Blink Blink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased a SJCcam S7 star with an external microphone a while ago. To be honest, it has performed way beyond my expectations (video clarity and voice quality). My only headache is the wind noise it picks in my helmet (when the helmet is open slightly or I am riding on the motorway).

Last edited:
Uh... I don't want to rain on your parade but... the audio sux. It's heavily overloaded. Drop the gain on the mic. If that doesn't fix it, it's time to come up with a custom cable to allow using a third-party mic.

Here's a general how-to about helmet mic use. Richy doesn't use the SJ7 (didn't exist when this video was shot), but basic info is very useful.

Massive difference. Thanks :cool:

Last edited:
Uh... I don't want to rain on your parade but... the audio sux. It's heavily overloaded. Drop the gain on the mic. If that doesn't fix it, it's time to come up with a custom cable to allow using a third-party mic.

Here's a general how-to about helmet mic use. Richy doesn't use the SJ7 (didn't exist when this video was shot), but basic info is very useful.
Thanks for sharing!

@Blink Blink Sorry about harshing your mellow on the audio, but there it is.

Richy does some interesting videos but, as some Brits riding a Honda Goldwing put it, he does natter on a bit. [/grin]

For anyone who rides, check out his two Stelvio pass videos. #1 is an interesting ride, even though it's up the easier route from Bormio, to the south. #2 has some truly frightening narration (you'll know it when you hear it) and a not so funny sequence when getting gas at the end of the descent (spoiler alert: no bikes go up in flames but one is hurt). [/open eyes and open mouth and EEEEK!]
Almost purely out of self-promotion, here's my trip up the north road. A small bit of shouted, in German, obscenity, about The Camper From Hell blocking the road is mostly ducked out. [/grin]
SJ7 note: This is another sample of: shooting through multiple sets of 4 Gb files (good luck finding the breaks in files), shooting 1080p @ 60 fps, gyro on, and transcoding to 4K. Also, the SJCam app was running the entire time, even though the Samsung S7 isn't visible (stored in the tank bag). It was also playing music, via BT, to my helmet intercom (Sena 20S).

Last edited:
ADDED: Most of the live audio has been dropped below the music, but some engine sound is still heard. The camera was in the frame mount, as I didn't have the "motorcycle case". The mic is the internal mic. While I wish I didn't get a lot of wind noise, overall, the audio was still usable.

@Blink Blink Sorry about harshing your mellow on the audio, but there it is.

Richy does some interesting videos but, as some Brits riding a Honda Goldwing put it, he does natter on a bit. [/grin]

For anyone who rides, check out his two Stelvio pass videos. #1 is an interesting ride, even though it's up the easier route from Bormio, to the south. #2 has some truly frightening narration (you'll know it when you hear it) and a not so funny sequence when getting gas at the end of the descent (spoiler alert: no bikes go up in flames but one is hurt). [/open eyes and open mouth and EEEEK!]
Almost purely out of self-promotion, here's my trip up the north road. A small bit of shouted, in German, obscenity, about The Camper From Hell blocking the road is mostly ducked out. [/grin]
SJ7 note: This is another sample of: shooting through multiple sets of 4 Gb files (good luck finding the breaks in files), shooting 1080p @ 60 fps, gyro on, and transcoding to 4K. Also, the SJCam app was running the entire time, even though the Samsung S7 isn't visible (stored in the tank bag). It was also playing music, via BT, to my helmet intercom (Sena 20S).
Was any of these videos made with an SJCam S7 star with an external microphone? Where was their external microphone placed in their helmet (in front of the helmet, at the side or under the paddings?). Finally, what settings was the microphone's level on the camera as they made the recording.

See Richy's video for the details on his gear. See my post above for my gear. IIRC, my mic level was left at 80%.

I didn't expect to get much usable audio at any real speed but I hoped I could get enough motor sounds when I got on the throttle. And that's about how it worked out. There are samples of raw audio in these videos.

Drop in at about 19:00 to get the "cow sequence", where the music's ducked to let the sounds of the cow bells through.

