SJCAM SJ7 models

Alexpatrascu

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Itronics ITB-100HD, GS1000
Hey guys.
I was looking to buy a SJ7 as my main action camera and I saw someone saying that there is a new model of this camera that has the mic on the front instead of the left side.
Anyone has any info on what are the differences between the two models are ?
Has the issue with the overheating been addressed in the new model ?
If I buy the camera from Aliexpress/Gearbest, do I get any kind of warranty from SJCAM ?
Anyone knows where I can get the new model for a better price than 200$ and still have warranty ?
Maybe @sjcam_official can give me some info on this ?!
Thanks a lot.

As far as i know the location of the mic are all that differ between the very early models and the updated version.
Recording full blast 4K and other high load resolutions will generate a lot of heat, but i have yet to see my Sj7 power down due to heat, but it do indeed get hot.

It always seem problematic if you have to send anything back east if it have gone sour, that's really too bad as it should put a lot of people off fairly decent products and instead opt for more expensive options they can buy locally and get the warranty your country stipulate.
I am on my first Chinese phone, and while i have been lucky so far then i also think it will be my last phone from out there, i might well get a Chinese phone again but it will have to be a brand i can buy here in DK, and at the moment that's only the most expensive Chinese brands / models.

Thanks for the input @kamkar1
I don't plan on taking any 4K videos, mostly 1080p 60FPS.
I heard about the 4k heating but I'm not sure if that happens when shooting in 1080p....maybe at a higher fps ??

I have not made longer shots in 1080/120 but i think that would generate heat too, shooting 1080/60 and maybe 1440 or what ever the next level up is called should be just fine for hours on end.

And Canada now just like Denmark cant be all that nice and hot anymore, summer totally blew past Denmark this year.

I did a 9 hour recording in 1080/30 but that was on the Sj6 legend, on that i also made a2 hour at least long 1080/60 recording with no problem using the Sj6 to log a long drive in the car.

Yeah, the 6 months winter is approaching so it's not gonna be too hot outside.
How did you take the 9h video, are you using an external battery ?
I might record in 1080p 30fps if things get too hot.

Hey guys.
I was looking to buy a SJ7 as my main action camera and I saw someone saying that there is a new model of this camera that has the mic on the front instead of the left side.
Anyone has any info on what are the differences between the two models are ?
Has the issue with the overheating been addressed in the new model ?
If I buy the camera from Aliexpress/Gearbest, do I get any kind of warranty from SJCAM ?
Anyone knows where I can get the new model for a better price than 200$ and still have warranty ?
Maybe @sjcam_official can give me some info on this ?!
Thanks a lot.
Hello Alex,

Please check out our warranty policy. Yes, there was only one model but the mic hole did change locations around 4 months ago. Around that time, we also started qc'ing the heat issue what was caused by a few bad sensors and also a soldering issue. The heat issue has since been rectified.

You can order from our resellers and still find support on our helpdesk. Since you are a forum member, I could apply for a $10 coupon for you if you'd like.

Yeah i powered the SJ6 using one of the PSUs for my dashcams, and i had the camera on my windscreen using a suction cup.

I am going to have to experiment some more cuz i have a 80 mile walk planned for next summer and i want to save it with the Sj7 using time lapse video and a frame captured every 5 - 10 seconds.
So i have to walk around 25 Km every day, and the battery cant handle that so i plan on getting 2 large USB power bank, and a solar charger i can put on top of my backpack so i can charge one power bank while i walk and use the other power bank.
This is off course just video lapse, and i will have to fab up some kind of mount for the camera to either go on the shoulder strap or maybe a little higher on a pole of some sort attached to the 90L backpack

Gearbest has the SJ7 on sale right now for $156 USD. The cheapest I've seen it get is $140. I mostly record 1080P 60FPS action footage and like it a lot. It's nice that the spare batteries and charger is cheaper too than a GoPro, I have 5 batteries so I've always got charged ones on hand.

@kamkar1 , that sounds like a nice trip, hope you'll enjoy every bit of it.

