So much for USB charging....

dirkzelf

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
@GitupII

Here goes my first F1..... I guess there is't much to rescue is there....

20210418_210905.jpg

Attachments

• 20210418_210909_HDR.jpg
    20210418_210909_HDR.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 5
What happened?

I really don't know man, I took the camera for charging, and before inserting the charging cable I noticed the charging port was off center, so I opened the casing, and both pieces just fell right out... I haven't used any force at all on them, since I know what delicate stuff that is, but there is also an advantage to this: now I have an excuse to buy me something new ..... but it is sad nonetheless.....

Maybe the motorcycle's vibes killed it, but it is an ACTION camera that sould be up for it's task....

I really don't know man, I took the camera for charging, and before inserting the charging cable I noticed the charging port was off center, so I opened the casing, and both pieces just fell right out... I haven't used any force at all on them, since I know what delicate stuff that is, but there is also an advantage to this: now I have an excuse to buy me something new ..... but it is sad nonetheless.....

I had something like that happen with a Mobius one time but not quite so bad. The plug got damaged but it stayed in place. I think the USB cable got yanked a couple of times and that's likely what did the mini-B port in.

I had something like that happen with a Mobius one time but not quite so bad. The plug got damaged but it stayed in place. I think the USB cable got yanked a couple of times and that's likely what did the mini-B port in.

I don't think so, I'm always very carefull inserting the connector....

I don't think so, I'm always very carefull inserting the connector....

So was I, but somewhere along the lines the cable apparently got yanked.

Maybe your USB port simply failed when you plugged/unplugged it? I've seen that happen. USB ports have always seemed like the most vulnerable thing on a dash cam.

Haha my friend have the same bike. :)

I've broken 2 of those d@#^ ports with one my fault. I hate them. I HATE THEM :mad:

@dirkzelf a good computer or phone repair shop might be able to fix it. I have considered epoxying all mine after testing and/or warranty to prevent breakage but sure as I do, the d@#^ things will fail electrically and I won't be able to replace them :oops:

I'm not sure USB-C is any better in this regard. No USB was designed for this type of use; they're meant for semi-permanant connections on a desktop PC and it's peripherals, not a vibrating jolting dashcam where the wire can get accidentally pulled around once in awhile.

Phil

I suppose I won't hear from GitUp any day soon....

OK, Gitup does not blink, so I need a solution to keep using the camera w/o USB power input. As I have 2 camera's I can still charge the batteries, but one battery does not charge any further than half (50%) even after an overnight charge (in the remaining undamaged camera, where the other battery charges to full 100%), I need new batteries as well.

Any idea's? Buy extra batteries and a desktop charger I guess? Does Gitup (or anyone else) sell that?

I've broken 2 of those d@#^ ports with one my fault. I hate them. I HATE THEM :mad:

@dirkzelf a good computer or phone repair shop might be able to fix it. I have considered epoxying all mine after testing and/or warranty to prevent breakage but sure as I do, the d@#^ things will fail electrically and I won't be able to replace them :oops:

I like the idea of epoxying the USB connectio/wires/harness, however, if after epoxying something DOES break after all, there's no going back I'm affraid...

Might hot glue be an option? With some carefull attention, that could be removed in case of disaster.

No USB was designed for this type of use; they're meant for semi-permanant connections on a desktop PC and it's peripherals, not a vibrating jolting dashcam where the wire can get accidentally pulled around once in awhile.

Up to a point you may be correct, but these cams are sold as ACTION camera's, not for stationairy use like surveilance camera's. As a matter of fact many buy these cams for dashcam use or in RC flight setting, setting aside the battery and heat thingie, the USB ports should be up for the task. But that's just my 2 cents.

Hot melt glue would probably make a good alternative to epoxy. I guess the real point here would be how much time, effort, and money are put into the cam. At some point it's going to die in a less repairable way anyhow; nothing lives forever :whistle: It does seem the second battery is on the way out. I presume you know that Gitup and Viofo are the same person? Bill runs both companies but doesn't seem to pay as much attention to this one, probably due to the much larger business of dashcams needing his attention more acutely. Historically, he moves on from older products rather quickly, so he may not have much interest in the F1 anymore. However in his favor, he sometimes will provide spare parts not normally needed or listed; he did send me a case for a cam which I had stupidly broken for a very nominal price (y)

We're stuck with USB-based plugs and powering on cams and phones for mainly two reasons: one is that the usual voltage is what is needed, the second is that it's easy and cheap for manufacturers. Plus it's become a common usage. Better was and is available but not from a manufacturer's point of view. It's generally successful and we're stuck with it, along with any problems it has :( The charging port of my phone regularly gets bits of lint and sawdust in it whereas a headphone-type socket or concentric barrel connector would be less prone to the problem. Not only does the port get clogged, the plug with it's shrouded and recessed connections gets clogged up too :cautious:

Good, bad, or indifferent we get what we've got and short of re-engineering the world all we can do is work with that. Hope you can get the cam fixed without too much hassle, I really like the design of the F1 myself :cool:

Phil

I remember getting my last dumb phone ( some Nokia model ) it came with a host of charge adapters ranging from 2 mm barrel plug to some weird 1" wide contraption, and i assume these was just for compatibility with any Nokia phone.
If only camera makers would drop the idea of the camera also acting as a card reader, and even player, they could pretty much use any plug to power / charge the damn things.

OK, Gitup does not blink, so I need a solution to keep using the camera w/o USB power input. As I have 2 camera's I can still charge the batteries, but one battery does not charge any further than half (50%) even after an overnight charge (in the remaining undamaged camera, where the other battery charges to full 100%), I need new batteries as well.

Any idea's? Buy extra batteries and a desktop charger I guess? Does Gitup (or anyone else) sell that?

@dirkzelf, according to @gitup the YI AZ13-1 replacement battery will work for the F1.

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-f1-any-good-for-dash-cam-use.30556/post-374999

Not sure about a desktop charger though.

I wonder if it might be time for a new camera? Maybe even a dedicated motorcycle cam now that there is a nice selection to choose from.

This could solve the USB connection hassle in the camera:

H1c5ccc40d66d4757a50fe2b85f244ddft.jpg

I have no idea about further quality but this may be something.....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
lacibaci F1 4