So my dash cams came in handy yesterday.....

Same here ( with keeping distance & who get to pay if you don't do that ) still brake checking are illegal so your footage should at least make the person pay for that, and i think the insurance company will make sure of that but otherwise you have to go to the police and do that.
It is a thing many Danish drivers don't get, not least in relation to intersections changing color to yellow and then red, the law say you are allowed to go thru on yellow if stopping can create a dangerous situation.
BUT ! here the law don't mean a guy tailgating you,,,,,, in regular driving you cant really be responsible for what go on behind you, only if you are slowing down and making a right or left turn are you supposed to look out back to make sure you can do said turns safely.
you cant constantly sit there and look in the mirror and guesstimate if the guy behind are keeping a safe distance, or if he are busy on the phone liking pictures of cupcakes or not, if the light turn yellow you are supposed to stop, and only if the road are slippery from rain or snow are you allowed co go thru as you then could loose control of your car if you tried to stop.

The law do say if a person behind you are so close to you he might hit you when you stop for yellow you can go thru yellow light, but i am sure if you stop and he hit you, he will be the one to pay up cuz if he hit you he have not kept a safe distance or paid attention in traffic.

I got a old recording from my old 4 channel kit where a guy ( snot-faced punk in a BMW of course ) almost rear end me cuz he are not doing what are supposed to do and i stop for yellow light.
PS i was running a 15 mm lens on the rear camera so in the video it also look close, which it also was.

Last edited:
Nice video, but you need a long range microphone to go with that 15mm lens ;)

If you are going to drive quickly then you must be prepared to stop quickly, the BMW driver clearly wasn't prepared!

I think that even over there, the insurers don't just "pay up" as you say, but instead offer a sum which they feel is adequate but often really isn't. A repaired car is never worth as much as an undamaged one, and that's just the tip of the iceberg concerning the losses which you incur in a crash. What dashcams do is take away all the "ammunition" which someone may otherwise try to use against you. If you did no wrong then you can positively prove that, and there can be no argument against it with your evidence which will increase the chances of a more fair initial settlement offer. If it goes further than this the dashcam video becomes even more valuable as it leaves them no means to defend themselves against you and your provable claims. The OP here is going to suffer many unpleasantries in simply getting fair compensation and I feel for him, for I've been through the process too many times myself already. I'm stating what will happen, not what should happen, or basing my statements on what happens elsewhere.

Phil

I think that even over there... The OP here is going to suffer many unpleasantries...
I think that over here, in a case like this where the fault is obviously with the rear driver, typically the video evidence would never be used and either the vehicles would be repaired with no arguments, or they would be written off and a compensation offer would be made which in most cases the first offer would be accepted and in most other cases a second offer would be accepted - no involvement by legal experts or courts needed, no unpleasantries and probably a very quick process since delays and unpleasantries tend to increase costs.

Since there is video evidence, there is the possibility of the police taking action over the driving standard, but that would be a separate issue to the repair/replacement of the vehicles.

No video needed when i was rear ended, still my company did like the footage from a front and R side camera.
I do think insurance companies can try and skimp, but that's why we have a impartial place to complain,,,, which of course add to the time it take for your case to get settled.

Unlike not that long ago when complaints about the police was handled by,,,,,,, the police. :rolleyes:

Ok, so a little update on this....

Insurance company has been pretty good so far :geek:

It's most definitely a total loss (duh) and they're actually giving me more than what I paid for her almost 100,000 miles ago :oops:

We couldn't come to an agreement for the additional aftermarket ricer accessories, however, for a $50 fee, I'll be retaining the car so I can strip it down of all the parts I wanna keep before selling it off to the junkyard for scrap :)

To top it off, I have a nice small claims judgement coming in for prior damages to the same vehicle ;)

Don't think I've ever been so happy to get into an accident :giggle:

Time to shop for a new beater :unsure:

It's most definitely a total loss (duh) and they're actually giving me more than what I paid for her almost 100,000 miles ago :oops:

We couldn't come to an agreement for the additional aftermarket ricer accessories, however, for a $50 fee, I'll be retaining the car so I can strip it down of all the parts I wanna keep before selling it off to the junkyard for scrap :)

To top it off, I have a nice small claims judgement coming in for prior damages to the same vehicle ;)

Great outcome! Also a perfect example of why we run with dash cams. And nobody got hurt!

