So does buffered parking mode actually work with the Plus?

AusMat

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hey all

So we all know the buffered parking mode is super hit and miss on the original A129, but how does it operate on the Plus? Is it still as buggy and unreliable, or is it mostly flawless? (For example, it doesn't miss what amounts to an entire video clip if something is happening infront of the camera at the time its supposed to go save clip and start the next?)

Also, out of interest, does the original A129's rear 1080p camera work with the Plus front camera? (so i could essentially just buy the front camera and plug it in, though am contemplating the 4k version or maybe a different camera setup entirely if these park mode bugs aren't ironed out across their range....)

Cheers

[edit] and just to add, im kinda over the old "it has xxx bug, just use yyy until they fix the bug". I had a A119 and currently running the A129 Duo with low bitrate mode parking (which i thought was largely problem free compared to the A119 at the time) but alas its fallen into the same cycle of theres problems, viofo throw out firmwares that cause more issues, until one day they drop a new camera and thats it for the older one....

Last edited:
If your car is exposed to heat avoid 4k version.
No you cannot use the rear as the plus has processing in the rear camera as well as front. To top it off you also need to change the cable.

I don't have head wiring or parking mode so cannot advise re. It.

Just installed the a129 plus duo a few days ago. I can tell you now I am having issues with buffered parking mode. On all my tests it seems to pick up movement, but starts recording around the 2 second mark AFTER the movement is detected.
Kind of disappointing but I assume they are working on it since the plus version was released late last year.

just a side note, as disappointing as it is that the camera doesn’t perform all operations perfectly, I do have to say everything else works as intended and the video looks great.

Damn on both accounts, seems as if the standard plus has the same rear camera though, just 4k rear is different? (Unless someone gave me bad info on that too, they said the GPS mount is the same between them also....)

Disappointing that the park mode is just as fault on the plus as it is on the 1080p version. I dont think i'll take the plunge on a third viofo camera with the "hope" of them working on the problem/fixing it down the line, thats always an ongoing thing is major features it seems :(

Damn on both accounts, seems as if the standard plus has the same rear camera though, just 4k rear is different? (Unless someone gave me bad info on that too, they said the GPS mount is the same between them also....)

Disappointing that the park mode is just as fault on the plus as it is on the 1080p version. I dont think i'll take the plunge on a third viofo camera with the "hope" of them working on the problem/fixing it down the line, thats always an ongoing thing is major features it seems :(
The rear cameras on the A129 DUO and A129 Pro DUO are the same. The rear camera on the A129 Plus DUO is different. The GPS mount is the same for all three models.

I just want to take a moment to call out VIOFO, and anyone that sees this should seriously consider this before buying their products. Unfortunately I learned buffered parking mode is NOT coming to the a129 plus duo. Even after being marketed with it. Such a shame really that this happened, but I can’t support a company that lies about its product. I say steer clear of VIOFO, this is super disappointing.

My a129 plus will be getting pulled out of my car. Sad too cause I put it in there so nice :(

Attachments

• 14B5BB61-066A-44BE-B6AE-B73C4F346565.png
    14B5BB61-066A-44BE-B6AE-B73C4F346565.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • A4D56AED-2B74-4CA1-8EDB-2C4BB4A11926.png
    A4D56AED-2B74-4CA1-8EDB-2C4BB4A11926.png
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • F90916AB-6673-45EF-A07C-E72BEBCF67E8.png
    F90916AB-6673-45EF-A07C-E72BEBCF67E8.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
I'm on the same boat. I bought the a129 plus because it is advertised with buffered parking mode. After paying more than 100 dollars for a professional installation now i found that it does not have this function, or at least it's not working.

Now what?Amazon.com  VIOFO Dual Dash Cam, 2K 1440P 60fps+1080P 30fps Front and Rear Dash Camera with Wi...png

I just want to take a moment to call out VIOFO, and anyone that sees this should seriously consider this before buying their products. Unfortunately I learned buffered parking mode is NOT coming to the a129 plus duo. Even after being marketed with it. Such a shame really that this happened, but I can’t support a company that lies about its product. I say steer clear of VIOFO, this is super disappointing.

My a129 plus will be getting pulled out of my car. Sad too cause I put it in there so nice :(
Same here.

I can confirm that (at least my) Viofo A129 plus duo with firmware v1.4, parking mode enabled, a power bank (not hardwired), and a SanDisk Max Endurance card:
  1. Enters auto parking mode after a few minutes of no movement in the cameras’ fields of view (record light blinks to indicate standby mode; P icon shows stick man).

2. Records for a minute or so after detecting movement in auto parking mode.

3. Does not buffer (nothing is recorded before the trigger movement).

4. Works in time-lapse parking mode (record light constant; P icon shows clock)., but seems slow to enter that mode and flips frequently back to regular recording (record light constant; icon shows car) unless parking mode G sensitivity is set to low.

5. Does not lock (write to OR subdirectory) files triggered by the G-sensor in parking mode. (Pressing the ! button in regular recording does lock the recorded file).

6. Exhausts an inexpensive (30Wh??) power bank in about 6 hrs of either tested parking mode.
Other features work as expected.

I prefer not to hardwire in a hybrid vehicle, because it uses a 45Ah 12v battery (smaller than cranking batteries in most conventional combustion vehicles) that is subject to continuous low drain for vehicle electronics and needed to enter vehicle ‘ready’ mode.

Also, after Codec H.265 is selected, MediaInfo shows that the A129 plus duo seems to use HEVC/H.265 for the front camera recordings but continue use of AVC/H.264 for the rear camera.

If your car is exposed to heat avoid 4k version.

What could go wrong if it was exposed to heat? I live in hot area where the average temperature is 45C for extended periods of time? I believe all Viofo products are equipped with capacitors.

What could go wrong if it was exposed to heat? I live in hot area where the average temperature is 45C for extended periods of time? I believe all Viofo products are equipped with capacitors.
4K cameras run very hot, not a good choice if you are in a hot climate, the 2K cameras run much cooler

To my knowledge the A129 Plus Duo (the subject of this thread) is not sold in a 4K version. That would be the A129 Pro.
4K = 4096 * 2160 pixels
Qaud = 2560 * 1440 pixels
2K = 2048 * 1152 pixels.
In the A129 plus, the rear camera is 1K (1920 *1080 pixels)
From memory, you have some choices of resolution, fps and bitrate in the menu, but I have not tested whether any of this alters temperature.
You can also mount the dashcam body under part of the plastic trim in many vehicles, to keep it out of direct sun on the windscreens (F&R).
I am in the subtropics, and I have not yet had a problem with the A129 plus duo (mounted under plastic trim at the front) overheating

4k cameras overheat and shutdown in hot climates, using them in that kind of environment will likely shorten their lifespan also

And that's the case with viofo products or dash cams in general?

And that's the case with viofo products or dash cams in general?
if you're in a hot climate and you want parking mode 2K max is a better choice, Viofo have made some changes to drop to 1080p in parking mode which helps reduce heat compared to other 4K cameras

The Viofo A129 Plus Duo (the subject of this thread) does not alter resolution in parking mode; but you have some menu choices to alter fps or bitrate or use event detection in parking mode. If you use time lapse (lowered fps) parking mode, it disables audio recording. I have not tested whether any of this alters temperature.

I am in the subtropics, and I have not (even over summer) had any problem with overheating of the Quad A129 plus duo (mounted under plastic trim at the front). I am not sure that the 2K (non-Quad) version is still produced, and to my knowledge there is no 4K version.

Back