SJCAM SJ7 Star Sample Images

reverend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Too many
OK so I've got the SJ7 running on test and here are the first sample images from the UHD resolution (the weather isn't great here in the UK for the next several days now - maybe we'll even get some snowy ones!)

I'm struggling to find somewhere that doesn't resize the pictures from their original size so they're currently on imgur here:

Code:
http://imgur.com/a/TF9iF

Pretty bleak over here too, will have to get creative if i am to capture more than nuances of grey and black & white.

Have you got the bad weather over there mate - I hear Europe is getting chilly!

It is down south i just read in the news, my home town got a little rain coming tomorrow and then Saturday temps will drop to zero or a little less in the following week.

OK so I've got the SJ7 running on test and here are the first sample images from the UHD resolution (the weather isn't great here in the UK for the next several days now - maybe we'll even get some snowy ones!)

I'm struggling to find somewhere that doesn't resize the pictures from their original size so they're currently on imgur here:

Code:

first image looks ok, the ones with movement are a bit underwhelming

That was only 10 mins after the sun came up mate, never great for any dashcam which in all fairness would behave similarly - I've got some more from this afternoon which were better with faster exposures. The bitrate is 60Mbps so a definite potential card buster - definitely a good test of the 200GB card durability!

Just got a few videos uploading at the moment, Youtube takes forever to process UHD though (almost as long as this crappy uplink takes to upload them!)

Last edited:
That was only 10 mins after the sun came up mate, never great for any dashcam like this - I've got some more from this afternoon which were better with faster exposures.

Just got a few videos uploading at the moment, Youtube takes forever to process UHD though (almost as long as this crappy uplink takes to upload them!)

to be fair it's probably a better action cam than a dashcam anyway, will probably shine at the proper outdoorsy type stuff

Yeah one of the videos is of walking up one of the local vantage points - it looks fantastic in UHD on the SJ7.

The UHD resolution will be great for the guys that want to record stuff like trips, the high resolution and bitrate captures every detail.

Last edited:
I've added another album of shots taken in photo mode here:

Code:
http://imgur.com/a/LoW1T

And I've added more photos to the original album.

I reckon in on a half decent day (ie not crap winters day) the plate reading could be very good indeed in UHD mode.

The video frames look much better than the photos, photos zoomed right in to 1:1 look fairly nasty! Did they come out of the camera like that?

UHD video frames look very nice, spoilt a bit by your honeycomb grill reflecting in the glass and the motion blur. Also a bit of chromatic aberration towards the edges of the frame - looks like a plain glass lens rather than an aspheric lens.

That bloody grille causes problems for pretty much every camera I've ever had - I should dig the dashmat out of storage to see how it fares then :)

I'll have to double check the pictures - they looked ok on the Thinkpad I was working on so something may be going on at the imgur side - it was constantly giving me issues yesterday.

Please leave it recording ,on external power for days to check reliability & changes in lens focus.

Or if it even can do this, unlike gopros i believe that get thermal shutdown.

I will be looking into things like this when my camera arrive.

Offcourse this beeing Denmark at this time of the year, the only heat i can expose the camera to is what it generate itself, aside for throwing it in the oven.

Code:
Hi, rev , the images look sharp.Does Imgur reduce the data stream like YouTube?
'like the video walking on Ilkley Moor-Sharply defined blades of grass-true UHD?
I'm viewing on a 23" HD monitor-can't possibly see the true 4k.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was only 10 mins after the sun came up mate, never great for any dashcam which in all fairness would behave similarly - I've got some more from this afternoon which were better with faster exposures. The bitrate is 60Mbps so a definite potential card buster - definitely a good test of the 200GB card durability!

So, is a 200 GB card satisfactory?

Hi, rev , the images look sharp.Does Imgur reduce the data stream like YouTube?
'like the video walking on Ilkley Moor-Sharply defined blades of grass-true UHD?
I'm viewing on a 23" HD monitor-can't possibly see the true 4k.
Hi, to be honest I'm not sure about imgur - I didn't think it was supposed to be I'd need to compare a file from the SD card to a file that had been uploaded there and downloaded to make sure :)

The video does seem to be true UHD - it looks amazing on my UHD TV anyway :)

It eats battery in UHD mode but as the processor is running at 60Mbps I think that's to be expected.

The Sandisk 200GB microSD seems fine so far - no issues to report and it should hold around 7.6 hours of UHD video at 60Mbps which is plenty :)

Yeah you will need a handfull of batteries to fill up that 200 Gb sucker

My camera still listed as left sending country, and im so wound up about getting going with the SJ7 i am amazed i am able to sleep ( witch is fine at the moment )
Will have to call Danish postal tomorrow as its then 2 Weeks since the parcel left the shipping country for Denmark.

And postal are extra bad at the moment, last parcel i got i was slammed with toll and so on, so i paid that and still the parcel dident move for a week, and it would still be there if i had not called first postal and then customs.

So postal said we dont know ( and its thru they really dont know much in there ) and i then called customs, and they said, "well thats strange i can see you paid your customs a week ago, so i better release your parcel from our warehouse now, and you will then get it tomorrow" ( this was a Thursday afternoon )
And i finally got my parcel the following Tuesday. :rolleyes:

It never taken 2 weeks for a parcel to reach Denmark after it regged as left "asia" it normally take a couple of days before the parcel then "enter customs" or sail right thru that for "under way to local distribution center"

Am looking forward to seeing some SJ7 images and footages in fairly good lighting. Those still photos does look really nasty at 100%...

Back