Good to see that things in the USA are not as bad as some people claim!

What they pay out should be enough to replace the car, including the time taken to do so, register the new one, deregister the old one etc., not the car's value, so with a low value car you should do quite well.

If you don't mind taking the car apart, some people make several $1000 by stripping parts off insurance write offs and selling them on ebay etc., the individual parts are normally worth much more than the entire car and vastly more than the $50 to keep it - 1 tyre can be worth $50.

Some people are pretty misinformed and extremely rude, so much so Americans should invade their country and kick their asses. :D
Lots of things i don't understand too, but i cant really get wiser on those on the internet, so will have to go there and experience it or at least get it strait from the horses mouth.
Or as it will probably end, just live the remainder of my life without closure on those questions.

After the accident I was in, I had to fight my insurance company to get close to what it would take to replace my car. They use their own system to guestimate the value of a car instead of going by market value. At the time of my accident, a comparable replacement was going for over $15k. One that was in bad shape was about $11k. The insurance company kept claiming they checked prices in my area and they were $9,500. When I checked with dealers the references they provided, they told me they had no such car. After haggling for over 5 months, all I got was $10,500. Not sure how much the insurance company made off it at the auction.

Time for breakfast, later

After the accident I was in, I had to fight my insurance company to get close to what it would take to replace my car. They use their own system to guestimate the value of a car instead of going by market value. At the time of my accident, a comparable replacement was going for over $15k. One that was in bad shape was about $11k. The insurance company kept claiming they checked prices in my area and they were $9,500. When I checked with dealers the references they provided, they told me they had no such car. After haggling for over 5 months, all I got was $10,500. Not sure how much the insurance company made off it at the auction.

And then off too shop for different insurance.

If that happened here then you would take the case to the Ombudsman to sort out, no need to pay for lawyers, but the insurance companies will always try to avoid that happening, so you normally get a decent offer if you send them some decent evidence of the real value in your area.

My one crash & totaled car with my first car back in the day, well i got +1000 DKkr for it after having owned the car for 2 years, and its not like the insurance company dident know what i paid for the car, cuz i got it from my insurance guy that flipped cars.
This was in the mid 80ties with a mid 60ties car.

And then off too shop for different insurance.
I tried that after the battle, ran into a snag. No insurance company would sign me for having two accidents in less than twelve months, and it didn't matter that both were the other drivers faults. I did ask for quotes anyways, some were twice the cost and others were four times of what I have now. Another problem on medical side, is insurance companies are protected here in Florida, can't get any more out of them than what is in the policy. The attorney law firm I used, Dan Newlin, wasn't much help. When medical ran out from insurance, I was left with the rest of the financial burden to come out of my pocket. And since the kid that caused the accident was broke, the attorney said there is no point going after him for anything.

It's similar here in SC. At best you can get a "Judgement" against someone which is basically an official order from the Court to pay you, but that same Court (or any other) cannot force that payment- in those cases you have to file a separate Civil suit on your own to gain legal ownership of certain properties or possessions they may have. Those are limited to financial items like Bank accounts, Stocks, Bonds, Cash, Jewels, Precious metals, or deeded lands or properties they own. Titled items like cars, boats, and house trailers are exempt. Poor people have none of that in enough quantity to even cover your costs of the Lawsuit. And a "Judgement" lasts only ten years, after which you must renew it or it becomes unenforceable. The main penalty of having a judgement against you is in a bad credit rating (which poor people already have) and in that they cannot sell any of the financial items (which they do not have anyway) without them ceding the entire amount of the sale to you, or the portion of that which you are entitled to. TLDR is that you can essentially get nothing from suing a poor person so it's rarely pursued here. And there are simple legal work-arounds which can be used to protect some of the vulnerable things you own from being seized. With deeded lands or properties you just keep property taxes in arrears for one year- the government then takes priority over any claims against you and they cannot themselves seize that property for another year so your property is safe until you sell or die provided they kept the Judgement renewed o_O

