SJCAM Does NOT Honor Warranties!

A few years back i heard that if you lived in one state and ordered an item from another state, you paid no tax on the item, as you weren’t a resident of the state you purchased the item from, (now if only we had this here in the EU). is this still in practice or have they closed the loop hole?
If you are purchasing an item online from a seller that does not have operations in your state then you don't pay sales tax. If they have a store, warehouse, etc., then you do pay sales tax.

since getting married (years ago now) we’ve bought all out TV’s from a retailer here in the UK (John Lewis) who, in the price of their TV’s gave you a 5 year warranty, this was when all warranties were only for one year, other retailers selling the same TV might have been a few pounds cheaper but adding a 5 year warranty to their TV’s often would of added a further £50 - £150 to the cost of their TV’s
I won't touch John Lewis with a bargepole any more - a few months ago I bought a new TV for £2.5k. The first was faulty and was replaced and they then supplied a second hand damaged one, and when this was identified and reported back they offered me £50 to keep it as they couldn't see there was an issue and even worse charged me twice so I was £5k down with no TV. I had to complain to the MD to get refunds sorted and I'd never recommend them to anyone due to the hassle it took to get that sorted.

You only ever find out how good a company is when you have to deal with the customer service and they were seriously lacking like B&H here. They're great at selling socks, but not big items.

If B&H were listed as as offiical seller on the SJCAMHD page fair enough but as it is you don't even know if they're just buying them from China and then trying to pass on the buck to the manufacturer.

I’m surprised to hear that about your experience with TV warranty with JL, lucky I’ve not yet had to have any of my TV’s sent back to be repaired so can’t say how good their warranty is,

but till you mentioned it I’ve not heard anyone complain before about JL, now that you’ve mentioned it I’m sure if I do a google on JL there might be lots more

the one thing I did have repaired under warranty at JL was a Panasonic camera, it was just under 2 years old when I went in to explain the problem, they asked me if I still had my receipt for the camera, when I told them I more than likely bind it when I got home with the camera, they looked up my name on their computer and got the details from there, and two weeks later I returned to pick it up, all under warranty

I'd always heard good things in the past but unfortunately it was an absolute cluster f***. The worst part of it was that when the second TV arrived I thought something was off and then realised it had someone elses name and address on the side who I had known via another forum who had sent it back three months prior due to being faulty!

Small world or what?!

Hopefully, this issue have been resolved?

If you are purchasing an item online from a seller that does not have operations in your state then you don't pay sales tax. If they have a store, warehouse, etc., then you do pay sales tax.
The Congress has tried to pass a bill to tax our internet purchases but except for the in-state tax they have fortunately for us failed under GOP leadership!

Just wanted to say - beyond the pandering and false promises SJCAM will publicly make on this forum, they do not actually do anything when you then go ahead and contact them.

I don't want anything from these guys any longer and frankly the Hero 5 Black is looking pretty darn good to me at the moment. SJCAM has the worst customer service of any company I've dealt with so far.

all good. like i said, i dont want anything from these guys and i'm moving on, but good luck to the rest of you guys. i'll still be on the forum obviously, but once the first batch of hero 5's is out and minor things fixed i'm looking forward to picking one up!

all good. like i said, i dont want anything from these guys and i'm moving on, but good luck to the rest of you guys. i'll still be on the forum obviously, but once the first batch of hero 5's is out and minor things fixed i'm looking forward to picking one up!
I'm sure the Hero 5 is going to be a much better experience for you regardless

The reviews look promising, but if one wants to use photo filters, it seems likely that no adapters for Hero 4 will fit the new "Super Suit" 60 m. case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony sells high grade action cams with waterproof cases that promise approx. 60 meter water depth use, however in (14) Getting Started of the manual for the fdr x 3000, Water Leakage" In the unlikely event that a malfunction of the Underwater Housing causes damage due to water leakage, Sony does not guarantee against damages to the equipment contained in it(camera,battery pack , etc.)and the recorded contents ,nor expenses entailed in the Photography"!
What is a warranty worth?

