SJ8 Pro 4k@60fps, SJ8 Plus 4K@30fps, SJ8 Air Coming Soon!

Promises, promises, promises... feh.

My cynical mind suggests planting videos to sustain interest. Think about it, the camera isn't in full release. Why does someone in Ukraine have an SJ8 while Amazon, etc. don't? There was one posting from someone getting a camera from a Chinese online seller..

the affiliate links aren't there for no reason I guess ;)

the affiliate links aren't there for no reason I guess ;)

And your company ignores the broad market because a local rep has been busy convincing the people in Shenzhen that rep has a really great market for the SJ8. The SJ7 is ignored, there is no indication that SJCam even cares about SJ7 owners. And with that SJCam heads for the list of "take the money and run" companies. Not a good idea.

And your company ignores the broad market because a local rep has been busy convincing the people in Shenzhen that rep has a really great market for the SJ8. The SJ7 is ignored, there is no indication that SJCam even cares about SJ7 owners. And with that SJCam heads for the list of "take the money and run" companies. Not a good idea.

there's a couple of brands around that support products for a while but the majority of these Chinese names are the same, once the new model shows up they abandon the previous models

@jokiin Looking at your post count and "manufactuer" label, I think it best that you step into the light and tell us who you work for, SJCam or not.

Well if people have been somewhat apprehensive / not all that happy with their current SJ product, then they should be skeptical about new products from the brand.

But while i have often been a early adopter with computer hardware it seem all together different market, and i have only been burned one time, and that was just a motherboard / ram incompatibility issue, so soon as the same hardware was put on another brand motherboard everything was normal.
And while mine worked just fine, that was still my first and last MSI motherboard, solely on the problems i had getting my friends computer going which it wouldn't with his value ram, mine on high end overclocking ram worked fine and overclocked like a bat out of hell, as it should as the model of motherboard was a highly praised overclocking board.

Back to the Sj cameras, even if i had the money to burn, then i am doing pretty well with the Sj6 and 7 cameras.
If the Sj8 pro was able to do 240 FPS at 1080p, that would be the only thing that would push me over and buy one, but thats not the case and personally the 4K are not something i would use in day to day use.

I dont know if its the same, but in post upscaling 1080/60 to 4K/60 take a toll on my computer, and i pretty much have to minimize the editing software and do other things in another window all evening ( not small video clip of course )

up scaling 50 - 60 minutes of 1080/60 to 4K/60 take many hours, not that it completely lock up my computer i have no issues doing other internat stuff while that run in the background.

Unsure if processing 4K / 60 take the same toll as upscaling, but i dont think its far off judging from my little experimenting with 4K/30 from the SJ7

@jokiin Again, you present yourself as part of some company. It's good Internet practice to declare affiliations with items discussed, or a disclaimer where appropriate. It improves the credibility of posts.

@jokiin Again, you present yourself as part of some company. It's good Internet practice to declare affiliations with items discussed, or a disclaimer where appropriate. It improves the credibility of posts.

I own Street Guardian, GuardTrak and CellPower, most regular users here are probably aware of that, apologies if you didn't pickup on that, the manufacturer tag is applied to anyone that is a manufacturer, it's not specified which brands belong to any particular manufacturer, it did use to be easier to know this before signatures were disabled, unfortunately too many sellers were using signatures to spam their online stores

I dont know if its the same, but in post upscaling 1080/60 to 4K/60 take a toll on my computer, and i pretty much have to minimize the editing software and do other things in another window all evening ( not small video clip of course )

up scaling 50 - 60 minutes of 1080/60 to 4K/60 take many hours, not that it completely lock up my computer i have no issues doing other internat stuff while that run in the background.

Unsure if processing 4K / 60 take the same toll as upscaling, but i dont think its far off judging from my little experimenting with 4K/30 from the SJ7
See the video below for a sample of transcoding from 1080@60 to 4K@60. It's not a process for the impatient. The value of transcoding to 4K is primarily to keep YouTube from showing severe pixilation and other artifacts of compression. While the results can be viewed at 4K, 1080 is sufficient. Transcoding to 4K will not improve resolution or reveal items not found at 1080. What's in the original footage remains the same at 4K.

Yes thats why i do the up scaling, otherwise youtube just murder the otherwise fine 1080p footage.
I think if i win the lottery i will change to a paid for service instead of youtube.

Just been in a heated debate on a TV forum. seem like steaming TV here are around 8 mbit, and my comment to that was that gotta be lousy to watch TV unless the steaming protocols are able to work wonders.
Even the providers on fiber just steam in such lousy bitrate when truth be told they could do a 5 X higher bitrate with their hands tied behind the back.

