so when will the next wave of new hardware show up?

roadkill401

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not that I don't like my A119, I think its one of the best investments for my protection I have made for my car. I am just wondering if anyone has any thought as to how long they stay somewhat current in the technology swing? When do you think the next leap forward will be coming with either a much higher resolution for the dashcam... better low light or some other neat trick not thought of yet? Has anyone heard any mumbling about anything new ready to hs

There will be no wave of new hardware, at least not the big waves you might be thinking off, things seem to move along with baby steps.
2018 we have seen the first true 4K dashcams, maybe at the end of this year or next year we will see the first really worth while 4K cameras.
There are hardware now that should stand a good chance of being good dashcam stuff, and as i understand it the price of it are okay to a degree makers can consider this and sell it in bulk.
But there are still some challenges in putting it all together in a good package.

I would personally like to see higher bitrates, what is the norm now i feel are a little on the low side, and its not like we need to 2 X the current highest bitrates, but IMO it need a sprinkle of pixie dust.
I am also eager to see 4K cameras for sure, but knowing the challenges i am able to restrain myself and not get too exited, though "some have done it already"

I still dont care much for any of the smart stuff, image quality as i see it will remain the main challenge for the foreseeable future, so best put your effort in that field.

Well, the Hong Kong Global Sources Consumer Electronics Fair starts tomorrow, and Viofo appear to have some devilish new stuff there:

B0922557055.jpg

A129-Pro-4k-dash-cam.jpg

Not only this new dash cam.
Regarding 4K dash cam, we believe there will be more dash cam support using Novatek, Hisilicon and Ambarella new chipset.

1600p Starvis sounds interesting. Any other cameras already using that sensor?

LE / EL thats close enough in my book, and we all need a little divine help like it or not.

Yes 1600p sound interesting, whats that 5-6 mpix

LE / EL thats close enough in my book, and we all need a little divine help like it or not.

Yes 1600p sound interesting, whats that 5-6 mpix
Yes, the spelling is close enough, but I did read it the wrong way when I first saw it, not ideal for a show stand. I was pointing it out so that it gets corrected before reaching the website.

1600p would be 4.5 mpix, basically half of 4K, or double 1080. With Starvis it will be a nice upgrade for the basic A119.

Yes sound good, maybe 1080p will die in favor of something like this & 4K.
Eager to see footage Vs something else.

V3 have better white balance compared to V2.
1600P is a 16:10 format, there is a black area on the side while play in fullscreen, personally I still prefer using 1440P.

V3 have better white balance compared to V2.
1600P is a 16:10 format, there is a black area on the side while play in fullscreen, personally I still prefer using 1440P.
It is the width that is important, not the height. 16:10 is taller than we need, just means we can see more clouds in the sky!

I bet it will play kick ass on Sony's new crystal display :) 16K and 19.2 X 5.4 Meters or for the Imperial boys 63 X 17 Feet.
If the upscale engine work fine that is.

_106360187_4917fc45-8427-48bf-885a-e2294acfae9f.jpg

Reactions: Mtz
I bet it will play kick ass on Sony's new crystal display :) 16K and 19.2 X 5.4 Meters or for the Imperial boys 63 X 17 Feet.
If the upscale engine work fine that is.

_106360187_4917fc45-8427-48bf-885a-e2294acfae9f.jpg
No need to upscale, we just need the A149 4 channel 4K ... oh, no, that still only fills quarter of the screen :unsure:

Edit: maybe half the screen, looks more like 32:9 than 16:9?

A quad 4K system, then you can review all 4 channels at one time. :)
The perfect TV screen for any shameless mogul, i can see a few ordering one for when they build their next mansion.
I have no idea what the hell a Japanese cosmetics company will need this screen for, but thats who is getting the first one.

Interesting new dash cams.. 1600p seems to be a good upgrade from 1080p on the A119.

Yes sound good, maybe 1080p will die in favor of something like this & 4K.
Eager to see footage Vs something else.
I think 1080 will survive, for most people it is sufficient, and can still be improved yet. The poor sharpening on the Novatek based cameras is still loosing detail (cheap cameras like the Blueskysea B1W can do better), and use of 1080 sensors where only 1 pixel in 4 gives any information on red objects reduces detail further and creates false colour and moiré. There is room for significant improvement to 1080.

For people who want better than 1080, 4K is the obvious choice and gives a decent improvement, plus it fits nicely on our 4K displays. So I think 1440, 1600 etc will disappear once we get decent 4K cameras at a reasonable price. Current 4K cameras like the Blackvue DR900S that like to use 12Mbps bitrate and don't have Starvis sensors are pointless, for a decent 4K camera, there are 4x the number of pixels so you need 4x the bitrate, a typical 1080 camera uses 16Mbps so 4 x 16 = 64Mbps bitrate, then it will be worth having. Could also do with memory card prices dropping again so that we can afford to store all those bits, but now that 1TB cards are available, it wont be long before 64Mbps and multiple video channels becomes desirable.

Which brings us to the Viofo A129 Pro :p

4K A129 PRO is on the way, still have some work on firmware.

The next wave of harware will bring us some new CV (computer vision) technologies later this year.
They are going to add autonomous driving as a dashcam feature to go with the useless LDWS (Lane Departure Warning System), FCWS (Frontal Collision Warning System) etc.?
Or are they just going to add things like RTLW (Red Traffic Light Warning), SSR (Speed Sign Reminder), OBWS (Overtaking BMW Warning System), and for dashcams with a cabin lens that can watch the driver - DSWS (Driver Sleeping Warning System) and DASS (Driver Alertness Support System) etc?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DavidUK A119 5
Kremmen A119 3
Back