SJDASH Vs SG9665XS. V1

Liking the vids and the editing- good job :D

I've noted from the start that the SJ lacks crispness. TBH it's not looking any better to me than my G1W-HC's which are cheap budget cams :eek: I wonder if color over-saturation can be the cause of this or are these 2 separate issues? With action cams, color rendition is very important but less so with a dashcam. It's the details in the vids that you most want here and I'm not certain that SJ quite grasps the different needs. As long as colors are basically accurate, nobody will argue that a light red car looks a bit orange in the vid as long as you can prove the details like plate numbers, decals in the windows, wheel types and so on. Details identify more closely than colors so that is where dashcam development focus belongs. After you've done all you can there, then work on color accuracy ;) The SJ has potential but it's not there yet.

The XS presents an unusual situation. If it did video as well as the GC how many people would buy the 'premium' version of this cam family? :rolleyes: Even with some color issues it does the details well. Given the price, it is performing nearly as good as a reasonable person can expect it to even though it's not perfect- a few small tweaks is all it needs. And there's the legendary SG support with the XS helping it stay ahead in this race.

Between these two I'd choose the XS but the SJ isn't too far behind, and if it gets the development it deserves it can equal the XS and other cams. I hope that happens soon.

Phil

Yes i remember one of the first things mentioned was the hard to tell colors of traffic lights, but the later firmware fixed that at least to some degree for me.
But i will give you that the farther away you are from the light the harder it is to determine the color as it do appear more white than anything else.

that's a challenge with LED traffic lights unfortunately due to the refresh rate, some lights will show this more prominently than others also depending on the type of LED used

Yeah i am not sure what that softness of the footage on the SJDASH lies with, i am inclined to try another lens on it one day cuz it is softer on the image than i would like, and i am not sure if adding sharpness in the firmware will do it.

True color reproduction ate not really something in a dashcam i see as a big issue as long as it is fairly well, but the SJDASH i think are a little over the top and why i asked SJcams to dial it back a little.

But as i understand it saturated colors actually sell well in some markets where other like a more natural approach to colors. I think it follow the same as we see with the actual design and look of the dashcams.

Regarding sharpness on the XS i at least dont have the same feeling i had with my Lukas LK-7500 that had sort of a alien look to the footage due to sharpness being upped by Lukas, but i assume it is popular in the home market.

There are a lot going on in the visual capture market, just look at VVS in smartphones, people will rather take a vertical picture and then flip it 90 degrees before posting it instead of just using the phone the right way and post at once with no post.

It might well be some one made a app that can flip a vertical picture with a click or 2, but i see upon such a person as a enabler and he/she should have their ass kicked.

Yeah i am not even sure if LED traffic lights on intersections are white ( in some kelvin range ) with colored glass in front or if it is colored LED's as well as colored glass, cuz at least here it look like there are still colored glass on the lights.

Yeah i am not even sure if LED traffic lights on intersections are white ( in some kelvin range ) with colored glass in front or if it is colored LED's as well as colored glass, cuz at least here it look like there are still colored glass on the lights.

there's multiple types in use in different countries and the results will vary depending on which type

Given the price, it is performing nearly as good as a reasonable person can expect it to even though it's not perfect- a few small tweaks is all it needs.
That's all I've been asking.

At least the lights are always in the same order so colorblind can drive safely too, so red on top below that yellow and green at the bottom, so from a pure dashcam documentation perspective a camera could be B&W and still there will be no doubt under which color you entered the intersection.

If i had paid hard earned money for the XS i might have yelled louder about its issues, but i never felt it was bad in any way, so i have just mentioned the few things i have back when i got it.

And i fully understand if SG focus on the top end models the most if that's where SG make their money, after all even if we say SG may focus too little on their low end models, they still have way more focus on it than many other brands in the same price range.

I dont know, i am not that hardcore, maybe a bit dashcam nerdy, but there are other here on this forum that have a far wider knowledge and interest database to pull upon.

Dont get me wrong if SG or anyone else send me something for free i feel are crap, i would also say so, maybe in a more conservative and nice way, but i would say.

At least the lights are always in the same order so colorblind can drive safely too, so red on top below that yellow and green at the bottom, so from a pure dashcam documentation perspective a camera could be B&W and still there will be no doubt under which color you entered the intersection.

If i had paid hard earned money for the XS i might have yelled louder about its issues, but i never felt it was bad in any way, so i have just mentioned the few things i have back when i got it.

And i fully understand if SG focus on the top end models the most if that's where SG make their money, after all even if we say SG may focus too little on their low end models, they still have way more focus on it than many other brands in the same price range.

I dont know, i am not that hardcore, maybe a bit dashcam nerdy, but there are other here on this forum that have a far wider knowledge and interest database to pull upon.

Dont get me wrong if SG or anyone else send me something for free i feel are crap, i would also say so, maybe in a more conservative and nice way, but i would say.

The V2 uses Sony sensor so we can apply fixes based on other models in the range, one of the reasons for changing it, same as things we've done in GC that have been applied to DC, even the hardware is not identical on each there are things that we can port to the other versions much more easily, the XS V1 is a lot more limited in that respect

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kamkar Side by Side Comparison 18