So a rock chipped my windshield today...

DashcamFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
And I have a footage of it from my dashcam. I believe it came from a pickup truck that probably kicked up a rock from the ground. Can I use the footage to make the pickup truck owner to pay for my windshield repair? Or am I out of luck, and I have to repair it myself?

In general, does a dashcam footage serve enough evidence for this kind of damage?

And I have a footage of it from my dashcam. I believe it came from a pickup truck that probably kicked up a rock from the ground. Can I use the footage to make the pickup truck owner to pay for my windshield repair? Or am I out of luck, and I have to repair it myself?

In general, does a dashcam footage serve enough evidence for this kind of damage?
In order to get the other driver to pay you would have to show negligence on his/her part and kicking up a rock from the roadway would not fall into that category.

would depend on the circumstances I would think, if just driving along and the car in front threw a rock up would come down to bad luck, something that falls off a moving vehicle would be a different story, as would reckless driving, eg; purposely spinning the wheels on a loose surface and throwing rocks up as a result, not easy things to prove and likely a civil matter

Anything being kicked up on the road is called an act of God and is not the other drivers fault, now if the rock fell off the pickup or truck then they are at fault.

can he sue if he's atheist or agnostic? :p
If common sense say no, yes you can.o_O
When God can't protect you against idiot, law will protect them.:wtf:

Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants
Liebeck v. McDonald's Restaurants,[1] also known as the McDonald's coffee case and the hot coffee lawsuit, was a 1994 product liability lawsuit that became a flashpoint in the debate in the United States over tort reform. Although a New Mexico civil jury awarded $2.86 million to plaintiff Stella Liebeck, a 79-year-old woman who suffered third-degree burns in her pelvic region when she accidentally spilled hot coffee in her lap after purchasing it from a McDonald's restaurant, ultimately Liebeck was only awarded $640,000. Liebeck was hospitalized for eight days while she underwent skin grafting, followed by two years of medical treatment.

Liebeck's attorneys argued that, at 180–190 °F (82–88 °C), McDonald's coffee was defective, claiming it was too hot and more likely to cause serious injury than coffee served at any other establishment. McDonald's had refused several prior opportunities to settle for less than what the jury ultimately awarded.[2] The jury damages included $160,000[3] to cover medical expenses and compensatory damages and $2.7 million in punitive damages. The trial judge reduced the final verdict to $640,000, and the parties settled for a confidential amount before an appeal was decided.

The case was said by some to be an example of frivolous litigation;[4] ABC News called the case "the poster child of excessive lawsuits",[5] while the legal scholar Jonathan Turley argued that the claim was "a meaningful and worthy lawsuit".[6] In June 2011, HBO premiered Hot Coffee, a documentary that discussed in depth how the Liebeck case has centered in debates on tort reform.[7][8][dead link]

I believe it came from a pickup truck that probably kicked up a rock from the ground. Can I use the footage to make the pickup truck owner to pay for my windshield repair? Or am I out of luck, and I have to repair it myself?
Keep distance to trucks, special when there leaving construction site. Small stone can stick into the grove of the tire and there will fly of as he speed up.

You would have to prove the rock came from the pickup, itself, not on road and thrown up by the tires.

In the US you'll sometimes see large stickers on the back of dump trucks that say something like
'Keep back 200 feet. Not responsible for broken windshields'.

stay-back-200-feet-sign-s-9933.png

The fact the dumptruck will cut you off and dive in front of you with 50-100 feet of distance doesn't seem to register with the driver or owner, and they make no efffort to keep 200 feet away from other traffic.

You're not likely to prove the rock came from the pickup truck, itself, unless you have video or pictures showing the pickup had loose rocks on it, somewhere.

(You can almost always find some loose gravel on dump trucks that haul gravel, and any other truck that may have loaded some construction equipment on a lowboy or flatbed trailer)

In Michigan (I don't know if it's a matter of law or a judicial finding, likely the latter) if a rock comes off a truck and hits another vehicle directly the truck owner is responsible, if it hits the ground first then it's an 'act of God'. :confused:

(I'm sure it a matter of a trucking company having a really good attorney. :mad: )

At least where I live all auto insurance policies include a "road rock" clause. If you have a cracked or chipped windshield you can stop by practically any glass repair place for a prompt replacement or resin repair without even submitting a claim. They will work it out with your insurance company and it might cost the customer a modest deductible. The last time this happened to me it cost me 25 bucks. Almost wish it would happen again as living on a dirt road my windshield is so full of pock marks I could use a new one. :)

Last edited:
At least where I live all auto insurance policies include a "road rock" clause. If you have a cracked or chipped windshield you can stop by practically any glass repair place for a prompt replacement or resin repair without even submitting a claim. They will work it out with your insurance company and it might cost the customer a modest deductible. The last time this happened to me it cost me 25 bucks. Almost wish it would happen again as living on a dirt road my windshield is so full of pock marks I could use a new one. :)
Yep, I have full glass coverage rider myself because of this. Unfortunately, when the windshield is hit by a fist sized hunk of broken concrete that bounces off the hood a time or two before hitting the glass there's a bit of damage not covered by the expanded coverage. :(

Yep, I have full glass coverage rider myself because of this. Unfortunately, when the windshield is hit by a fist sized hunk of broken concrete that bounces off the hood a time or two before hitting the glass there's a bit of damage not covered by the expanded coverage. :(

Jeez! Now that's what you call a "road rock"! The one that last hit my windshield was a pebble. (Got the moment of impact on video with no obvious culprit on the Interstate.)

Jeez! Now that's what you call a "road rock"! The one that last hit my windshield was a pebble. (Got the moment of impact on video with no obvious culprit on the Interstate.)
And we haven't yet talked about the damage done to portions of my wardrobe..... :yuck:

There is no mistake of the truck driver so you can't ask him for windshield replacement or repair claim until you have proof of his negligence.
Welcome to the forum... but do note the the date on messages.. this one died a long time ago

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Dash Cam Discussion 1