So Many Choices What Should I be looking for Besides?

Oneida1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have looked at Several Brands and Models for each that has a decent Review those that have use one have had an issue

Rexing V1 Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD FHD 1080p 170 Degree Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with Sony Exmor Video Sensor, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording

I am wondering if this one is a decent one without much trouble / issues as to using it?
Can It have a Auto Turn On when the Vehicle starts to move if not hardwired in?
Or can you turn it on as you are driving to record images of wild driving etc?
Is there a Battery or is it only Powered by having it Plugged in to an 12 Volt Source or maybe a a USB in the Vehicle?
Does It record the Speed always or can that be turned off or on?
How Hard is to Transfer from the SD Media to a Computer?

Not much with the Tech Stuff just seeing if I should get a Dash Cam.

Anything I missed I need to know about using a dashcam? Just started Looking at them?
Oneida1

I think the primary function of, and reason for having, a dashcam is more to do with whether you consider yourself being at considerable risk of being involved in a crash, especially if there's a high population of idiot drivers near you. There are near me, but as of this year I literally hardly drive anymore!

If you have a 12v port/cig lighter port that isn't permanently live, you could just plug the cam in there which would come on only when you start the car and switch off when you switch off the car. Memory cards for cams tend to be favoured between 32gb and 128gb with the newest cams, you can get between 2 hours to maybe 10 hours of solid recording, meaning you can just fit the dashcam, put the card in, and forget all about it, you wont have to worry about missing some wild driving or interesting sites. Cams tend to have batteries but are powered from the car, the battery is there if you need to record for a few minutes away from the car to take evidential photos/video. If you have a camera phone and you live in a hot climate, you're better with a capacitor based cam, this is powered from the car. Car's USB ports don't generally give enough power to run a dashcam (maybe some do, depends on the car) but the 12v cig port always would. Speed.... it can usually be switched off, or at least turned off the display but may still be embedded in the files... unless you have a cam that takes a plug-in GPS receiver, you can just not have it plugged in. File Transfer - Most cams use file formats that can easily be viewed on any Computer, just take the micro SD card out and put it in the computer with a standard SD adapter unless your cam takes the standard SD cards anyway then you wont need an adapter

As for anything you may have missed.... something many people seem to forget when buying dashcams to "protect them from idiots on the roads", they forget that it also records their own driving :D So don't be tempted to pit-manoeuver the jackass who throws a drink out the car window!

Back