Same thing here - drop in around 19:00 for more cows. Dunno why cows show up at 19:00 on both videos. It must be some sort of cosmic coincidence... [/wink and grin]

OK, I am getting lost between all the videos you are posting on this thread mate (which is just a video test of the SJCam S7 star). Posting replies with numerous videos not about the thread itself is just confusing.

To keep the thread on track and to let myself or anyone considering to purchase an external microphone with their SJCam make an informed comparison, it would be great if you stick to the thread scope itself and not dumb various videos within the thread. The only thing I got from your reply was the 80% mic level and it took me a while to even see that.

Last edited:
hey! did u hear anything from sjcam fixing wind noise issue with the external camera? also can u plz tell me why I can't post in sjcam forum? There is nowhere 'post' or 'reply' button. I created my account today.

The external mic wind noise issue, as best I can tell, was a user problem. That is, the mic wasn't put in the best place to minimize wind noise.

The SJCam forum was hit by a wave of spam from a Korean on-line betting operator. Since then, all requests for a user account are checked manually. As soon as that's done, you'll be able to post on the SJCam forums.

The external mic wind noise issue, as best I can tell, was a user problem. That is, the mic wasn't put in the best place to minimize wind noise.

The SJCam forum was hit by a wave of spam from a Korean on-line betting operator. Since then, all requests for a user account are checked manually. As soon as that's done, you'll be able to post on the SJCam forums.

Oh, no. I have tested for past 5 days. It's not a placement issue. I tried every position. Even put sponge/deadcat/tape. Nothing worked.

This is what I can tell from my more than 20 tests done so far.

1. Internal is off when the external is connected.
2. It's solely due to the fact that the ext microphone is so sensitive. For static recording, that would be wonderful. Because it can pick up even if you whisper. But for recordings that involve movement specially accompanied by wind sounds, that's going to be major problem and that's what happening with anybody who is trying to use the camera with the ext. microphone for motovlogging.

I think Sjcam should address this issue.

1. I think they can decrease the sensitivity.
2. Or they should build a new mic specially for motovlogging purposes with wind noise cancellation technology.
3. If that sound too much, they should simply give us a adapter so we can use 3.5 mm jack of any microphone.

I saw you have a very good reputation in the forum. I hope you can have sjcam give it a read.

You can put that in the SJCam forums and hope that SJCam comes up with a better fit for this requirement. being blunt, don't hold your breath, waiting that to happen.

The route more likely to give the results you're after is to modify the mic cable to accept the mic of your choice. AFAIK, the SJCam mic uses two wires; cut the wire, solder on a 3.5 mm jack, and take it from there. Unfortunately, if anyone has experimented with different mics for the SJ7, they haven't posted anything about it.

By now you should be able to post on the SJCam forums. If not, let me know.

Finally, please keep in mind I don't have any connection with SJCam or SJCam dealers. I'm just one more person posting, A lot. LOL

You can put that in the SJCam forums and hope that SJCam comes up with a better fit for this requirement. being blunt, don't hold your breath, waiting that to happen.

The route more likely to give the results you're after is to modify the mic cable to accept the mic of your choice. AFAIK, the SJCam mic uses two wires; cut the wire, solder on a 3.5 mm jack, and take it from there. Unfortunately, if anyone has experimented with different mics for the SJ7, they haven't posted anything about it.

By now you should be able to post on the SJCam forums. If not, let me know.

Finally, please keep in mind I don't have any connection with SJCam or SJCam dealers. I'm just one more person posting, A lot. LOL

I do know that you do not work for sjcam. Just thought the chances of your opinion being taken into consideration could be more. Anyway, I did watch a video by a guy named nikendo (not sure about the name). Will try to do whatever he said very soon. Hope that might work. Also, I have found a fix. 80% WIND NOISE reduced now. I will post a vid about it very soon on youtube. Cheers!

I only wish I have more influence with SJCam. I only wish I had $1,000,000, too. [/wink]

Good, you found Nianekos' video that addresses the mic and power cable issue.

What did you come up with that cuts down wind noise?

Back