft Store:
I know my computer ( pinnacle studio ) have worked with H.265 files just fine before, but the few test files i had with me home from my friends house, well i moved them off my phone, found they dident work and then deleted them and emptied trash bin before i found that "FIX"
I think the Mobius MAXI can do H.265 too so i will go retrieve that in my car shortly and give it a go now that i have installed that fix.

Still strange though, cuz both of us have the codec pack installed and i assume H.265 was covered by that.

I did change my friends SJ 8 to H.264 so he should not have that problem again, but still he have some recordings he would like to mix up and export.

Still dont get how our computers can playback the footage just fine just pinnacle that "choke" on it, i would have assumed the codec for playback was the same as for editing.

Okay i just found out that i dident have the codec pack installed, guess i forgot that after building the new computer :oops: the issue are probably the same at my friends house as his computer are almost as new as mine, and i cant recall if i set up the codecs when i set up the other things on it.

SIGH :rolleyes:

I've found this latest round of Windows 10 updates (3 so far this week) are causing grief. On Friday no-one in our office could print after the update, plus I lost connection to our NAS.

No h265 on the Maxi.

Damit.
My M2 died on me so i cant go there, and my SJ cameras are to old to support that stuff.

I'd send you an archived M2 file on MEGA, but I've moved on now and deleted all of them. The M2 is in the back of my wife's car so I can't get to it either.

I think i might have had the odd M2 recording lying around too, but i just threw out a handful of sub 250 GB hard drives and it was probably on one of those.

So my friend got a 8plus for x mas, and it seem to work well aside for one problem.
If you use H.265 the files you record our computers can playback just fine, but trying to import them into pinnacle studio ( pinnacle studio 20 ultimate friends house - 22 ultimate at my place ) just dont work, out editing software will only work with the audio part of the H.265 recordings.
H.264 are flawless, any resolution ASO can be imported and edited as we please, but the H.265 recordings we can only playback,,,, in pretty much any playback software we try.

So ! What is the deal with that ??
K, try rendering through a free program called handbrake. My Yi 4k+ video wouldn't import to my Corel video studio until I rendered with handbrake. 'was getting a " file mismatch" message. Mediainfo indicates that handbrake changes the format!
Pinnacle is a subsidiary, like Corel of a media company in Ottawa,Can.

Yeah i know we could convert the video files to something pinnacle would work with, and i will probably have to do that on my next visit to my friends house.
But pinnacle should work just fine with H.265.
What confuse me is my friends computer ( which by the way do have the latest K-lite codec pack installed ), will play the files just fine, it just wont edit them using pinnacle even with a tag in the " use 3 party codecs" box.
I will give it one more try during the weekend ( look like we Danes might finally get a little snow this winter ) if not i will put his 300 mbit fiber connection to use and DL handbrake or something to convert the few files he have accidentally recorded using H.265.
I am pretty sure the SJ8 plus default with H.264 so he probably messed too much with settings and changed that to H.265,,,,,, which is strange cuz really my friend don't mess much with anything, which are a eternal frustration of mine, cuz then i have to go do it, and many things i just figured out myself by messing around so no remembering how to do it again, for instance his new Nokia phone i also had to help with.
Even the things that truly interest him,,, well not really so much he nerd out on the stuff like we do when we find something interesting.

I do hope this appreciated on some level to maybe offset some of my bad karma points a little on the last day, it is not a cake walk being a good friend.

Same when my kid sister come to me for relationship advise, me that last had a relation in that way 35 years ago :rolleyes: im like " who am i ??? the oracle of Aarhus or something"

Yeah i know we could convert the video files to something pinnacle would work with, and i will probably have to do that on my next visit to my friends house.
But pinnacle should work just fine with H.265.
What confuse me is my friends computer ( which by the way do have the latest K-lite codec pack installed ), will play the files just fine, it just wont edit them using pinnacle even with a tag in the " use 3 party codecs" box.
I will give it one more try during the weekend ( look like we Danes might finally get a little snow this winter ) if not i will put his 300 mbit fiber connection to use and DL handbrake or something to convert the few files he have accidentally recorded using H.265.
I am pretty sure the SJ8 plus default with H.264 so he probably messed too much with settings and changed that to H.265,,,,,, which is strange cuz really my friend don't mess much with anything, which are a eternal frustration of mine, cuz then i have to go do it, and many things i just figured out myself by messing around so no remembering how to do it again, for instance his new Nokia phone i also had to help with.
Even the things that truly interest him,,, well not really so much he nerd out on the stuff like we do when we find something interesting.

I do hope this appreciated on some level to maybe offset some of my bad karma points a little on the last day, it is not a cake walk being a good friend.

Same when my kid sister come to me for relationship advise, me that last had a relation in that way 35 years ago :rolleyes: im like " who am i ??? the oracle of Aarhus or something"
Wondershare filmora is another freebie software with an action cam tool that I used before discovering handbrake.They tailored it for go pro and Sony ,but it makes the yi format compatible with my VSP!

Wondershare filmora is another freebie software with an action cam tool that I used before discovering handbrake.They tailored it for go pro and Sony ,but it makes the yi format compatible with my VSP!
Young people learn culture from their elders- the anarchist , globalist left want to destroy our cultures- so, do advise the kid sister! Sorry for the moralizing!

im like " who am i ??? the oracle of Aarhus or something"

Well we will respectfully bestow on you the title of "Dashcam Oracle of Aarhus" :) which unfortunately does not come with a salary :ROFLMAO:

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar SJ8 2
TechTronic9000 SJ8 5
TonyCams SJ8 290
Back