Sjcam backwards leaning?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24437

Are they taking a great leap backwards?
The sj 8 pro has Ambarella and Sony and films 4k60 fps!
The new Ion line of three was recently announced and the top leader is called Krypton!
With a hisilicon chip and only manages 4k 30 fps?
Did the R&D product ideas leave with the Gitup crew?
BTW Superman's Krypton exploded!

Hehe.
It is indeed hard to find head or tail in that company.
I assume the new lines will sell even cheaper, and they will probably get better support from hisilicon.

Could also be they have been told to use Chinese hardware as much as they can, and when you get that order out there you better jump.

Hehe.
It is indeed hard to find head or tail in that company.
I assume the new lines will sell even cheaper, and they will probably get better support from hisilicon.

Could also be they have been told to use Chinese hardware as much as they can, and when you get that order out there you better jump.
I've been studying that company, they are not up to Ambarella or the GoPro/Socionext gp1's quality!

I think they don't have the manpower to follow thru with the big boys chip sets, so they throttle back to more mundane stuff they can handle.
DJI are also wrestling with the Osmo action, and i am pretty sure it will be the last camera they do with a Ambarella SOC in it, make sense with what i know AMBA have on the horizon.
Of course they need to find something better, from someone else, and i cant say for sure what that should be, maybe go the gopro route and make their own SOC maybe team up with hisilicon as the maker and DJI as the designer.

I think the low down of running a successful company are to bring in the right people with the right skills, and then keep them motivated, and then after that pay them a decent wage.
But i will personally take a lesser wage and work in a stimulating environment, over getting PAID but work with and for douchebags.

Last edited:
The new Ion series doesn't appear to be a step up for Sjcam, more a lateral move, and I didn't care for mgmt., with no appreciation for morale either!

I've been studying that company, they are not up to Ambarella or the GoPro/Socionext gp1's quality!
Isn't Ambarella a chinese manufacturer?Does it matter-everything's made in China!
I think they don't have the manpower to follow thru with the big boys chip sets, so they throttle back to more mundane stuff they can handle.
DJI are also wrestling with the Osmo action, and i am pretty sure it will be the last camera they do with a Ambarella SOC in it, make sense with what i know AMBA have on the horizon.
Of course they need to find something better, from someone else, and i cant say for sure what that should be, maybe go the gopro route and make their own SOC maybe team up with hisilicon as the maker and DJI as the designer.

I think the low down of running a successful company are to bring in the right people with the right skills, and then keep them motivated, and then after that pay them a decent wage.
But i will personally take a lesser wage and work in a stimulating environment, over getting PAID but work with and for douchebags.

Isn't Ambarella a chinese manufacturer?Does it matter-everything's made in China!
I think it originates in Silicon Valley, maybe why Chinese companies have difficulty getting good support! But it seems to be pretty international these days.
It is named after a fruit, same as Apple, Apricot etc. , the fruit is edible and related to the mango, but much less common.

Hisilicon has been doing a reasonable job recently, not top quality and its not going to compete on quality with GoPro, but decent for a cheaper product.

I think it originates in Silicon Valley, maybe why Chinese companies have difficulty getting good support! But it seems to be pretty international these days.
they have their headquarters in the USA, it's a Taiwan company, the support issues are nothing to do with language barriers, their company structure is very poor unfortunately, they're a very difficult company to work with

Officially it is the Cayman Islands, but since they are an R&D company and don't have their own factories, they don't really need a proper base.

"Ambarella was founded and incorporated in the Cayman Islands in January 2004. Our principal executive offices are located at 3101 Jay Street, Santa Clara, California. "

"We employ a fabless manufacturing strategy and are currently shipping the majority of our solutions in the 45, 32 and 28 nanometer, or nm, process nodes. As of January 31, 2016, we had 640 employees worldwide, approximately 72% of whom are in research and development. Our headquarters are located in Santa Clara, California, and we also have research and development design centers and business development offices in Taiwan, China, Italy, Japan, and South Korea. "

Taiwanese owned, where they go for tax avoidance purposes might be another matter, least of their problems though, the politics and infighting between departments is what makes them hard to work with

If they was able to release their full potential, it could be a good brand i think, but it seem like they are bogged down with poor management.

If they was able to release their full potential, it could be a good brand i think, but it seem like they are bogged down with poor management.
if the different departments would cooperate with each other they could be doing much better things, their years of GoPro business gave them an inflated view of their own position in the supply chain, unfortunately when that business dried up they had let a lot of opportunity go already, very hard to get it back I would think

yes.
Just cuz you have good sales and make a buck, that are not testament to your company being run as it should be ( a lean mean innovating and selling machine )
This will then come to light when sales start to drop, in which case investors should step in ASAP to protect their investment,,,,,,, but then again this often seem to not be the case, or maybe its just me assuming that things are able to better no matter what.

they have their headquarters in the USA, it's a Taiwan company, the support issues are nothing to do with language barriers, their company structure is very poor unfortunately, they're a very difficult company to work with
Might those be the reasons GoPro decided to partner with Socionext?

Lean, mean selling machine companies sometimes " pad the expense acct." with "nogoodnik" friends and nitwits that together make the association unprofitable. Shades of GoPro and the Karma flop!

Might those be the reasons GoPro decided to partner with Socionext?
GoPro were the only ones that really got proper support, there may be other reasons why they decided to change vendors, I think perhaps they had reached the level of what was possible with Ambarella and needed to move on for the product to continue to improve

I see no new SOCs from them no H3 / H33 or what ever they would call it.

And sjcam is moving on with the Ion series and a big heave-ho
to owners of the Sj 7,8 and 9!

Back