Thanks @sjcam_official for the input.
And the 10$ rebate sounds really good but I'm really looking for a lower price as my budget is a bit tight.

Thanks @Dudenow12 , I saw the price on Gearbest but I don't know if they have the old version or the new version.
I posted a question on the product page but I haven't received any answers till now.
Did you see the 140$ price on Gearbest or somewhere else ?
Also, how long does a battery last in real life video shooting ?
How many Mb/s does it take for the 1080P 60fps ?

Thanks @Dudenow12 , I saw the price on Gearbest but I don't know if they have the old version or the new version.
I posted a question on the product page but I haven't received any answers till now.
Did you see the 140$ price on Gearbest or somewhere else ?

Yeah it was down around $140 just a few days ago on gear best. Most of the time it's around $180 - $200. At $156 right now on Gear best, I think that's a pretty good price. Might go on a super sale again around the holidays but that's still a few months away. But it could go on sale again too, I really have no idea just speculating. It hasn't even been out for a year yet. I got mine, which was one of the first, back in January.

Battery life is pretty good, 45 mins to an hour. Just the other day I just recorded an hour long video on a single battery just to see if it really does last that long and it did. Most of the time when I am using it, I am constantly starting and stopping the recording any where from 10 secs to 10 mins so that is going to kill the battery a little more when its starting and stopping plus the screen being on more than if you were to just record for an hour straight.

I usually use the loop record so it breaks them up into 3 min chunks so I can transfer them to my iPhone via wifi easier and they're between 300 - 400 mb on a 3 min video of 1080P 60fps.

Yes, at 156usd that would be a hard price to beat as that is near our wholesale pricing. I am sure that GB would give you a coupon if you asked as well....

SJ6 Legend is like only 116 now as well....

[/...]
Battery life varies with the shooting mode. 4K life is, I think, about 20 minutes. 1080p@60fps is about 40 minutes at best. For extended shooting, use an external battery. That should give about 4 hours with a 50000 mAh battery pack.

"Non-stop" video, at 1080p@60 fps, gives 3.8 Gb files. The file video is seamless. There's an audio dropout of about 3 frames at the end of each file. At a splice, this produces a click. [/ frown]
I've mentioned that in the Wishlist.

I noticed that click too, but i have never gotten around to see if i could do something about it with my pinnacle studio software.
I was thinking if its just a gap, then i could easy close that in the software, or if it is a noise peak at the handover i could delete or maybe just mute it.

BUT! i keep forgetting it every time i have some long files recorded with the SJ7.

It's a for-sure dropout. I edit with Resolve; at near full magnification it's dead easy to see. Since I almost always have a music track going over the bike track, it "goes away". IIRC there's a splice at about 8 minutes, and again shortly before the end.

I keep thinking about the guys that do that in just about the same pace but on a damn bicycle

I keep thinking about the guys that do that in just about the same pace but on a damn bicycle
Ah, but if you look closely, there are some people pushing their bikes uphill. But, yeah, I'm in awe of the people who do it without looking knackered.

I guess they have some monkeys working at Gearbest.......only a monkey would give me this kind of answer.

Attachments

• Screen24.jpg
    Screen24.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 13
I guess they have some monkeys working at Gearbest.......only a monkey would give me this kind of answer.
What is your Ticket number?

I have asked the person who is in charge of the Gearbest account. Traditionally we were really strict about pricing controls. The prices have gone down to recent promotions though. Maybe you can contact @salesberg (on this forum or on Youtube as he has Gearbest coupons).

I hope we can have you sorted out here soon.

Thanks!

Last edited:
My main issue is they don't know if they sell the old model or the updated model....

My ticket # is T17091303816

I also tried to put the discount code GB10% in my cart and the price jumps from 157 to 199(179 with the discount) :eek:

My main issue is they don't know if they sell the old model or the updated model....

My ticket # is T17091303816

I also tried to put the discount code GB10% in my cart and the price jumps from 157 to 199(179 with the discount) :eek:

Yeah usually they don't let you stack coupons on top of their sale prices. Even at $157, that's still a really good price.

Back