SJCAM Printed Manuals - New Versions with Updated Warnings, QR Code, etc

TonyCams

Manufacturer
Reaction score
Country
China
Hello guys, we are updating our SJCAM manuals after seeing several things that needed updated in the SJ7 manual. The download link has manuals for all current models so you will be able to find you.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzjYFBpHOFOrWExEMEtPT2dPZVU

Please let us know if you find any errors or have comments or suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Comments on new SJ7 guide:

1. Thanks for changing the name to Quick Start Guide. That helps eliminate confusion with the official User's Manual.
2. Also thanks for correcting the Measurements and Weight.
3. On page 2, Safety Warning 7 is not consistent with 3.B on page 10 nor with the official User's Manual. In your e-mail to me you strongly advised that the battery should be removed when using the camera as a dash cam. Also no mention is made of this in no. 5 on page 10 (might be redundant if you correct 3.B).
4. On page 10, nos. 3 and 5 and possibly elsewhere, the correct name for dash cam mode is Car DV according to the camera menu. Please be consistent.

EDIT: 5. I see you also added "V1.0" to the back cover. I thank you for that as well. It will help keep track of all versions of the Guide.

Last edited:
Comments on new SJ7 guide (continued):

6. In my opinion the warnings about use as a dash cam and removal of the battery need to be much more explicit. If the battery needs to be removed as a matter of safety when one is recording video while using an external power source then it should be identified as such. As I mentioned in comments on the first manual, many of the Guide's safety warnings have to do with operating precautions, not actual safety warnings. For example, the warnings about magnetic fields, electrical motors, etc., aren't matters of safety, they're to prevent data loss. When you mix operating precautions with safety warnings it diminishes the importance of safety.

You should also consider the larger implications for all SJCam cameras. I don't know if other manuals, printed or online, include appropriately strong warnings not to record video and charge the camera at the same time. If not, a stand-alone statement should be issued on the SJCam website warning users of all its cameras that this is a safety issue. Even if all other manuals for all other cameras do address the issue, a stand-alone statement should still be issued for SJ7s because the 30,000 or so existing owners need to be warned.

Safety Warning 3 should explicitly state that the SJ7 should not be used as a dash camera during the day. Unless and until you change the faceplate material, use as a dash cam during the day has the potential to lead to deformation, rendering the camera inoperable. Telling users not to leave it in hot environments or exposed to direct sunlight "for long periods" is too soft: how long is "long"?

It's also not clear if the warning about not recording while charging the battery using a DC adapter also applies to AC adapters and USB power banks. If the warning applies to all external power sources it should be stated as such.

EDIT: I also believe that SJCam should institute a program of serial numbers (S/N) and camera registration for owners. Maybe you could use the verification code on the side of the box as the S/N. Owners can register their cameras for warranty purposes and to receive notifications of firmware revisions, updates to manuals, new SJCam products, special deals available to current owners, etc. More importantly, it could be used to notify them of important safety issues. Obviously this means registration would need to include owners' e-mail.

In the case of the SJ7 you could warn owners directly about exposing cameras to direct sunlight and recording while charging. It will help determine whether a problem affects an owner because you could identify cameras by S/N. For example, I have what I consider "camera body 1.0" because, as far as I'm aware, you've changed the location of the integral microphone from the side to the front on camera body 2.0. Now you're considering changes to the body again based on the deformation problem so new ones would be 3.0. If cameras were registered by S/N then you could directly notify all owners of 1.0 and 2.0 cameras of the problem and include links to the new manuals as well.

Last edited:
Lots to digest. We will review and adjust as seen fit... thanks!

I strongly agree with Teri's statement above. If there is a quality defect that affects only a small number of cameras, you should be able to isolate the affected units by lot number/serial number. In the long run it will protect SJCam because it will limit liability in the case of an isolated problem. I have an SJ7 and I'd really like to know if it is one of the cameras that has the heating issue or if it will be OK in the long run. No one wants to ship goods back to China for repair or replacement and $200.00 is a lot of money when there is a risk of premature failure due to overheating. I have some training in electronics and heat is one of the leading causes of component failures. These cameras are made to use in outdoor sport situations and in my case I have it mounted on a motorcycle helmet where it is in direct summer sun while being used. I have never owned an action cam that gets as hot as the SJ7. If I can't use the camera in outdoor sunny situations, it is of no value to me.

Yes, the S/N and warranty registration have been recommended. Thanks guys

Back