Snap N Go OBD II Connector in Lieu of PMP....?

DroMike

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S (pending)
Since I just this month happened to have discovered hundreds of road rage/crash videos while wasting time on YouTube, I'm obviously convinced I need to purchase a dashcam. I saw some "TV-only" mirror cam advertisement a few years ago, so was greatly surprised to see that since then there's been a huge proliferation of them and now they're quite common. If reviews turn out good, the BlackVue DR900S 4K ("900S") model about to come out in a few weeks seems like a wise choice (considering it will boast the ultimate in clarity), but before I purchase one, I wanted to research how to power it (or any dashcam), especially in regards to the parking features.

I was going to go with an external stand-alone battery pack for this because I wasn't enamored with hard-wiring into my fuse box, nor any attendant hassle of removing panels, crimping and replacing fuses, etc. However, last night I came across this product, "Snap n Go OBD II Connector" ("SnG") that seems to be a much easier solution than this Power Magic Pro ("PMP"). Since I am brand new to this I just have a few questions to anybody that already has one, the manufacturer (7-Day [something]) or even anybody with a 2-cent opinion:

1. Would the SnG (like the PMP?) hookup be all I need to completely power the dashcam (in other words, I don't need any separate power pack or even a cigarette lighter connection, right?).

2. Would the SnG do everything the PMP does (I noticed there is an ACC or on/off switch for parking mode only).

3. [Question perhaps for the manufacturer only] I noticed the SnG currently works with the BV750 and earlier models. Would there be any reason to believe it would not also work with the 900S?

Thanks for any help with my first post here! - Mike

Looking at the pics, it seems to preclude the use of any other ODB device, such as the My Honda dongle, when it is plugged in. It doesn't appear to have pass-through capability. A bit remiss in the design.

Looking at the pics, it seems to preclude the use of any other ODB device, such as the My Honda dongle, when it is plugged in. It doesn't appear to have pass-through capability. A bit remiss in the design.

never seen one with a pass through feature, to be honest I don't think that would be a good idea anyway to be tapping into this in between another device, don't even trust these OBD power supplies to begin with, a lot of them have no protection built into them at all

@jokiin
What's your opinion on the Owl Cam/Raven?
Both are using the ODB-II port.

the snap n go has a switch .. just flip it .. for ACC or parking mode.

OBD II GPS Cable Splitter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B008YHUR9U
A news interview at a repair shop did say they sometimes get vehicles that just stop running. He thinks the problem is with the OBD port being continually used which may be screwing up the on board computers in some vehicles.

Last edited:
Back