So my dash cams came in handy yesterday.....

What did the other driver have to say?

The Saturn driver didn't have much to say other than he was sorry and that he was looking down at his phone when it happened.

The driver of the truck took it in stride and was actually pleasant and understanding about the whole ordeal.

Both vehicles were able to drive away on their own, but mine had to be towed.

Where I live it is illegal to use a handheld device while driving and the fines start at $100 plus 4 points on your license and go up from there. There is current discussion in the legislature about raising the initial fine to $500 plus 5 points. That's without even causing an accident! These laws were initially passed in my state after a teenage girl texting on her phone ran over and killed a bicyclist.

Last edited:
Is that a New York license plate on the Saturn? Co Because if I understand it correctly, in New York they pursue the whole distracted driver thing pretty seriously there.

Yes, it took place in NY
Both of the other cars had NY plates, but I'm visiting from Florida

I hear about the distracted driving enforcement that they have in New York and I live in Ontario. It makes me envious. But goes to show, even with much better enforcement, people still won't learn and still can't put their damn phones down.

Ontario has some perhaps the most severe laws for distracted driving. As of Jan 1, $600 to $1000 for first time offence. I see no changes from Dec 31. Drivers are fully aware of the insufficient enforcement.

Also this time of year sucks. I can see distracted drivers on my rear camera most of the year, except for this. Snow and salt.

Why do his sidelights if that is what they are appear to be the right width apart for a motorbike? I'm sure here that would be illegal, the sidelights should show where the sides of the vehicle are so that you don't collide in the dark!

It suck to be the salami in a turd sandwich.
I hope the guy was enjoying that picture of a cupcake so it was worth this much trouble.

Too bad about the Scion. I think you beat out Kamkar1 with the most cameras jammed into one car :oops:

Hehe yeah the guy in the back will really get in trouble if he try to get creative on his insurance papers.

Insurance: Not enough angles of the crash, claim denied

Seriously though thats some nice footage. Are you using an external battery to power you extra cams?

Insurance: Not enough angles of the crash, claim denied

Seriously though thats some nice footage. Are you using an external battery to power you extra cams?

Nope, a pair of Mini 0906's and a single B1W all connected to the fuse panel with parking guard hardwire kits (B1W footage starts @ 6:10)

I already contacted his insurance company, but did't tell them about the video yet ;)

Not sure if I'd do the same. It's well known that insurers never offer a fair compensation, especially when a vehicle is totally written off. Do look around and see if you can find very similar vehicles for sale then document the prices. Determine whether the car is worth more there or at home and use that location for your pricing. If they offer less then you've got proof of inadequate compensation to show them which usually gets you a better offer. If it's still too low then tell them about your video and how you and your attorney are going to play it in front of the jury which should change their tune to a nicer one for you. Also check NY laws to see if you can file a civil suit for uncovered damages and expenses as well as anything against the insurer for them not offering adequate compensation. The more ways you can find to make the insurance company show up in court the more leverage you'll have with them, for each court case will cost them several thousand dollars to fight, and with your video and proof of value they will know they're on a losing streak trying to fight you. They will then almost certainly give you what you're asking for as being the better option :cool:

I learned all this stuff from a professional insurance adjuster whose specialty was in valuing antique, classic, and custom vehicles and all the major insurance companies here used him since their own adjusters were totally lost with these types of vehicles. He wasn't cheap to hire but it was necessary for the insurers to use him so that the defendants didn't. I've seen it work when a friend's custom motorcycle was destroyed and he claimed a value just under the threshold of what insurers have to pay to get this guy involved, and they paid off. That claimed value was more than what it was actually worth which we riders well knew but the insurer's didn't, nor could they prove it, so they just paid the claim rather that risk paying more and losing the case anyway :cautious:

I'm not sure whether I hate insurance adjusters or politicians most, but I hope there's a special place in He!! for all of them :mad:

