Smallest Ambarella Car DVR a.k.a. Mini 0801

Re: Smallest Ambarella Car DVR

jokiin said:
6Mbit is way too low, I think around 12Mbit is the sweet spot, sure 15Mbit gets better results but at 12Mbit they run cooler, use less memory space so you have more hours of footage saved, files are smaller so a bit easier to work with etc

After seeing dozens of video examples, and reading countless forum threads I have to agree. 12Mbit is the sweet spot. Pick that number in your camera as the medium or high setting :)

I can't believe after months of searching I end up buying a camera in the generic "General Dash Cam Discussion" area

JazJon said:
After seeing dozens of video examples, and reading countless forum threads I have to agree. 12Mbit is the sweet spot. Pick that number in your camera as the medium or high setting :)

we do user selectable bitrate in ours in 1Mbit increments so you can choose what you want, we did offer from 6Mbit through to 15Mbit but deleted the 6Mbit and 7Mbit option recently, factory default we set them at 12Mbit, new models we may just go 10Mbit through to 15Mbit as I feel anything less than 10Mbit is pointless anyway

jokiin said:
we do user selectable bitrate in ours in 1Mbit increments so you can choose what you want, we did offer from 6Mbit through to 15Mbit but deleted the 6Mbit and 7Mbit option recently, factory default we set them at 12Mbit, new models we may just go 10Mbit through to 15Mbit as I feel anything less than 10Mbit is pointless anyway

We're all looking forward to seeing what you can come up with. (with extra care & effort put into fine tuning a full featured firmware)

If you end up using mini-USB for power, and mini-HDMI output, I won't even have to re-run any wires when it's time to upgrade. :)

Speaking of which, my eBay order from China will probably take too long to wait for my AppRadio install, so I should probably order the USB Auto power elsewhere.

I remember the cheap ones that DVR-007 first came with created GPS/FM interference. People were getting replacements but I forgot from where. Any good source on getting a good quality long corded Auto Power to mini-USB cable?
ltXsow5.jpg

I should probably also loop it through a f core:
5beejb.jpg

EDIT: Found this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Afunta-Charger-Ta ... ar+Charger
(free 2 day Prime shipping too) is 2A too much? Not sure the cable is quite long either either hmmm oh well might have to wait for the real deal

P.S. I just learned TF card is just another name for Micro SD. (good I thought I was after some non Standard card, but searches yeilded zero results)

TF Card (TransFlash):TF Card is another name for a Micro SD (Secure Digital) card which is a format for removable flash memory cards. The name TF card is barely used nowadays and has been replaced by Micro SD.

I wonder why cam sellers are using TF instead of the well known microSD in their product's memory slot type description?

TF card is just what they refer to them as in China but yes they are just regular MicroSD format

JazJon said:
Are the .MOV recordings from this camera compatible with the free Registrator Viewer app?

if it's the MOV version yes, the TS version no

jokiin said:
JazJon said:
Are the .MOV recordings from this camera compatible with the free Registrator Viewer app?

if it's the MOV version yes, the TS version no

Yup ebay one says it's MOV, perfect.

I was just playing around with the sample .MOV/.nmea files you posted here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=704

I downloaded the newest version of RegistratorViewer.exe though Fun stuff, glad to see such broad support with it.

Good to know TF is used over microSD in China. (figures)

You know I can't find any mini-HDMI to mini-HDMI 90 or 270 degree adapters. I'll probably skip it like you said if it's ugly coming off the bottom. It's not like it doesn't have a screen, and any serious watching is best done on my PC via the viewer app.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazJon said:
I was just playing around with the sample .MOV/.nmea files you posted here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=704

I downloaded the newest version of RegistratorViewer.exe though Fun stuff, glad to see such broad support with it.

I just had an idea. Since I'd prefer to see MPH, and we are stuck with KPH, what about this.

Can we still have GPS logged but turn the onscreen display of Time/Speed OFF? (or does that turn off GPS logging all together?)

