SJCam M10 as a dashcam

Thanks TeriTerryTarry for the quick feedback.

Few more questions:
No lose of camera settings like date/time?
Do they provide the 12V power adapter?
Are you using their supplied power adapter?
Or your own small USB car charger with USB female outlet then connecting with a USB male to male cable?
If I recall correctly, when the battery is removed the date/time resets to default. I've always left the battery in the camera while using it as a dash cam so I'm not sure what happens with the date/time (or other settings) when using it without a battery. A 12V adapter was not included with the camera when I bought my SJ4000 WiFi about a year ago. I'm using a separately purchased 12V adapter having a USB port along with a USB x micro USB cable connected to the camera. So far I haven't had a problem with the battery swelling while using the SJCam as a dash cam in the southern US.

I saw some people mention that it can explode when charging without main battery for SJ4000. Not sure if M10 has the same kind of back up battery or not.

Post I saw:
"Hello,

i bought the genuine SJCAM 4000 wifi and there is a problem with the back-up battery. When charging or if you use the cam without the main-battery with charging-cable attached, the little back-up battery which saves date and time settings will explode!
So everybody be careful!
At metropolitanmonkey http://metropolitanmonkey.com/vorsicht-sj4000-wifi-explodiert/ there are already some people saying, that there is a new version without this little back-up-battery" source https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29658623&postcount=3238

I saw some people mention that it can explode when charging without main battery for SJ4000. Not sure if M10 has the same kind of back up battery or not.

Post I saw:
"Hello,

i bought the genuine SJCAM 4000 wifi and there is a problem with the back-up battery. When charging or if you use the cam without the main-battery with charging-cable attached, the little back-up battery which saves date and time settings will explode!
So everybody be careful!
At metropolitanmonkey http://metropolitanmonkey.com/vorsicht-sj4000-wifi-explodiert/ there are already some people saying, that there is a new version without this little back-up-battery" source https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29658623&postcount=3238
I bought my SJ4000 WiFi about a year after the post in RCGroup. However, on those occasions when I used the camera without the battery but connected to an AC adapter, 12V adapter or USB power bank I never had a problem. I don't know about the M10.

So can I say all SJCAM model cannot save the last file and would reset date/clock to default if running as car mode without battery insert?

So can I say all SJCAM model cannot save the last file and would reset date/clock to default if running as car mode without battery insert?
I don't know.

"Hello,

So everybody be careful!
This is BS! When the battery is out of the camera there's nothing being charged. The camera is just being powered, nothing else.

No. I can say with almost 100% certainty that all action cameras have a RTC cell inside to keep the settings and the time/date when the battery is removed, otherwise it would be very impractical to set everything again when someone is out and about riding, hiking, surfing, etc and has to replace the battery to keep recording.

No. I can say with almost 100% certainty that all action cameras have a RTC cell inside to keep the settings and the time/date when the battery is removed, otherwise it would be very impractical to set everything again when someone is out and about riding, hiking, surfing, etc and has to replace the battery to keep recording.
Not 100%, for very earlier SJ4000 batch does not come with RTC cell.

Yes I believe so. It was reliable up until then. But I now wouldn't recommend it as a dash cam. I should have listened to others on here. Get a dash cam with a capacitor instead.
After I looked back the message, I think philipfreire already gave me the answer. There must have the battery insert for car mode to get all working fine. Like keeping the settings overnight and saving the last recording file. Also don't feel disappointed that the battery would become swelling after 1 or 2 hot summer season. It's ok I can replace it but it would struck inside the battery housing and couldn't be taken out.
Otherwise, Like philipfreire said that should better looking for a camera with capacitor built in.

@philipfreire, please let me know if you found a better one.:)

After I looked back the message, I think philipfreire already gave me the answer. There must have the battery insert for car mode to get all working fine. Like keeping the settings overnight and saving the last recording file. Also don't feel disappointed that the battery would become swelling after 1 or 2 hot summer season. It's ok I can replace it but it would struck inside the battery housing and couldn't be taken out.
Otherwise, Like philipfreire said that should better looking for a camera with capacitor built in.

I think SJ4000 is a better model to use as dash cam even if it has a swollen battery, I saw a video unscrewing the case and removing battery

If M10 can be unscrewed that would be great, main problem is swollen battery stuck in the cam.

A video on how the inside of the battery looks like

Last edited:
Not 100%, for very earlier SJ4000 batch does not come with RTC cell.
That's why I wrote "almost 100%". Anyway, we're talking about cameras that are more recent than those.

I am giving up the hope of using the SJCAM camera as a real dash cam. Looking the Mobius right now. It can allow the user to replace the battery with their optional capacitor $10 easy. So no more battery swelling risk and last file saving issue anymore.

From the Mobius 2 manual:

Super Capacitor A super capacitor (supercap) should be used whenever the camera is used for extended periods of time in an unfriendly environment, for example when used as a dash cam. LiPo batteries are not designed for use with high / low temperatures as found inside motorized vehicles. The camera must be powered by external power if a supercap is installed. In addition, the 'Power On - Auto Record" parameter must be set to either 'External' or 'Both'. A supercap only has enough capacity for a few seconds of use. This is enough to save the last video clip and correctly power down when external power is disconnected. The supercap also has enough reserve power to keep the internal RTC (Real Time Clock) running for a few days when the camera is disconnected. The supercap needs up to a minute to fully charge.

Last edited:
I am giving up the hope of using the SJCAM camera as a real dash cam.
And you're looking at a Mobius? Why don't you start looking at real dashcams?

What brand/class memory card is the best for M10 / Sjcam?

Anyone encountered any memory card that does not work with Sjcam?

Hi, I have been using the M10 as a dashcam for about a week without any problems. Since yesterday, I realised the date and time resets every time I power down the car. I leave the M10 battery in the camera all the time. All settings are for dashcam. Is there something wrong with the camera?

Hi, I have been using the M10 as a dashcam for about a week without any problems. Since yesterday, I realised the date and time resets every time I power down the car. I leave the M10 battery in the camera all the time. All settings are for dashcam. Is there something wrong with the camera?
I am using M10. Date and time will reset if the battery is taken out of the cam for more than 10 seconds. When you power down the car, and if your battery is spoiled, the date and time will not be saved. Try changing a new battery. I always have battery inside M10, after I power down the car and did not on engine to drive for 7 days, after 7 days I turn on the cam and I see the date and time is still accurate.

When you power down the car, and if your battery is spoiled,
hi blink, my battery still works fine. when I pulled out the USB power cable and turn the camera on, it powers up normally. that's why I'm baffled.

hi blink, my battery still works fine. when I pulled out the USB power cable and turn the camera on, it powers up normally. that's why I'm baffled.
It may be the battery will be dead after a few hours. You pull out usb power cable that time still got power then you turn off, if battery is spoil, after a few hours it auto drain battery finish even if it is switch off. Anyway M10 battery is not that good, it is not suitable to be used in car. It will get swollen after a few months, maybe the battery cannot take much heat because when the cam is on the cam is hot.

"it would struck inside the battery housing and couldn't be taken out" here is a video of it >

Back