So "IMax" on Amazon is the real deal

Sprag

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9665GC G1W-C
Im on vacation and a bit bored this afternoon, so what's a guy to do. I decided to take apart my 1 day old G1W-C and see if it's the real deal and at the same time paint the chrome lens and front cover with flat black paint. Oh yeah, it is a real one lol !image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg All back together blacked out.

Now that was easy, wasn't it? And the results look good. Kind of make me wonder why we see so many people who want a black lens trim but won't take a few minutes to do what you and I did.

Phil

It wasn't so much about the black trim, well it was but I just wanted to make sure it was real and not a fake and after taking the front cover and lens ring off I had to take a peak under the board to look at he chip and I'm glad I did. It was a pretty easy job.

A couple of years ago when I bought a Shadow GT300W dash cam it came covered in white Chinese lettering and logos and I had no use for the very visible LED illuminator so the first thing I did was pop the front shell off the housing and paint it with black camo paint. Definitely a worthwhile project! I used Rust-Oleum ultra flat camouflage paint which I've become a big fan of for "stealthifying" dash cams.

GT300paintjob.jpg

That's the same paint I used as well, it's ultra flat. Nice job !

That's the same paint I used as well, it's ultra flat. Nice job !

Thanks!

That camo paint has proven itself to be very durable compared to typical flat black spray paints. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise considering how the paint is intended to be used. I'm sure they didn't have dash cams in mind when they developed it. Anyway, it made the camera almost invisible behind my windshield, especially when compared to the way it was. It also worked far better than the cheaper, less flat spray paint I tried previously on another camera.

Probably not, but it sure does a nice job !

It looks like it would be a lot harder, you did a good job !

It looks like it would be a lot harder, you did a good job !

Thanks. I don't know if you read the whole lengthy post but the challenge was having to carefully remove the rubberized silicone coating on the camera's housing with acetone and do a lot of prep work before painting.

I didn't read all of it but I will later on.

Back