SJCam SJ5000 Black screen after unplugging AV cable & re-booting + no video output

cinnamontography

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently connected my SJCam 5000 to a composite video monitor but now cannot seem to get an image to display on the SJ5000's LCD after unplugging the AV/micro USB cable!

What I did:
Went into the menu by pressing the power button twice and turned on the TV out function (image disappeared from SJ5000's LCD as usual) and then plugged in an AV/micro USB cable to a composite video monitor (see picture below). However, an image never appeared on the monitor. I triple checked my connections and couldn't find any problem. So I unplugged the AV/micro USB cable and proceeded to re-boot the SJ5000 only to see a blank screen again (backlight not even on) The only indication I had that it was powered on was by the blue LED that would turn on when the camera was booted up and turn off when the camera was turned off. I tried holding the power button down for over 20 seconds several times to no avail. I also tried removing the battery for 2 minutes and then putting it back in and powering up the camera. No change in symptoms. I also tried different batteries and checked their voltages. All measured within the range of 3.9-4.2v. I also tried connecting the camera to the included micro USB cable plugged into an Apple 10w USB charger and rebooting it while charging, unplugging and plugging it back in, etc.

Short of attempting to update the firmware (never done that and I'm a bit hesitant after a mishap with an Xiamo Yi) is there anything I can try next? Does anyone know what might be going on here?

UPDATE:
I tried updating the firmware by loading SJ5000_FW_0302.zip on to the root directory of FAT32 formatted micro SD card. I plugged in the camera to the charger and the blue light on top of the camera and the red light at the back both turned on. Nothing happened - it just stayed like that…nothing ever appeared on the display.

what was the original firmware version?

did you download the correct version, there are a few different variants of the 5000 model

Note: please only download firmware from the SJCamHD.com official site.

Back