Smartphone can be a dashcam easily!

The YouTube is not the issue, however you can explain in text if you wanted. But the issue is the two and a half threads on the same topic, its more of spamming rather than productive information at that point. One thread would do just fine I'd think.

Well firstly
someone suggested me to put on other categories because it is related
Secondly, I don't have to tell explain myself Thx

this is a useful sources .. you use it.. of not thank you for watching

Well firstly
someone suggested me to put on other categories because it is related
Secondly, I don't have to tell explain myself Thx

this is a useful sources .. you use it.. of not thank you for watching

Wow, alright then. I was just making a comment and trying to keep things organized. Also I'm pretty sure you were told to put it here as not to clutter up the Möbius thread, either way, no biggie. No need to get all defensive, I'm just unsure why there are many separate threads on this. It would be nice if an admin merged the two threads here so the info can be consolidated and be less spread out. Also if the threads are merged, feel free to delete this as its will just clutter stuff up. Sorry if you are offended by my comments but multiple threads on one topic is typically against forum etiquette and also rules.

I suggested to post your 3 x previouse "copy-paste" exactly the same posts into THIS sub-forum here.
Because your discussion is related to "Smartphones as a dash cams", - then it would be more appropriate to publish your very first post in this sub-forum and if it's really related to other sub-forums ( discussions ), then you can leave small note in those other sub-forums / threads with a link which takes to THIS thread here. This way all discussions will be in one place. Now I see discussion in 3 different places and hope you agree with me, - it's getting messy and hard for reader to follow up.
Anyway, hope no hard feelings me being "smart", - just helping you for next time ;) This will benefit whole community.

Last edited:
I did try using my smartphone as a dash cam for a few times, but it just doesn't make sense for me. My battery gets eaten up even if I have it charging and I'm left with no battery. Also, I love using my dash cam's parking mode so I know I'll be protected even when I'm not in my car. This is something I'll never get my with phone since I won't leave it in my car.

Hi Calvin, I doubt Note 3 would work without issues, while recording 4K or even FHD when driving with full sun ahead on hot summer day for more then 30 minutes - as I see you're from Canada so I suppose you didn't test it in such extreme conditions. While it's possible to find appropiate and powerful car charger (there arent many) you can't do much with overheating. Beside that I see on your evening videos that it's even imbossible to read license plates from cars in front of yours. And there is another big disadvantege over such solution: I've been using mainly a DailyRoadsVoyager as dash-cam-app on my smartphones and there was/is a big problem: it looks like only one app at a time can use GPS signal on Android (or at least in case of a few devices I've tested), so it was impossible for me to use navigation together with dashCam - VERY unpractical. So although I wish to 'employ' Note as dashCam, I find it impossible for regular use.

I tried Galaxy SII for a week or so and it has really good quality video but then my battery got overheated and died.
Had to buy replacement battery and haven't used it as dashcam since then.
Lesson learned. :)

The problem is the one time you're in a rush and don't have time to set up your phone to record is the one time a moment of truth (accident etc) will occur where you miss the recording all together. It seems ok in the beginning but can you honestly say you'll mount the phone and start recoding each and every time you enter the car? You really need a rock solid set it and forget it appliance and that's what a DashCam is for.

The problem is the one time you're in a rush and don't have time to set up your phone to record is the one time a moment of truth (accident etc) will occur where you miss the recording all together. It seems ok in the beginning but can you honestly say you'll mount the phone and start recoding each and every time you enter the car? You really need a rock solid set it and forget it appliance and that's what a DashCam is for.
Recently for a couple of months I've been using Samsung Captivate Glide as DashCam together with DailyRoads. I've been many times in rush and never had problem to do 3 quick things before starting engine: plug car charge cable into the phone, put it all in "quick-catch", firm holder and press DR icon on screen - that's all, it just 5 seconds. If I could find way to make a voice command start for this app and have something like a car-dock instead of car-holder + cable (or even better: car-dock autorecognition) it would be as simple as putting phone to it. And that's something I've been doing even before using dashCam apps, beacause I needed to operate with calls and navi easily while driving.
The problem occured when days became hotter and suddenly I've saw a "Battery is too hot, charging is stopped" warning on the screen - that made the whole solution very unpractical. And based on other's experiences here I see now that I've been lucky not losing my battery. I wonder if S Note 3 gives such warning in case of overheating or rather it just breaks.

Recently for a couple of months I've been using Samsung Captivate Glide as DashCam together with DailyRoads. I've been many times in rush and never had problem to do 3 quick things before starting engine: plug car charge cable into the phone, put it all in "quick-catch", firm holder and press DR icon on screen - that's all, it just 5 seconds. If I could find way to make a voice command start for this app and have something like a car-dock instead of car-holder + cable (or even better: car-dock autorecognition) it would be as simple as putting phone to it. And that's something I've been doing even before using dashCam apps, beacause I needed to operate with calls and navi easily while driving.
The problem occured when days became hotter and suddenly I've saw a "Battery is too hot, charging is stopped" warning on the screen - that made the whole solution very unpractical. And based on other's experiences here I see now that I've been lucky not losing my battery. I wonder if S Note 3 gives such warning in case of overheating or rather it just breaks.
honestly i would not give cellphone apps the time of day other than maybe an emergency situation where you absolutely need it but don't have any other solution.

granted, i have been a delivery driver for 7 years and driving 60-150 miles a day just for work, which includes stopping and starting my car many times a shift, any steps beyond starting my car eventually become too tiresome.

I have used a phone as a dashcam using autoguard pro app. It worked fine for a short drive but def had many cons:
1. Phone battery gets hot especially during summer
2. Overheats if I used autoguard app and google map navigation.
3. Not convenient to put/take off phone from dash mount every time I enter/exit from my car.

I havent used my phone as a dash cam since I got my B40/A118 dashcam installed. Not only it looks muh more discrete with all the wires tucked in/hidden from the view but also provide much wider recordig angle. Plus, its more convenient because dashcam starts as soon as I fire up my engine.

There is only this one phone can do that now
Samsung S4, Note2 and Note 3

Mount on your windows and start recording.. but recording including front and back at the same time

check this out:
I just realized my S5 has the same capabilities. My question is will my recording loop and if so how much recording time is in the loop? I have 32gig card in my phone.

I just realized my S5 has the same capabilities. My question is will my recording loop and if so how much recording time is in the loop? I have 32gig card in my phone.
The heat is the main issue against using a phone as a dash cam, especially if it's plugged in or sitting in the sun.

Smartphone is great for short-term, however it would burn through the battery. I like the set it and forget it approach when buying a dedicated dashcam.

I always use TomTom on my iPhone in the car and without fail it kills the batteries usually within a year, I'm ready for swapping over to another one now as sometimes the battery doesn't last four hours from a single charge now.

If it's an Android and you like it, there are many ways to triple the battery life and update it.

Back