Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Review: "Smallest HD 720p DVR" or "Video Recorder A8"

That camera looks perfect. I'd like to see video footage though

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

Hi sudo,

Thanks for pointing out this camera. I split this into a new topic since it could be a good camera. This is the first "small" camera I have seen using the Ambarella A2S60. With GPS and G-sensor for $105 is a good price as well.

599168179_037.jpg

At first i thought it had it all as well - and maybe it does...

What puzzles me is that
- only one other seller have it in stock and he sells it for 4x as much!
- how good a lens is used (1/2.5", wide angle view 135 degree)
- nobody knows if it can compare with the newest A8 (no sun glare) even if it has an ambarella chip...
- the model version of this A8 is "HD009" can not find it anywhere on google

I have already asked for footage but have not got any yet :cool:

sudo said:
At first i thought it had it all as well - and maybe it does...

What puzzles me is that
- only one other seller have it in stock and he sells it for 4x as much!
- how good a lens is used (1/2.5", wide angle view 135 degree)
- nobody knows if it can compare with the newest A8 (no sun glare) even if it has an ambarella chip...
- the model version of this A8 is "HD009" can not find it anywhere on google

I have already asked for footage but have not got any yet :cool:

quite possible the seller that has it at 4x the price doesn't have stock yet and just has the ad as a place holder and you'll see the price drop once they receive stock, seems to be a common tactic by these sellers to have active ads and control the sales this way

based on price alone I would expect it to be very similar to the majority of GS1000 cams, 4 glass Chinese lens, entry level GPS, generic firmware version from the solution provider, hynix memory etc, that's about the level you get at this price, not the best night performance but should be quite capable during the day and should be a good step up from the old 720p A8 version, could be a good option for a discrete cam at a budget price

Yeah, it looks like he's not got any stock in at the moment.

It's not really priced out of reasonable expectation though.

Last edited by a moderator:

This is an interesting camera. I like the small size and I especially like what appears to be a powered mount. The mount and the camera seem to have electrical contacts. So the USB power cable just goes to the mount and you can remove or install the camera without having to unplug/re-plug wires. This is similar to high-end GPS standalone units.

Does anyone know of any other dashcams with a powered mount?

I also got this .mov file in my mail from this Aliexpress seller with the $439 price tag.
The file was filmed in february and it was named "good.mov" :lol: wonder if there is a "bad.mov" ? :roll:
Anyway it looks similar to the CX4-ones on youtube so i would not bother to upload it to youtube and then post it here.

For those of you interested the data in the file i got is as follows:
Format: Ambarella AVC encoder, 1.920 x 1.080
AAC, 1 chanels, 48000 Hz
FPS: 29,97
File size: 17,5 MB
Data frequency: 10,07 mbit/s
Actual size: 1.920 × 1.080 (Actual)

Last edited by a moderator:

sudo said:
Yes, I read that.
Price in Kiev for this dash cam is 2,100 Ukrainian Hryvna, which is $258 US dollars. I will try to find my old friends in Kiev to see if they can buy one for me there and ship it to US, or call the store directly to see if they ship to US.

sudo said:
The file was filmed in february and it was named "good.mov" :lol: wonder if there is a "bad.mov" ? :roll:
That review on the Russian site says that ProCam CX4 came out in the beginning of 2013 and first batch had problems, but later problems were corrected. May be that's why file name says "good"?

I ordered one from AliExpress for $135 w/32GB card included ($110 cam only). Free shipping to US. Just be smart and use virtual credit card (citi MC). It is exactly what I was looking for to use in my convertible - easy to install/remove when I leave car with top down, no wires and etc. I like small cams, with LCD it is even better, 1080p30 is nice too... ;)

I would not suggest to shop in Far Eastern Europe - everything is at least 2x the price we pay in US. It is just the way it works there. I saw other 4 folks from Russia bought it as well, but just very recently, so no one got their hands on it yet.

Congrats on the purchase V8Rocks. Please share your impressions when you receive it.

Not this camera have a name: DVR0801 or DVR 0801 (the chinese are not smart because is already some CCTV camera with the same name).

Great things about this CX4 dashcam (which are important for me):
- small (easy to hide, not tempting the thieves)
- best lens position: at the opposite side of the mount so you can hide most of the camera and the mount under the windshield black dots area
- quick mount with connectors included (some old idea of me)
- full black
- big CMOS sensor 1.25" (I am not sure if true)
Good selling points (even are not important for me):
- display
- GPS
- 1080p
- Ambarella chipset

Don't like:
- the USB connector is not 90 degrees angled
- image seems to be little blocky in the night.

If the Aliexpress will sell the same camera like the russian one can be very good if we can use the future russian firmware.
At $110 is a good price for a small dashcam.

Russian unboxing.

enjoy,
Mtz

Now we have seen a prices at about $100, $200+ and $400+ yet we still can not be sure the components being used in CX4 and A8 are the same can we?

sudo said:
Now we have seen a prices at about $100, $200+ and $400+ yet we still can not be sure the components being used in CX4 and A8 are the same can we?

There's definetly Ambarella versions of this camera which is a much better option than the original A8 hardware, how it should have been all along

Let's say the Russian CX4 and Chinese A8, are identical internally both with an Ambarella A2S60 chip. Would they be able to be updated with future firmware that comes from either company - ProCam or from China?
I feel the ProCam brand is more likely to be maintaining the usage of these cams than the Chinese will but i could be wrong... Then i would buy the cheapest Chinese version and keep an eye on what ever ProCam releases in the future :cool:

An other concern of mine is not to forget that the Ambarella A7 chip is soon to be the preferred chip in the better spec'ed dvrs witch will soon be making the A2 chip obsolete with no support? This scenario would make this dvr a burning star of the month... :roll:

Thoughts?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back