I’m surprised to hear that about your experience with TV warranty with JL, lucky I’ve not yet had to have any of my TV’s sent back to be repaired so can’t say how good their warranty is,

but till you mentioned it I’ve not heard anyone complain before about JL, now that you’ve mentioned it I’m sure if I do a google on JL there might be lots more

the one thing I did have repaired under warranty at JL was a Panasonic camera, it was just under 2 years old when I went in to explain the problem, they asked me if I still had my receipt for the camera, when I told them I more than likely bind it when I got home with the camera, they looked up my name on their computer and got the details from there, and two weeks later I returned to pick it up, all under warranty

Maybe different stores provide different levels of service.

I had a faulty camera. Took it back to my local store and they simply gave me a new one there and then. I also had another product, wireless telephones, but they just said we don't bother repairing most items and again gave me a brand new one in exchange despite it being a long way down the line from when I purchased.

I have heard tv's are different though and subject to repair - I'm guessing the value has something to do with it when you're talking £2.5K. Wasn't an LG OLED by any chance was it?

As for SJCAM, sounds like consumer law is really weak in the US. In the UK, you have up to 6 years from the date of purchase (it depends on the product): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ng-complaints-official-guarantee-expires.html

I think the service B&H offer within that 30 days is great, beyond that though it all falls apart when you're talking about imported products with no local representation
Is it true that the Mainland gov't subsidizes Chinese manufacturers' shipping costs?

Is it true that the Mainland gov't subsidizes Chinese manufacturers' shipping costs?

no such agreement I know of, you may be thinking of the international postal agreement though which states that the sending country only needs to collect payment for their end of the process, the receiving end is not paid for delivering, this weighs heavily in favour of China as obviously their end is the cheapest part of the delivery process

I was just online to National Review: under UPU rules, a U.N. agency the USPS is charging Chinese companies less to deliver goods to US customers than it charges our own companies to deliver within our contiguous states!
These international agreements are being reviewed!
I 've been curious how the items I buy from China on Ebay can ship as cheaply as they do. Our taxes and fees are paying the freight!

I was just online to National Review: under UPU rules, a U.N. agency the USPS is charging Chinese companies less to deliver goods to US customers than it charges our own companies to deliver within our contiguous states!
These international agreements are being reviewed!
I 've been curious how the items I buy from China on Ebay can ship as cheaply as they do. Our taxes and fees are paying the freight!

it's not just goods from China, for any member nation of the agreement your postal service does not charge anything for the delivery on your end, if I send something from here I'm paying the local content, the receiving end is not paid, it's a reciprocal agreement and anything you send to China they don't get paid for delivering to the end destination either, this agreement started before eCommerce was a thing though and these days hugely favours these online sellers

The postal agreement dates back to sailing ship days when it was the only viable way to resolve the problem. Given the heavy usage and high operating costs today for postal services I would not be surprised if this arrangement gets amended ;) It does favor some online sellers but not others based on the sellers location. If the price is exactly the same, an item bought in the US will be cheaper overall from China than the same item bought from a US seller one State away, even though the actual shipping costs are much higher coming from China. I'm not sure how to feel about this because it allows me bargains yet it hurts my countries overall economy too :whistle:

One of the things I watch here on DCT is how manufacturers and sellers deal with issues such as firmware updates, problem solving, and warranty service. It goes from awful to excellent and is evident to those of us who look for that. SJCAM does seem to make some good stuff (I don't own any or have any firsthand experience with this) but there is much more to the game than just making and marketing a product. I have experience with a well-regarded cam that gave me problems which were not resolved, and I've since noticed that others also see the lack of support in other ways. I see similar with some high-end name brands too. I have some cams where I knew from the start I was on my own after clicking "Buy Now". I bought once from a well-regarded seller who warrantied a dud with what was certainly a used cam- not once but twice :eek:

Do your research well and even then don't expect that you are immune to being the one who is the exception to what normally happens. Much of life is just a matter of luck and all you can do is try :cool:

Phil

All good points! Let the buyer beware! You get what you pay for! Don't bet that which you can't afford to lose! I wanted a POV action cam ,so I have an original, Yi, a Git 2, and now SJCam's Star! All serve my purposes. If they were all made in the west I would have had a much bigger expenditure. Why buy a Chinese-made Hero 4 , when you can have equal performance in the Chinese-made SJCam sj7 Star from a company servicing its product post-sale?
Since we have a huge trade deficit with China , and given that they tweak the yuan value they don't need the US taxpayer/postal service patron subsidizing their shipping cost!
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back