SJCAM SJ5000

Big price differences there

Not sure if this would be suitable for longterm dashcam use as it's using a different variant of the A7 not intended for car usage but more a sports cam (which this is!)

I'm very intrigued to see this new sensor in action so am looking forward to the videos.

If it is priced at $129USD, I don't think it will sell well. It offers not much more than the GoPro Hero for the same money:
http://shop.gopro.com/cameras/hero/CHDHA-301.html

Pros of SJ5000:
1080p 60fps
Wifi capable
removable battery
removable case
mounts included

IMO, trading GoPro warranty and customer service for those features is fair, but not a deal breaker. Xiaomi will be releasing a 4K30fps version for 999RMB ($165USD) which may actually bring competition for GoPro.

Last edited:
The new basic GoPro Hero is a waste of money if you have $130 for an action cam. It records in 720/60 not 1080/60, you can't remove the battery nor the waterproof case which gives you less mounting choices, it doesn't have loop recording and you can't even replace the lens protector on the case if it gets scratched. The Sj will have all of that and the mounts are compatible with the GoPro mounts for the same money or cheaper.

Last edited:
For the GoPro basic version, even you can not take the camera and waterproof case, and the video quality is just so so.

Yeah, as I mentioned, they are not sjcam-branded [emoji6]

This is just a small warning for those buyers who might be tempted to buy non-"sjcam" branded action cam.
As the news from sjcam manufacturer, I know the SJ6000 hasn't be published yet, all the sj6000 in market now are copy versions, as we are the cooperator of SJCAM manufacture, we can get the SJCAM sj4000, sj5000, sj5000 plus, even sj6000 at first time and best price, if anyone have some question about SJCM, don't hesitate to pm me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SJ4000 SJ5000 SJ5000 plus original sj4000 $79.99

SJ5000 Wifi $145USD from geekbuying, comes with 2 batteries?

That's the Novatek processor/Panasonic cmos version?

The Ambarella Plus version costs more than Novatek version with Wi-Fi. The Plus version should have Wi-Fi too!

I am curious if the Panasonic CMOS can be used in some dashcam product, but only if is good in low light conditions. Until now I have the feeling that only Sony is good in low light.

enjoy,
Mtz

The Plus version does have wifi built in mate? Just the low end Novatek one which doesn't.

Toshiba have a new sensor out which could be good in lowlight too.

It's quite amusing there are already several high scoring reviews asking when it's due to launch. I do wonder sometimes.

Probably from people like me that are hyped about this product launch.

The Novatek versions are using a new NT96655, over the old NT96650. I wonder how image quality compares between the two, with the new sensor. Will it be worth the $50 premium (vs. $87USD for SJ4000W @ Gearbest atm)?

I don't see any word about Wi-Fi on foxoffer SJ5000 Plus.
sjcam-sj5000-plus-ambarella-a7ls75-1080p-60fps-sport-action-camera.jpg

The A7LS55 is wifi enabled mate - they've not explicitly put it in there but it's printed on the camera body as well :)

The chip isn't designed for automotive use (it's a sports camera targeted A7 version) so not sure how it would fare for long term use as a dashcam.

Back