SJCAM SJ4000+

I am in the process of writing a review for this camera, but I just have to say that I am deeply disappointed in SJCAM.
Its unbelievable. Do they think their buyers are idiots?

Why would anyone buy this for 150$?

For 90$ it would be great but in this price range there are much, much better choices. Hey, add only 30$ and you can buy Sony action cam.

I thought they will be back on track after SJ5000 fiasco, but these guys are taking the piss. I realized that when I looked at my images and their sharpness.

For 150$ I feel cheated.

2K? Come on! It makes no difference...

Is it just me?

Overall, I like the performance of my SJ4000. If there's one issue, it's shutter speed of 30 fps at regular highway speeds--65 mph or a blink over 100 kph.

The logical shutter speed of 1/30th of a second doesn't freeze much detail of things your are passing by. When you're stopped in traffic, it's very sharp.

I would favor higher framerates over higher resolution any day, but it seems that people get excited about 2K and 4K--never mind the useless low framerates for a dashcam or action-cam at those higher resolutions.
And higher framerate means *much* worse night / low light footage. There is no free lunch.
Personally Id prefer lower framerates than 30fps.

I don't understand a word at all from him :(
Here is my English unboxing:

According to VLC readings, it is 60 frames per second.
It has real 60 fps for 1080p and also 120fps for 720p. It even works better than the SJ5000+ (better image)
120 fps low light, closeup

120 fps, day light

I am in the process of writing a review for this camera, but I just have to say that I am deeply disappointed in SJCAM.
Its unbelievable. Do they think their buyers are idiots?

Why would anyone buy this for 150$?

For 90$ it would be great but in this price range there are much, much better choices. Hey, add only 30$ and you can buy Sony action cam.

I thought they will be back on track after SJ5000 fiasco, but these guys are taking the piss. I realized that when I looked at my images and their sharpness.

For 150$ I feel cheated.

2K? Come on! It makes no difference...

Is it just me?

I'm also disappointed by it as it has a lot of problems:
- Huge lens glare
- Overexposes or underexposes - meaning low dynamic range
- WDR (wide dynamic range) is not functional, it's just a small bump in brightness
- Image stabilization, it's jut for fun as it does nothing
- The lens has a problem and creates distortions at sides

And SJ did it again, it has already released a newer revision (batch) of the 4000+, now this one fixes the lens and also adds the missing Gyro responsible for image stabilization.

I'm not aware of the intricacies of SJCAM but from what I have read and seen it seems that the first batch SHOULD have been a trial run. They appear to have found numerous flaws etc in their camera and as such have changed a few things in the second batch. However, it seems they did not treat it as a trial run and as such are now rueing their mistakes. I hope they do bring it back because I love the SJ1000 and the SJ4000.

They are doing the same with the M10+ as it's the same platform in another package, M10+ , now they are advertising the M10+ Gyro edition.

Is there anyway to increase the recording bit rate. I have seen Xiaomi Yi 2K video at 35Mb/s over youtube. The video quality is wonderful when compare with its original 20Mb/s settings.

I found that the 2K video for SJ4000+ also 20Mb/s only, the video is shape but not as good as Xiaomi Yi at 35Mb/s quality. Before Xiaomi officially release the 2K support rom, this feature was done through a file "autoexec.ash" hack during boot up.

Is there any similar hack for SJ4000+ ?

shutter speed of 1/30th of a second doesn't freeze much detail
Frame rate is not the same as shutter speed.
For example in bright sunlight you could be getting 30 frames per second, but each frame is a snapshot of 1/1000 second.
That would be good for capturing stills (number plates) but it also gives a nasty strobing effect which in my opinion makes video horrible to watch.

Of course cameras like these don't have an actual shutter or adjustable iris, so compromises are being made.

Is there anyway to increase the recording bit rate. I have seen Xiaomi Yi 2K video at 35Mb/s over youtube. The video quality is wonderful when compare with its original 20Mb/s settings.

