SJCAM films 2 month 565Km swim from England to Suderoog

Nigel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Gitup F1+G3ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Viofo A229ꞈꞈꞈꞈꞈ Blueskysea B4K
The owner of an SJCAM camera left on an East Yorkshire beach in England and then found washed up 565Km away on the German island of Suderoog near the Danish border has been traced.

William Etherton, 10, lost the device while filming himself and his 12-year-old sister Poppy at Thornwick Bay, near Flamborough Cliffs, in September.

"When I put it on the rock we were seeing who could get a fish first in the tide pools and then I forgot it," said William, who lives near Beverley.

The action camera is still working.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-42250694

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yes, I think we will be offering them something :)

Thanks for sharing!
Good to see a bit of Christmas sprite :D

In case you didn't see it, the finder's Facebook thread (Click on Facebook icon on first video) can put you in touch with the finder (owns the photos), the owner(owns the video) and BBC Television (might like a Christmas update to the story).

I guess most of the rust is because of moisture in the air when the camera was put in the case which caused condensation when it fell in the cold water and the condensation collected in the bottom left corner (right of photo), the rust came from condensation on the non-stainless steel circlips you use on the inside of the buttons.

Good to see that the screws didn't rust, real stainless steel :)
Also nice to see that it floats, not all action cameras do.

Great story from a beach near me. Good thing it wasn't set to loop recording, so the family video clips on the beach were not lost.

Great story from a beach near me. Good thing it wasn't set to loop recording, so the family video clips on the beach were not lost.
And I was thinking that SJCAM should add a solar panel to recharge the batteries during the day so that we would have seen ships, oil rigs, wind turbines, and a couple of ex-hurricanes during the journey!

Thats pretty cool :)

Back