Slowly slowly does it...

Paul Iddon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Viofo A139 Pro 4K, A129 Pro Duo 4K, A229 Duo 2K, & NB 522GW
30 in the 40, and on entering the motorway this (older female) driver managed to go just a bit faster once (but did do 25-30) on the slip road, but merged so slowly that I ran out of slip road, as did the car behind me, and the traffic already on the M-Way found her on the slow side as well. The Merc that ended up between us might have done better moving out a lane - there was enough of a gap to move out I reckon. I think the Fiesta may have gone onto the M6 whilst not really wanting too. In retrospect, I should probably have overtaken her early in the play....

@BCHobbyist - this is on the A129 Front only at 60fps.

Extremely frustrating when people don't get up to speed, not least on a on ramp to a fast road and with other people driving behind them,,,, we actually used to call on ramps "acceleration lanes" back in the good old days.
I have seen people join a motorway with a 110 km/h limit and do less than the 80 km/h that are the limit for the trucks, though as i recall the minimum speed on a motorway are 60 km/h but that speed are not recommended.

Entering the motorway anything slower than 50mph in my opinion should qualify as dangerous driving, and for everyone's safety including her own, she should have her driving license revoked

Seems to be getting increasingly common over the last few years to use slip roads at ridiculously low speed, not sure if it's the drivers or the modern cars with eco engines insisting on changing up a gear when they reach 2000rpm!

If I find myself behind someone going slow into the slip road then I slow right down until there is enough gap that I can get up to motorway speed before joining safely. Sometimes then have to brake heavily after joining, but at least it is safe to join, I'd rather brake to join than have to force my way in or stop on the slip road!

I do think it relate to people driving bumper to bumper and so the gaps to merge into are now even smaller, and also in relationship to that the general selfishness of people.
Some younger generations have been tagged with nicknames, but i think those generalizations apply to a lot of other and older people.
There is a Japanese proverb that say " a house always start to leak from the top" so that's the people we vote for and us older people failing or resting on the laurels from the few good things we have done.

One thing i notice on my drives is when it come to merger, from a on ramp or just 2 lanes becoming one lane, then some people pull up right behind the car in front signaling " you can merge all you want but it is going to be behind me"
And this in turn make the people on the left drive more aggressive, which are easy to see by the few good drivers, cuz if they see a car even if it is behind them but still on the left they will lift on the throttle even if there are no space in front of them, but they are now so used to people pushing thru on the left to gain 1 place in the line.

If I see a slip road coming up soon I usually try to move to the faster lane if possible well in advance to try and avoid those. drivers who insist on creeping in at dangerously slower speeds.

I think they ought to consider better road signs for merging traffic to match the speed of existing traffic.

On the motorway I use, the slip road entry is a very long one, and even when slip road traffic is heavy and motorway traffic is light, people still try to get onto Lane 1 at the soonest opportunity rather than using the length of the slip road, causing a seriously unnecessary backlog up the slip road if one of the cars at the front isn't going fast enough, and they get pissy at me for driving down the left side of them that is completely unobstructed, to use the massive amount of empty slip road further down to get myself quickly and safely onto the motorway in no one's way

Look on google maps for Junction 6 of the M61 (Horwich, South Easterly direction) you can see the slip road starts at the DeHavilland Way roundabout and continues right to the Lostock Lane bridge, everyone only uses one third of the length of the slip road! madness!

I know it well being from Preston. I go that way a fair few times.

On the motorway I use, the slip road entry is a very long one, and even when slip road traffic is heavy and motorway traffic is light, people still try to get onto Lane 1 at the soonest opportunity rather than using the length of the slip road, causing a seriously unnecessary backlog up the slip road if one of the cars at the front isn't going fast enough, and they get pissy at me for driving down the left side of them that is completely unobstructed, to use the massive amount of empty slip road further down to get myself quickly and safely onto the motorway in no one's way

Look on google maps for Junction 6 of the M61 (Horwich, South Easterly direction) you can see the slip road starts at the DeHavilland Way roundabout and continues right to the Lostock Lane bridge, everyone only uses one third of the length of the slip road! madness!
Junction 1 looks fun: "This complicated junction earns a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most traffic lanes side by side (17), spread across several parallel carriageways at Linnyshaw"

And Junction 7 will be a real challenge to get on and off!

Junction 1 looks fun: "This complicated junction earns a place in the Guinness Book of World Records for having the most traffic lanes side by side (17), spread across several parallel carriageways at Linnyshaw"

And Junction 7 will be a real challenge to get on and off!

Junctions 2-1 look messy as hell which probably explains the horrific traffic volumes that literally last from half 6 to half 10 every weekday morning, Junction 7 is Rivington services and genuinely isn't at all problematic, it just doesn't look all that tidy from above! :D

the scary part about these people who are merging incredibly slowly? they think they're being safe by going slow, when in reality, they're equally as dangerous as the yahoo doing 2x the speed limit.

we finally convinced my mother-in-law (in her 70s) that it's not safe to merge going so much slower than the traffic that's already on the highway, so now she mostly avoids freeways entirely. for most of her trips, she doesn't really need to be on the highway anyway - regular surface roads or even just the freeway service/feeder road is fine, since she's not going real far anyway. her 2008 camry only has like 65k miles on it, so that says a lot. she really is the proverbial "grandma who only drives it to church and the grocery store", and occasionally to her grandkids' house. :)

it's not that she's afraid of driving fast or that the car is incapable of acceleration (even though it's just a 4cyl) - eventually she does get up to 70-80 mph like everyone else... it's just the "eventually" part that's so scary. so most times she just lets us drive instead.

You're so right. I think it (slow entry) leads to uncertainty which is more likely to cause issues than the fast overspeed driving unpredictability

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
wozzzzza Your Dash Cam Videos (recorded by you) 7
Back