Smartphone photography

DaveLC2

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
DOD LS360W
Just wondering if anyone tinkers around with what they have available with them at any given time? I shoot Nikon for my DSLR & SLR bodies but I also use whatever too. I like the challenge of trying to get a nice shot with a $5 thrift camera. Olympus has some nice older digital point and shoot cameras with 2.8 glass but they take smart media memory. Yeah remember that format?

Anyhoot Apple has always done a decent job at snapping pics. You are a bit limited on the controls though. I recently got frustrated with all of the problems that I had been having with all of my iPhones and decided to give Android a try. Rather than diving in buying a $800+ Android I decided to try a $150 cheap unlocked Android to see if I like the operating system. Turns out that Apple is trying to be Android and Android is trying to be Apple. This made the transition go pretty smooth for the most part. I went with a ZTE Axon 7 Mini. My expectations were quite low. I was initially pretty unimpressed with the camera's performance. The low light is absolute garbage without flash in Auto mode. To my surprise the phone's manual mode is quite capable even in low light. The video does suck as there is no image stabilization. On manual mode for the camera you have full manual control over the exposure, ISO, white balance, color temp and most of all focus. It does limit you if you activate the flash but I really don't like using the flash anyway and try to use whatever available light there is for the natural look. Oh and the front facing speakers with Dolby Atmos are pretty freaking amazing too. The regular Axon 7 is a higher spec phone with a better camera but they were apparently sold out nationwide when I ordered on Best Buy's site. Sorry for the long post. Here are some manual shots. Feel free to post what you shot with your mobile device. I want to see.

Attachments

• IMG_8285.JPG
    IMG_8285.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8286.JPG
    IMG_8286.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8284.JPG
    IMG_8284.JPG
    479.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
I find the 12 MP camera of my UMI Z quite funny, some times it take really good pictures and other times in similar lighting conditions i have to take the same picture 2-3 times before i get something i want to use.
And its not like i am used to better phone cameras, or compare to my Nikon Dslr.
Luckily i dont use the phone camera much, so it just is what it is.

The only thing my selfie camera get right is my disdain for phones, color might be okay i have not gotten that much sun and the light source was my monitor, only other light are a couple of little LED bulbs behind me.

IMG_20180801_004451.jpg

the back camera have some weird yellow blobs in the pictures i have not noticed before.

Last edited:
It should be noted that my front facing camera is not that great. The sweaty selfie that I took was with the rear facing camera and I just used a large mirror hanging on the wall to set up my shot.

Dave

Back