Phil

Not sure if I'd do the same. It's well known that insurers never offer a fair compensation, especially when a vehicle is totally written off. Do look around and see if you can find very similar vehicles for sale then document the prices. Determine whether the car is worth more there or at home and use that location for your pricing. If they offer less then you've got proof of inadequate compensation to show them which usually gets you a better offer. If it's still too low then tell them about your video and how you and your attorney are going to play it in front of the jury which should change their tune to a nicer one for you. Also check NY laws to see if you can file a civil suit for uncovered damages and expenses as well as anything against the insurer for them not offering adequate compensation. The more ways you can find to make the insurance company show up in court the more leverage you'll have with them, for each court case will cost them several thousand dollars to fight, and with your video and proof of value they will know they're on a losing streak trying to fight you. They will then almost certainly give you what you're asking for as being the better option :cool:

I learned all this stuff from a professional insurance adjuster whose specialty was in valuing antique, classic, and custom vehicles and all the major insurance companies here used him since their own adjusters were totally lost with these types of vehicles. He wasn't cheap to hire but it was necessary for the insurers to use him so that the defendants didn't. I've seen it work when a friend's custom motorcycle was destroyed and he claimed a value just under the threshold of what insurers have to pay to get this guy involved, and they paid off. That claimed value was more than what it was actually worth which we riders well knew but the insurer's didn't, nor could they prove it, so they just paid the claim rather that risk paying more and losing the case anyway :cautious:

I'm not sure whether I hate insurance adjusters or politicians most, but I hope there's a special place in He!! for all of them :mad:

Phil
When someone drives into the back of you, the video shouldn't be needed! The insurance company should just pay up and avoid spending any time/money trying to fight or even investigate since it is very unlikely they will save anything by doing so and it is certain to cost them. Of course they will still try to pay as little as possible, but that is a different issue, it is almost always worth your effort in rejecting their first offer and not worth their effort in arguing with you as long as you keep your demands reasonable, especially if you provide some evidence of the real cost of replacement/repair in your location that is very easy for them to check.

That can vary as many US States have "no fault" insurance where all involved parties are assessed as to the percentage of their fault then are compensated accordingly. By your concept someone rear-ending a "brake checker" would not bear in mind that the car in front was attempting to cause the wreck. And while we don't have 'no-fault' here, the lawyers in a courtroom will do and say anything to make you look bad as a means to reduce any sympathy for you and your claim. So while legally the fault here lies solely with the car in the rear, that's only part of the picture and anything you can do to take away the chances of a lawyer being able to make you look bad will help you considerably. I know because I've been through the legal process many times over- have you, or are you simply stating an opinion on how you think things should be?

Phil

Last edited:
That can vary as many US States have "no fault" insurance where all involved parties are assessed as to the percentage of their fault then are compensated accordingly. By your concept someone rear-ending a "brake checker" would not bear in mind that the car in front was attempting to cause the wreck. And while we don't have 'no-fault' here, the lawyers in a courtroom will doand say anything to make you look bad as a means to reduce any sympathy for you and your claim. So while legally the fault here lies solely with the car in the rear, that's only part of the picture and anything you can do to take away the changes of a lawyer being able to make you look bad will help you considerably. I know because I've been through the legal process many times over- have you, or are you simply stating an opinbion on how you think things should be?

Phil
Obviously I'm basing what I wrote on UK experience, and I did say "should", things work differently in USA.

I think that here in the UK, if you rear end a brake checker then it is still your fault and your insurance will have to pay for the damage. You shouldn't be driving so close to a brake checker that you can't use your brakes to avoid hitting them. If you have video evidence of the brake checking then the brake checker may well get done for insurance fraud, dangerous driving etc, which may well mean that your insurance company doesn't end up paying for their repairs, but you still shouldn't have hit them.

In the OP, I'm fairly certain that here, the insurance companies would just pay up unless the rear driver claimed that it was your fault, the only thing they would be likely to check is that the repair estimates were consistent with the story. If the rear driver did claim it was your fault then they would have to investigate, but the rear driver would need some evidence or it would be a very short investigation since the damage clearly shows that he has front damage and you(the OP) have rear damage, and in that case he would be committing insurance fraud which could put him in trouble given the video evidence. I would be very surprised if a case like this went anywhere near lawyers or courts, unless someone claimed to be seriously injured and managed to get a medical report to prove it.

Back