SJCAM M20

eliebc

Reaction score
Country
Lebanon
hey guys, did anyone try the new M20? please share your reviews.
they say it can shoot RAW and has 16 mpx... I really need to know expert opinion or someone who tried it.
thank you.

delayed as far as I understand

Today is release day ? When please . Thank you

Yup, today is release day, I'm waiting for mine to ship expedited to the West coast, so I expect I'll have it as soon as any regular user in the U.S. will.

I'll upload samples from my usage case (as a "dash cam" for my 75min-each-way bike commute) as soon as I can, I'd expect dashcam footage from cars to be even better.

While we're waiting, the Gitup Git2 Pro uses exactly the same sensor and processing chip -- looking through samples from that camera can give you at least an idea of what the combo is capable of with decent firmware... which is to say, pretty impressive even up against a Hero 3+ Black.

Be aware: there are a lot of 5000x vs. Git2 comparison videos on YouTube, and most of them are from before SJCAM updated the gyro functionality... as I understand it, there's now very little difference in stabilization ability between those two cameras. I'd expect/hope their "lessons learned" have already been applied to the M20.

FWIW, I'm also a photographer who works exclusively in RAW, so provided I can get the images into Lightroom (using the Git2 instructions I found), I'll also be testing that side of things out.

Last edited:
will be waiting for your feedback...

Nice to see a creative review that explores what the camera can do and also avoids the usual boring approach to the un-boxing ritual.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review Nate. Much more intelligent than Dude's reviews on the SJCam website.

I'd like to get a sense of its ability to focus at 50' and more. And its ability to image stabilize. These mean alot as I'd use it as a dashcam.

Nighttime image is disappointing. Surprised that it's not better, given the Sony IMX206. Seems like the Git2 is better.

Thanks for the review, Nate!

If you're willing to post a follow-up, I'm definitely interested in:
  • Image stabilization: until the latest firmware, stabilized 5000x footage was prone to a nasty rolling (tilting side to side like an airplane) effect -- i.e. it was only stabilizing up/down & left/right movement. I'm hoping the M20 comes with better IS out of the box than the 5000x did.
  • Whether settings impact low light performance: I've heard WDR can make cameras worse in low light. Also, your night images didn't specify the resolution or framerate -- have you tried 1080p/30? (Seems like a low light sweet spot on many action cams.) Finally, wondering if using the "High" bitrate has any effect on detail.
  • Whether your unit is displaying the bug reported on an SJCAM support board, where the FOV setting has no effect on photos or video.
Mine should arrive next week... I'm just being impatient. (grin)

Last edited:
Where is the most trusted place to order the sjcam m20? Is there any company that has somewhat fast shipping?

Where is the most trusted place to order the sjcam m20? Is there any company that has somewhat fast shipping?
Fast shipping wont help unless they have some to ship ;)

Nice video Nathyn, we could do with a few more of those instead of all the boring unboxing vids.

Although it did leave me wondering if the gyro stabilisation works yet...

Does anyone know if you can charge the battery on the sjcam m20 while your recording?

I bought m20 becos of RAW but i can't found any convertor to open it and can't solve it with the app provided by support also! attached the raw file that convert with the app that sjcam support provided

Attachments

• 2016_0511_120023_011.RAW.jpg
    2016_0511_120023_011.RAW.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Exactly the same situation!

Who knows how to solve this problem?
Well there is no point using the 5000x elite convertor since that is 12MP and this is 16MP, and there is no point using the Git2 convertor because that has 16 bit raw pixels while this has 12 bit raw pixels.

So now you know what the problem is...

Yeah, anyway now the most important is how to solve this problem...
Buy a Git2? Same sensor, fantastic RAW photos :D

:D I would have bought but i've already bought this one...
I DO hope that someone will find a solution for this problem soon.
I had a play with your file above and the Git2 converter with some changes to the settings, I think I can see a laptop in the foreground and a window in the background? But there is something very wrong and since I don't have an M20 I am giving up, sorry.

If you need any other information or more photos - i can send!
I love your wallpaper :D

M20_Laptop.jpg

Will the sjcam 4000 and 5000 battery work in the sjcam m20? Also does anyone know if you can charge your battery while your recording?

The M20 battery is different from all previous SJCAM models. You *can*, however, charge while recording, and there's full dashcam capability, i.e. you can have it auto turn off when it loses AC power, and auto start recording when powered on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
5 M20 0
J M20 2
O M20 9
K M20 14
K M20 1
Back