Smartphone can be a dashcam easily!

I used my Samsung as a dashcam for a while (between cams!) - great quality footage but having it constantly recording sucked the life out of my battery - even though the phone was plugged into the car & on charge.
I also noticed the phone would get VERY hot during use.
Incoming mail, texts or calls would severely disrupt recording.
Mobile phones aren't designed to be constantly recording - they really were only intended to record snippets for social media.

I used my Samsung as a dashcam for a while (between cams!) - great quality footage but having it constantly recording sucked the life out of my battery - even though the phone was plugged into the car & on charge.
I also noticed the phone would get VERY hot during use.
Incoming mail, texts or calls would severely disrupt recording.
Mobile phones aren't designed to be constantly recording - they really were only intended to record snippets for social media.
Did you use a dash cam app? Such as Daily Roads? You can record with the screen off. When I had my S2 with Daily Roads running, I had no problem running on battery alone for 2-4 hours.

Think we have a Samsung fanboy amongst us :D

The OP's post is spread all over the board. It should be consolidated so all the comments can be read & answered in one place.

The OP's post is spread all over the board. It should be consolidated so all the comments can be read & answered in one place.

Hence my post before yours :D

I have an S4 that I used as a dashcam. I used it in 80F weather and it broke my camera. It also gets hot even when I use it to browse Reddit, so imagine what that's going to be like if I leave it in the sun recording. Also, I plan to test out the dual cab feature once I get a windshield mount.

In an emergency, if I had no dashcam available I'd use a phone, any recording is better than no recording, the odds of me not having a dashcam available though are very slim

All that aside though I would like a Galaxy Note 3, they look like a great device

Did you use a dash cam app? Such as Daily Roads? You can record with the screen off. When I had my S2 with Daily Roads running, I had no problem running on battery alone for 2-4 hours.
Yes, I was using an app (can't remember the name now). I ended up turning everything off so as nothing could interfere - but the phone got waay too hot for my liking.

I use my Samsung S3 as a dashcam. However, I just got my RX300s and now I don't need to use my S3 for that anymore. The RX300 has an F1.6 lens so much much much better at night than the S3. Also, the field of view of 120 degrees is much better than the S3's 76 degrees (my guess). I don't recommend using a phone as a dashcam if you have a real dash cam available - the field of view limitation is too much. If you bought a third party lens adapter for you phone it would be a big hassle to have to put it on and take it off every time.

Also, the battery on the S3 would drain even when plugged in at a maximum 1100 milliamps power input - the camera + GPS takes way too much power. A three hour drive would completely deplete the S3's battery, even when plugged into a 2.1 A charger.

Now I can free up 16 GB of space off of my phone! It's so much better to have a real dash cam. :)

They are saying that because a lot of people who use a dashcam leave it there 24/7. They do not want to have to remove it and place it back everytime they get in and out of the car. Also, if you do not leave it there, you cannot do parking mode.
+1

Just tonight I had to go for a quick run and had no hassle. Got in made sure light was on drove away. No putting a phone in a holder, launching an app, fiddling around, and then driving away. I'm all for more choices of course, but as a user who has it on more often then off this is just not the set up for me.

Plus I don't want the miles if you will on my phone.

Think we have a Samsung fanboy amongst us :D

I've never seen so many borderline advertisement posts about a device as this. LOL Aside from that I figured I'd continue my conversation with the OP from the other thread.

:)

This is a default camera and nothing can do even though you have dash cam or my Samsung! But I like this because it can capture my blind spot. . Both are good device... but I won't spend money on dash cam...

What do you mean Its nothing I can do with a dash cam? There are two way dash cams that face front and rear if you wanted or face anywhere for that matter. But anyway I'm glad you are happy with your phone's camera app and that it works as your dash cam.

I don't mean to be rude, but do you really need to spam this everywhere in every section of the forum? It seems to me you are just trying to get youtube views rather than help out others.

Back