I found that the 2K video for SJ4000+ also 20Mb/s only, the video is shape but not as good as Xiaomi Yi at 35Mb/s quality. Before Xiaomi officially release the 2K support rom, this feature was done through a file "autoexec.ash" hack during boot up.

Is there any similar hack for SJ4000+ ?

Not of what I'm aware, in the feature it my have better image quality as it has very capable hardware (chipset).

New firmware release for the 4000+ series. The 2.2 version is working for both existing versions (with and without gyro).

Change log for V2.2
1. Optimize the continue shooting function
a) Add option of 30 frames per second’s shooting.
b) Add the indicator instruction when taking continue shooting.
c) Change English OSD “Sequence” into “Burst Mode”.
d) Fix the bug that without watermark when taking continue shooting.
2. Add a resolution type of VGA@240FPS when taking video.
3. Add low speed function into the menu for taking video, -2X / -4X / -8X optional.
4. Fix bugs
a) Fix the bug that when connect to WIFI with low power, camera cannot turn off automatically.
b) Change the Chinese/English OSD “stabilization” into “Burst Mode”, and change the “Image Stabilization” into “Gyroscope stabilization”.
c) Fix the bug that when camera connected to APP, there is a probability for WIFI image to display broken watermark and lead to hang.
d) Fix the bug that when camera connected to APP to set delayed video, the delayed video time of DV doesn’t match app’s time.

The complete change log and organized firmware files: http://techtronic9000.blogspot.com/

Quick video of how to upgrade:

Just tested the in camera slow motion function and the 240fps mode. It's very useful as you will not need any more software to edit the videos.

When selecting -8x the maximum 240 fps is selected and the resolution is set at 480p. For the -4x the 120fps / 720p combination is used. The only issue i fund while testing is that at -2x instead of 60fps/1080p the camera still chooses the 720p resolution.

240fps 480p

120fps 720p

@TechTronic9000 Nice videos! thanks for sharing.

Regarding the Gyro anti-shake, we believe you received one of the first 1000pc batch.

These did not have Gyro anti-shake built in. I am not sure how the SJ4000+ was marketed by our resellers, but the first batch did not have the Gyro built-in.

With exception to the first 1000 units which sold out months ago, all Sj4000+ 2K should have built-in Gyro anti-shake stabilizer.

Firmware updates add Rotation, slow motion etc (you already shot video review).

Thanks for people on this thread /forum who have been supporting SJCAM products.

does the sjcam auto record when car is started?

does it loop record? 1 min? 3 min?

My video review of SJ4000+
Note : It appears that I also got the first-batch version which has zero stabilization.
Note 2: This does not change one of the biggest disadvantage - photo quality and overall value for the money camera provides.
Note 3 : sample footage can be downloaded on my blog.

Last edited:
I have also did a short WB test
Auto: too blue
Daylight is simply weird
Cloudy is OK, but too yellow / red to use as daylight
Tungsten: could be use under heavy yellow light
Florescent: closer to daylight

Thanks for making these reviews. @ TechTronic9000 - I Cannot wait to see the 2k vs. non-2K reviews you make.

Not of what I'm aware, in the feature it my have better image quality as it has very capable hardware (chipset).
I totally agree with your comment. In HW side, it is super but not sure whether the lens is the limitation. Actually, recording a 2K video with less than 40Mb/s is a waste. I tried to compare the video quality on both hacked Xiaomi Yi and 4000+, our 4000+ lost some details and also 4000+ create more blocking effect with fast movement. I wish someone from SJCam official read this comment and will release higher recording bitrate in next release.

Did a videolapse on an incoming storm, at a moment you can see 2 layers of different clouds and sun over them. It looks like a movie with aliens preparing to invade. Can you see their mothership :D

Awesome, i wish i were there to see it :)

New unboxing / hands on review of the Gyro version of the 4000+ series. More tests will follow.

Back