So What's the Current Version of the SG9663DC?

GeekOnTheHill

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
4Sight TODC2, Street Guardian SG9663dc, Vantrue S1 Pro
Mine is still working, but the GPS doesn't work most of the time.

The guy who replaced the windshield put the antenna behind the tinting along the top edge, but that's only paint. Would it make a difference?

I moved the antenna lower on the windshield, but that doesn't seem to have made any difference. Sometimes it's catches the birds and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe it needs a new antenna?

Alternatively, is there a current model that would be a direct replacement for the SG9663DC that I could just plug into the existing wiring? I have the rear cam, the power adapter that connects to the fuse block, and the GPS antenna. If so, are there any other improvements over the SG9663DC that I would notice?

I must say, I never thought it would last six years. I'm impressed. And it's still working except for the intermittent GPS, which I may just learn to live with.

Thanks,

Richard

The SG9663DC antenna as i recall are not made for on glass mounting, though i did do that with my test sample and had absolutely no problems.
I cant recall if there also are a little RTC battery in the GPS antenna, i remember testing the SGGCX2 i had GPS issues with the provided antenna, i just put on a spare one i had lying around.
But those little suckers are not drop in batteries, so if there is one there it do require a little DIY skills and tools like a soldering iron.

I think just about any old SG GPS antenna will work, as i recall i have even run a SG camera with a GPS antenna from another brand and it worked fine too.

Maybe @Street Guardian USA have a Antenna lying around they could send you.

Ignore my #1 line, there i was thinking of the SFG9663DR model, the SG9663DC are build for on glass mounting like most SG cameras / GPS antenna are

The SG9663DC antenna as i recall are not made for on glass mounting, though i did do that with my test sample and had absolutely no problems.
I cant recall if there also are a little RTC battery in the GPS antenna, i remember testing the SGGCX2 i had GPS issues with the provided antenna, i just put on a spare one i had lying around.
But those little suckers are not drop in batteries, so if there is one there it do require a little DIY skills and tools like a soldering iron.

I think just about any old SG GPS antenna will work, as i recall i have even run a SG camera with a GPS antenna from another brand and it worked fine too.

Maybe @Street Guardian USA have a Antenna lying around they could send you.
Okay, thanks. I'll drop them a line. Or maybe open the antenna first and see if there's a battery in there.

Things have happened in the past 6 years, not like you will notice super big changes, as always its baby steps ahead.
The new 1440p cameras often using the Sony IMX 335 sensor are nice, that is also what is in SG latest camera the SG9667DC2K

In the mean time we have also lost jookin the founder of SG dashcams, he died suddenly with no warning in 2021, the brand are still there though but now they do not see as much talk here on the forum.

I have highlighted SG USA, so he will see this post when he get online, of course if you want you can expedite with a phone call or a mail.

Just ordered the replacement. Thanks again.

Richard

Okay, I installed the new GPS module. It took about 90 seconds to lock and didn't lose the GPS, so I guess that was the problem. Thanks again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Street Guardian 7
Back