SjCam SJ9 Strike - full review - and short version video with HD clips in 4K

bobflyman

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was lucky enough to be sent one of the new SJCam SJ9 Strike's for review last week. SJCam's first waterproof camera, which also features native 4K up to 60 fps and 1080 up to 120 fps, although their new 'supersmooth' EIS only works up to 4K 30 fps and 1080 60 fps. Needless to say it has loop recording and car mode. And you can have loop recording at 4K with supersmooth. There is a 1/4 inch tripod mount hole.

My test clips include motorbiking at both those resolutions and results were extremely good, with EIS and also good without at the higher frame rates.

Waterproof to 10 mtrs they say, but the sound is quite muted in view of the waterproof case (as it would be too if in a separate waterproof case if say you were motorbiking.) You can get an external microphone as an accessory.

I don't yet have a sales link for it, I'll post it when I get it.

Two video versions. First just the clips and rendered at 4K 30 fps and long version which shows you how it works, the user interface, wifi app etc. which is in 1080 60 fps

I thought the motorbike clips at 1080 on the sea front looked great.

That is pretty terrible sound quality!
And I don't like the warping of the image when the super smooth stabilisation does it's job - not properly calibrated to the lens.
At least they have improved the colours over the SJ7.

I would have stayed in the middle of the road and made that first car back up to the passing place rather than squeeze through the nettles!

The audio on that cam is horrendous!

The water proofing has muffled the audio ? Otherwise another good action cam .

Thanks for the responses. And yes, the audio is terrible. Cameras in waterproof cases are always muffled, so I guess if the microphone is sealed it will be quiet. Maybe they could have put a removable bung over the mike hole? That would have solved the problem.

With just 10m waterproofing I doubt people will dive with it.
Re making the car driver reverse, I lived in a town with very narrow roads for 30 years, have you ever seen old people trying to reverse! It's painful. They just can't do it.

All in all I think it's a good camera. Not cheap, though the price will come down. They always do. Didn't notice super smooth warping myself. Colours and sharpness are good but a £20 waterproof case will do the same job and there are some good cameras around for a third the price, the Seabird I reviewed for example, was excellent and has 4K @ 30 fps with EIS. £81 but case is extra.

Cameras in waterproof cases are always muffled
Audio is important, sometimes more important than the video. There are times when it is worth compromising, such as when you want to use it on a motorcycle in the rain, but it seems a shame to ruin the audio in all conditions just so that it can be used in some circumstances that it otherwise couldn't. If you buy a motorcycle camera then you don't expect the best audio quality, but if I buy an action camera for use on my summer holidays then I want the best audio possible.

How does the external microphone connect?
And is it a waterproof connection?

Re making the car driver reverse, I lived in a town with very narrow roads for 30 years, have you ever seen old people trying to reverse! It's painful. They just can't do it.
I've driven on narrow roads like in your video all my driving life, mainly in cars.
If you find watching older drivers reverse painful, that is your problem not theirs, it doesn't mean that they find it painful, it just takes them longer than younger drivers, give them time and space and they will get there, except the very few that really should not be on the road. He was close enough to the passing space that it wouldn't have taken long and it was clearly his responsibility to do so. Even on my bicycle I would have made him reverse, mainly due to the possibility of him moving forward as soon as I was alongside and knocking me into the ditch.

I was joking about the pain of watching some people reverse, but it's not only the elderly! I am a pensioner too! Living in a town with narrow roads where you are constantly having to reverse you get good at it. I drove a VW camper van then. Last 3 years I'm driving a 21 foot long van. And I still sometimes go down lanes. Fortunately I can reverse though!

I hate that lane. I go down it at snail speed which is a good job as time before that a guy came out of a blind bend so fast I'd have had a head on collision. I vowed then I wouldn't use it again?

Agree with you about the sound. The advantage of having a camera and separate waterproof case is as you say, when you want sound you can have it. I like SJCam, good company and I have reviewed several of their cameras. The 8 air wasn't great. Plus was better. Didn't get hands on a 8pro. I don't think this wll be a big seller really which is a shame, but bad audio will not be appreciated. I guess they may be able to make a manufacturing mod, but that will be too late for people who buy early. I have passed feedback onto SJCam.

re external mike, I commented on that on the long video. You can get one, but of course it plugs in the USB C so the door will be open and it's no longer water proof. I modded a waterproof case once so I could plug an external mike for motorbike vlogging and I have seen one camera sent to me that actually had a removable cap on the waterproof case so that you could plug in. But only seen it once.

thanks for your comments.

You can see what the lady in pink had for her breakfast 7 mins into your first clip :oops:

You'd have to look very hard!

It's 4K so you you can zoom in!

I think some of the Reverend's religious expressions should come with a explanation; this is one that is clearly not meant to be taken literally.

Not sure if it's something they would say, I don't watch it so no idea about that, it's an old saying though

Back