Updating my computer as i plan i will get double the performance of my current rig, both CPU 4/8 cores Vs 8/16 cores, and GFX Nvidia GTX 570 Vs AMD 580 - 8Gb
I did want one of the top end AMD cards but miners make those too expensive, and really its way overkill as i am on a 1080p monitor with no plans to update that one.

I dont think that will half my video editing jobs, but it should make it more enjoyable.

EDIT : it is rare i do those 1 hour recordings, thank god :) normally my RC videos end up at 10 - 15 minutes MAX

"Less is more" - - Robert Browning (Mies Van Der Rohe borrowed it)

Please do. I'm pretty sure I know why the Phillipines, but Ukraine??? (neither strike me as major markets - not trying to slight Ukraine at all) But not the rest of Europe or Euro-land, not the US??? GearBest but not Amazon??? Excuse me for the language but WTF???

Here are some RAW photos which I took for Youtube cover: http://dropmefiles.com/qpeSZ

I don't really know why SJ8 Pro is not on Amazon yet but I'm pretty sure that it'll be there very soon. And to be honest I don't see any problems with purchasing the camera on Gearbest - you always have your money protected if you pay via PayPal.

Well if people have been somewhat apprehensive / not all that happy with their current SJ product, then they should be skeptical about new products from the brand.

But while i have often been a early adopter with computer hardware it seem all together different market, and i have only been burned one time, and that was just a motherboard / ram incompatibility issue, so soon as the same hardware was put on another brand motherboard everything was normal.
And while mine worked just fine, that was still my first and last MSI motherboard, solely on the problems i had getting my friends computer going which it wouldn't with his value ram, mine on high end overclocking ram worked fine and overclocked like a bat out of hell, as it should as the model of motherboard was a highly praised overclocking board.

Back to the Sj cameras, even if i had the money to burn, then i am doing pretty well with the Sj6 and 7 cameras.
If the Sj8 pro was able to do 240 FPS at 1080p, that would be the only thing that would push me over and buy one, but thats not the case and personally the 4K are not something i would use in day to day use.
Sjcam, once again has, chosen to build a camera around a lesser performing SOC (h 22) like the lower performing A12! It's not at all surprising if the new cam stumbles!

The Gopro Hero 6 can record video at 240 fps: Is that rate useful enough for the $400 dollar price tag?

I own Street Guardian, GuardTrak and CellPower, most regular users here are probably aware of that, apologies if you didn't pickup on that, the manufacturer tag is applied to anyone that is a manufacturer, it's not specified which brands belong to any particular manufacturer, it did use to be easier to know this before signatures were disabled, unfortunately too many sellers were using signatures to spam their online stores
Do you see unacceptable quality control from your product manufacturers sometimes?

Here are some RAW photos which I took for Youtube cover: http://dropmefiles.com/qpeSZ

I don't really know why SJ8 Pro is not on Amazon yet but I'm pretty sure that it'll be there very soon. And to be honest I don't see any problems with purchasing the camera on Gearbest - you always have your money protected if you pay via PayPal.
Unfortunately, my security software flags dropmefiles as a security risk. Although I guess it's too late to do it, video is, at least for me, the real decider on a camera. The Hero 5 Black, for example, looks great, has great features, the menu is so-so. But the imagery does not compare favorably with the SJ7. I'll put the H5B up on eBay as it makes a poor, and somewhat expensive, paperweight.

A look at SJ8 video is what counts. Sadly, YT, Smugmug, etc. make a hash of 1080 HD video. Transcoded to 4K, it's pretty close to what the original material looks like.

Do you see unacceptable quality control from your product manufacturers sometimes?

we don't normally have issues in manufacturing but component suppliers can occasionally cause some grief, if you get a bad component or piece that is not noticed it can catch you out later on, eg we had a problem with some 3M tape that didn't show up until much later on so we could only go and replace the tape ad-hoc as we got reports back from people that were having problems, that was frustrating as we had no idea how many were affected and where they were, initially some of the replacement tape we had was also found to be problematic which was a further problem, other issues have been easier to deal with but no less annoying, we got some bad NAND flash early on which affected one production of a particular model but that was easier to deal with as we knew the affected serial number range so we just replaced the cameras, another model we had had issues that couldn't be fixed so we recalled them completely, refunded or replaced with another model as per the customers request and cancelled the product, costly, but reasonably easy to get sorted

it's not always easy to stay on top of things and avoid problems but we do what we can to always improve things where we can, however we can, if we find a problem we use that to try and learn how to do things better the next time, it's a never ending process, we don't do sport cameras but I know there are some extra levels of complexity involved which makes me glad we don't do them

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar SJ8 2
kamkar SJ8 12
TechTronic9000 SJ8 5
Back