The reason I ask is, the RegistratorViewer app has the option under - View, Measurment, British System (feet,miles)

You can then save the clip(s) and embed SRT (subtitles) of the correct format.

The example you posted has the text hard coded into the video, but the white letters at the bottom are from the subtitles I told to include when I exported it. This way the original video is clean and free of all markings, yet the GPS info can easily be embedded as subtitle later. Subtitle videos also can be turned on/off in Youtube videos as you know as well. The time GPS bug is a whole different issue though. I guess I'll have to play with it myself, but had to ask here while I wait!

gUCE4fY.jpg

UPDATE:
Just noticed I can customize the subtitle position and include date time info too! So again if we can keep GPS logging and have hard coded on screen display text turned off that would be ideal.

5LVgoga.jpg

(see time and date fields you can add, missing from my first example)
8oTcxvn.jpg

JazJon said:
I just had an idea. Since I'd prefer to see MPH, and we are stuck with KPH, what about this.

Can we still have GPS logged but turn the onscreen display of Time/Speed OFF? (or does that turn off GPS logging all together?)

mine have user selectable MPH or KPH display, all the on screen stuff can be individually turned on or off as you please, all the data is still collected regardless though

most cams you can't select MPH or KPH but some still allow you to turn it on or off so you could not show it and just view how you like with Registrator Viewer

the features vary from different suppliers, not everyone does things the same

Just get the cheapest version possible from Ali seller Givoe, no gps, no internal memory, $88.20.
You'll be happy with it for awhile.
Also, what are you saying about not enough pictures in the Givoe ad? There is a whole bunch, did you scroll to the bottom?

ciuvak said:
Just get the cheapest version possible from Ali seller Givoe, no gps, no internal memory, $88.20.
You'll be happy with it for awhile.
Also, what are you saying about not enough pictures in the Givoe ad? There is a whole bunch, did you scroll to the bottom?

Too late, the $105 eprance ebay model is orderred and on the way (with GPS) I'm hoping I can leave GPS logging, with the on-screen text turned off. I'd rather have the data handy but not forced to have OSD hard coded in videos (we'll see)

Oh and my bad about saying no photos for Ali models, the page wasn't loading right before now it is. (lots of pix!) Lots of good reviews for Givoe as well.

I hope I'm not missing anything by passing on the built in 8GB memory version. I don't plan on using this for more than 3 or 4 months before something better comes out anyway. (so can live with possible poor audio) Anything accident wise will have "some" audio at least. Anything interesting I want to add to a video mix will probably not use the original audio in favor of music or narrative etc anyway.

I just received an email from ebay saying it's on the way with tracking!
Estimated delivery Thursday, September 5, 2013 - Monday, September 23, 2013

I bought a $20 SanDisk Ultra 32 GB MicroSDHC C10/UHS1 Memory Card with Adapter (SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A)

I'd prefer to have 64 GB but their hasn't been anyone confirming we can special format 64 GB cards to work with this.
(so better to be safe than sorry)

This leads me to my question. Approximately how many hours/minutes can I fit on 32GB before it starts to overwrite the oldest file?
(the the highest 1080P quality of course)

I guess I should ask about 720P length too in case I went on a SUPER long trip. (that's about the only time I"d pick 720P, but doubt I ever would)

I hope to have a NEWER/Better camera by the end of the year anyway that will support <64GB

I am in the market for Cam and was suggested this one in WHAT'S HOT: For $100-150...
I gotta tell you I found it very nice, but IMAO it has:

Pros:
- Its Small and Discreet. May look like part/extension of Rear View Mirror.
- has a lot of Features for its Price

Cons:
- night video (looks like) worse than LS300W/GT550W, BUT I can close my eyes on this as Size Matters, IF NOT
- mount without suction cup, SO the cam will be facing always and only front in fixed position, AND I will NOT be able to turn cam to shoot video to the side of the car (if necessary)

The thingy is that besides my own 2 cars, I am planning to use it on Fleet vehicles, where I am going to have everyday different vehicle and there are about 300 of them. So I gotta come up with some idea of how to mount it for frequent use on many different cars. I dunno. Maybe use Velcro.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
almaz

almaz said:
I am in the market for Cam and was suggested this one in WHAT'S HOT: For $100-150...