And we've got a little-known regulation which requires that if you go asking for quotes from a new insurer, they must notify your current insurer of that and any details regarding the type of coverage you sought. They cannot give you a quote until you tell them who your currrent insurer is! This coming from our "Insurance Commissioner" whose job it is to advocate for and protect the public from bad insurers :eek: If it were a Law this would be a clear violation of the RICOH Act, but as a regulation on insurers and not citizens, that law isn't applicable unless insurers complain which they won't as the regulation benefits them. And the Commissioner's job is appointed, not elected, so the people have no legal means to set things right :mad: Things are so totally screwed up here in SC and the US that it's mind-boggling. We risked a revolution and parted with England over far less than this kind of crap, yet nobody seems to care enough now to risk such a thing today even though it's clearly needed :(

Phil

Things are so totally screwed up here in SC and the US that it's mind-boggling. We risked a revolution and parted with England over far less than this kind of crap, yet nobody seems to care enough now to risk such a thing today even though it's clearly needed :(

Phil
Maybe it is time for another one, split the country up into more manageable sized pieces without too many layers of government! Your cousins in Canada, Australia, New Zealand seem to do OK with their smaller populations, maybe you could even join the other 2 billion of us in the Commonwealth.

It took 18 minutes to revenge the Alamo and become Texas, and shortly after that became the 28 state.
For a outsider like me the state and federal governments, often at each others throats do seem counterproductive at times.
Just one of many things i would like my American friends to enlighten me over a cold one on the front porch.

Okay we Danes have sort of the same here with the municipalities ( which have become much fewer in recent years ) and while they are allowed to collect some tax too, then they could never run without funding's from the government, maybe that's out way if keeping them in check.
Actually we used to have 2 levels below government, many smaller municipalities forming up a larger county, this have been dispensed off to a large degree as just on government level we have more than enough bureaucracy, and no wonder as we Danes are only #2 to Norway when it come to huge public sectors,,, that as elsewhere are often slow and not really productive.

Okay we Danes have sort of the same here with the municipalities ( which have become much fewer in recent years ) and while they are allowed to collect some tax too, then they could never run without funding's from the government, maybe that's out way if keeping them in check.
Actually we used to have 2 levels below government, many smaller municipalities forming up a larger county, this have been dispensed off to a large degree as just on government level we have more than enough bureaucracy, and no wonder as we Danes are only #2 to Norway when it come to huge public sectors,,, that as elsewhere are often slow and not really productive.
Don't forget your above levels, all those EU presidents that I can never remember who they are or what they do!
Even after I look it up! : https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/presidents_en

Maybe it is time for another one, split the country up into more manageable sized pieces without too many layers of government! Your cousins in Canada, Australia, New Zealand seem to do OK with their smaller populations, maybe you could even join the other 2 billion of us in the Commonwealth.

Somehow I don't think folks here would even consider the idea, and TBH I wouldn't choose it myself right now. There's a lot of good and bad in every system- there will never be a perfect government or system of governing. Things could and would be much better over here if people watched what our government(s) are doing and took a more active role in the process, but there's a scarcity of civic-minded people here and the politicians like it that way as that lets them get away with doing whatever they want to do with impunity :mad: I think the original concept of government we started with here is as good as can be devised, but it absolutely requires that everyone be involved with it, and that is where it failed. The depth of the problem is now such that using the intended systems to make things right would take 20+ years to have a substantial effect and people here who already won't invest a few hours a week surely won't put in a 20 year effort :cry: Thus I hold no hope for us and TBH I see the US as becoming the world's largest "third-world" Nation before too long :( I'll hopefully be dead before we reach that point as that's a heartbreak I don't want to suffer.

Phil

Ooops :oops: yes forgot those, that are often the reason for a lot of grief.
EU just overruled us so a person from any other EU country coming here and work for a month will be eligible for welfare and other Danish benefits, where a Dane have to work for many months to do the same.
And often a Dane going to other EU countries can get squat, as that's what they have,,,,, IMO you should not give more than you get, so if i can not get Danish level welfare for working am month in another EU country, well people from that country should not get Danish level welfare for working a month here.

EU are not working it should be rolled back to the trade organization it was or dismantled.

Back