Sjcam sj7,16 MP?

• Thread starter Deleted member 24437
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24437

Has someone noticed that their advertising is claiming that the sensor is 16 MP?
I know that it must be 12.40 MP to produce native 4 k res.
It's annoying, Sony's sensor pdf pages make this clear!
The sjcam you tube channel has a guy describing the sensor as having 16 MP.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well nobody has seen one yet so we can only speculate!

16MP is good for 4K because it gives some spare pixels for the gyro stabilisation to work with so that even after gyro stabilisation you still have a true 4K image instead of an interpolated zoomed in blurry 4K image. 12MP is enough for a native 4k image with zero pixels left for the image stabilisation.

Their press release said "16MP Sony IMX117", but Sony don't make one of them, like you say, that is a 12MP sensor.

Also they say it uses a "Ambarella A12-S75 Chipset" and none of the cameras that use that chipset have gyro stabilisation that works above 1080 resolution so the argument for having a 16MP sensor for 4K with stabilisation is irrelevant, although maybe it could still allow a narrow FOV option without loss of detail.

has any manufacturer released a camera that does stabilisation in 4k, don't recall seeing it if they have, seems limited to 1080p still

has any manufacturer released a camera that does stabilisation in 4k, don't recall seeing it if they have, seems limited to 1080p still
Sony have with the X3000R, however that has optical stabilisation.

The Nikon Keymission 170 has vibration reduction which is also optical, not sure it is really full video stabilisation, more camera shake removal to keep the images sharp.
Secondary-2b-Small.jpg

The Gitup Git2 does gyro stabilisation at "4K" but it's "4K" is only 2880x2160.

I think we will have to wait for Novatek to release a 4K chipset before we see true 4K with gyro stabilisation in a small and reasonably cheap action camera, but even then it will probably only be 30fps 4K so for true action video the 1080 may still be preferable.

At least one review I have seen describes the new Hero 5 as EIS capable at 2.7k!
I have seen reviews for the new Virb ultra 30 and the Nikon key mission 170, and neither offers EIS in 4k res.
A review offers "not enough room on the sensor".
P.S. DCrainmaker's in-depth review shows Gopro's Hero 5 does EIS up to 2.7k!
I think that means a new Ambarella sensor?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don'think I'll trust the manufacturer selling as Sjcam to deliver a stated product accurately!
I can trust Gopro to sell me a true product! We have the weight of gov.requiring truth in advertising!

All I'm infos I'm seeing now about the SJ7 says it's a 12MP camera. I guess they updated the specs.

Hi Jokiin:
If I were willing to spend almost$600.00 dollars for cam and very convenient remote, the optical image stabilization which Sony says works in 4k in the new fdr x 3000, would be my next action cam!

Back