Pros:

Cons:
- night video (looks like) worse than LS300W/GT550W, BUT I can close my eyes on this as Size Matters, IF NOT
- mount without suction cup, SO the cam will be facing always and only front in fixed position, AND I will NOT be able to turn cam to shoot video to the side of the car (if necessary)

The thingy is that besides my own 2 cars, I am planning to use it on Fleet vehicles, where I am going to have everyday different vehicle and there are about 300 of them. So I gotta come up with some idea of how to mount it for frequent use on many different cars. I dunno. Maybe use Velcro.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
almaz

Well remember the camera does come off the mount. It has electrical contacts because the Mount contains the GPS Antenna (if you get the GPS model) This all in one GPS Mount also has a mini-USB port. (so you can power it direct to camera or to it's mount which then passes it through the contacts)
1_01_zps0c5d9bd9.jpg

You could maybe have a long mini-USB cord ready to go. (for mobility when you're manually recording an event)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00CMNJ39W
3M stick mount is idea for me, don't want the hassle of suction. (and like I said it's not an option since the GPS is IN the mount) If you use velcro same problem. (no GPS) If you don't care about GPS or get the one without then never mind.

I'm expecting the night recording to be "acceptable" but not outstanding. I'll record and post my own examples once I get it in a few weeks.

I saw the MOBIUS got it's own FAQ page today with the usual full break down
http://dashcamtalk.com/mobius-faq-completed/
http://dashcamtalk.com/mobius/

It's pretty nice minus the no GPS part.

I wonder when the Smallest Ambarella Car DVR will get a break down review now that it's 1080P with A2S60 & OV2710 CMOS (and has a screen now) I see a similar shaped camera reviewed but don't think it's related at all. http://dashcamtalk.com/smallest-hd-720p/

Bring on the Smallest Ambarella review 0801 section :)

JazJon said:
almaz said:

Pros:

Cons:

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,
almaz

Well remember the camera does come off the mount. It has electrical contacts because the Mount contains the GPS Antenna (if you get the GPS model) This all in one GPS Mount also has a mini-USB port. (so you can power it direct to camera or to it's mount which then passes it through the contacts)
1_01_zps0c5d9bd9.jpg

You could maybe have a long mini-USB cord ready to go. (for mobility when you're manually recording an event)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CMNJ39W/ref ... fsb0GAVQFG

3M stick mount is idea for me, don't want the hassle of suction. (and like I said it's not an option since the GPS is IN the mount) If you use velcro same problem. (no GPS) If you don't care about GPS or get the one without then never mind.

I'm expecting the night recording to be "acceptable" but not outstanding. I'll record and post my own examples once I get it in a few weeks.
It looks like this cam works like "leave it and forget it" meaning you leave that GPS receiver sticked to the windshield and whenever you come back to it you just slide slide your camera on and Voila! You're ready to Rock'n'Roll!

But in my case, when I want to use it on NUMEROUS number of vehicles, AND with ALL features including GPS, I just can NOT leave it and forget it. Instead I gotta come up with some idea when WHOLE device (camera and GPS receiver) will be attached to same mount. For example, sitting on Velcro, between GPS receiver and windshield glass. Or GPS receiver glued to some other Suction mount.

Do you see my point?

almaz said:
Do you see my point?

for your needs this is probably not the camera for you, better to get something with built in GPS and suction mount

Oh yeah I guess they didn't design it for all markets. There is no standard screw mount as you said. Hopefully you or someone else thinks up a better work around than Velcro.

JazJon said:
Oh yeah I guess they didn't design it for all markets. .

no matter what you do there's always some compromise, you can't be all things to all people unfortunately, that's why we have variety though, what's perfect for one person is pointless for the next and likewise the other way

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pavlov Mini 0801 16
Back