So I’m confused with all the SD card numbers

in2ndo

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got a Thinkware U1000 currently running a https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07P7M6K35
Only had it for a couple of days but my OCD won’t leave alone... so I keep reading. Lol.
I’m trying to balance the available space and speed so that the camera can run comfortably. And not put unnecessary stress on the card or the camera. Specially since summers here in Cali can get up to 120 as a norm. So..
I’m thinking in changing the card with this one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07P4HBRMV
Do you guys know what the difference between UHS-1 U3 and UHS U3 is ?

there is this statement in the blackboxmycar website
“Got a Thinkware U1000 Dual Channel dash cam? Because the U1000 offers 4K in the front camera and 2K in the rear camera, you can opt for a UHS Class 3 SD card, like the Samsung Evo Plus. But be sure not to use a UHS-I U3 card in a Full HD dash cam - the main board may not be designed to process faster than Class 10 or UHS-1 card and the dash cam may heat up excessively.”

and that is what the 512G card that I have now is.
I don’t want to use a card that is either going to not be taken advantage of by the camera or have unnecessary speed that is going to make the camera work harder unnecessarily.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, I purchased the exact one you linked to first and it works perfectly for me in freezing cold.

For what it is worth, I purchased the exact one you linked to first and it works perfectly for me in freezing cold.
My concern is the heat. If the extra speed is going to make the camera run hotter. that is not going to help in summer time. Basically I'm trying to not over kill. but I think I got my answer. I guess when they say not to use in full HD cameras. it means 1080p cameras. so the QHD and 4K's like the U1000 should be ok.

The Endurance cards are specifically designed for dashcams and the web site literally has a picture of a dashcam, bodycam and IP camera on. I think it's the best choice and not worth another thought.

The Endurance cards are specifically designed for dashcams and the web site literally has a picture of a dashcam, bodycam and IP camera on. I think it's the best choice and not worth another thought.
Yeah, the endurance is what I was thinking in getting. but I'm still reading..... LOL. texted with Blackboxmycar and the statement applies to full HD meaning 1080p. and not to 4K or 2K . so now I'm thinking the Sandisk 512GB extreme should be ok. So I'll probably end up keeping that one. I just have to stop reading... .LOL.

Well Extreme isn't designed for dashcams. But really they all seem to work fine for me, I had a normal one for years and it was fine.

Oh yeah the most important thing, if you are buying from Amazon, to make sure it is DIRECT from Amazon. So many 3rd parties sell fake ones.

Oh yeah the most important thing, if you are buying from Amazon, to make sure it is DIRECT from Amazon. So many 3rd parties sell fake ones.
I know. I learned my lesson the hard way a while ago. I’m just going to keep the extreme. And see how it goes. I’ve always use SanDisk in my dash cams and has never let me down.

More than you want to know about SD cards: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_card
Unfortunately, power usage is one thing never specified by SD cards. Yes, power usage goes up with faster cards, but power usage can vary wildly for different manufacturers and product lines.
Faster memory cards usually have more contacts. I'm not aware of any dashcam that would make use of the faster interface that these extra contacts provide. They would only be helpful if for offloading the data if you have a memory card reader that utilizes these extra contacts.

Back