so when will the next wave of new hardware show up?

Am I the only one who thinks that the WK1 almost looks sexy? :ROFLMAO:

I guess that confirms me as a dashcam nut, but I'll accept the diagnosis as there are many worse things to be ;) I think 1080P will be around for quite awhile yet as it is enough for most folks, and it's cheap and easy to do well with. Better things will come along, but just slowly.

If there's any major jump coming I think it would be in the realm of the SOC system. That's just an easy way to do things and economical to manufacture. Either far more advanced SOC's or perhaps using it like a PC motherboard where the peripheral components added to it could be tailored to whatever level the cam manufacturers want to achieve.

Phil

So the question is : will it be more expensive or maybe cheaper then that price?

When i first saw that link the price was about 100-150$(not sure BUT it was really much less then 300$) ... seems price went a bit up.

I was wondering if there is any estimated release date.
I wanted to go with the A129 but if the 4k version will be around soon, I rather wait a little bit more

Should be this month...
Also waiting.

If it will be a 4k Starvis(IMX334, IMX226?), at least 50Mbps(VBR, HEVC), instabuy from me. I would love to replace the crappy DR900S. :p

Last edited:
I would not jump on any wagon right out of the gate, i would lean back and look at reviews and raw footage and think hard before you buy.
50 mbit HEVC will probably be fine.

I would not jump on any wagon right out of the gate, i would lean back and look at reviews and raw footage and think hard before you buy.
50 mbit HEVC will probably be fine.
Very wise, there is still a little work to do on it, but it is on the way, and is already much better than:
...the crappy DR900S. :p
It is a proper 4K camera with plenty of detail - more than 50 Mbit of detail :)

Of course it is based on the standard A129 so is already proven as a good camera, just that this version is 4x the resolution and can read a number plate at twice the distance :geek:

If you're referring to the A119, as per the forum header, then there is a new forum here dedicated to the A119 V3 that is now available online.

Nope.. A129 Pro 4k . But thanks for pointing it out.

A129Pro Still in the trial stage. A while longer to wait.

So anything 4k, that is primarily dash cam, not action cam, so wedge shape or barrel and 4k for not blackvue money?
I guess not and that is why people are excited about a129pro, right?
I wonder i we will see ie. 70mai 4k before a129.

So anything 4k, that is primarily dash cam, not action cam, so wedge shape or barrel and 4k for not blackvue money?
Gitup F1?

There is now a capacitor version with an F1.8 130 degree lens, which is clearly designed for dashcam use and which is far cheaper than Blackvue. Doesn't have parking modes or a few other dashcam features, but as a basic single channel 4K dashcam it will do the job at a very reasonable price.
I guess not and that is why people are excited about a129pro, right?
Also partly that the Blackvue 4K only uses 1080 amounts of bitrate so is of questionable advantage, much better to go for something like the Viofo A119 V3 which will give very decent 2.7K with higher bitrates than Blackvue's 4K and for a lot less. The A129 Pro is expected to use real 4K bitrates and that is what is exciting people.

We don't know the price yet, but for sure it will be less than Blackvue.
I wonder i we will see ie. 70mai 4k before a129.
Producing a good 4K dashcam is a real challenge, fake 4K or low quality 4K much easier, so you should probably add a work like "decent" in front of the "4K" in your question. Also remember that the A129 is a dual dashcam.

Gitup F1?

There is now a capacitor version with an F1.8 130 degree lens, which is clearly designed for dashcam use and which is far cheaper than Blackvue. Doesn't have parking modes or a few other dashcam features, but as a basic single channel 4K dashcam it will do the job at a very reasonable price.

Also partly that the Blackvue 4K only uses 1080 amounts of bitrate so is of questionable advantage, much better to go for something like the Viofo A119 V3 which will give very decent 2.7K with higher bitrates than Blackvue's 4K and for a lot less. The A129 Pro is expected to use real 4K bitrates and that is what is exciting people.

We don't know the price yet, but for sure it will be less than Blackvue.

Producing a good 4K dashcam is a real challenge, fake 4K or low quality 4K much easier, so you should probably add a work like "decent" in front of the "4K" in your question. Also remember that the A129 is a dual dashcam.

Or better put, Upscaling isn't true 4K. You can take a 1080P stream and force it to be in 4K. But it won't make the actual quality of the video 4K. Just the file much larger without any added benefit.

So true 4K means better cooling, higher bitrate, and probably will need testing to make sure it'll function properly with a rear camera attached.

So true 4K means better cooling, higher bitrate, and probably will need testing to make sure it'll function properly with a rear camera attached.
My 4K A129 has been working normally with a rear camera attached, what makes you think there would be a problem?

My 4K A129 has been working normally with a rear camera attached, what makes you think there would be a problem?

Nothing. But clearly they want the camera properly field tested before releasing to the public. It's the reason you probably have a "Beta" Camera before everyone else. To let Viofo know of any bugs or problems.

Nothing. But clearly they want the camera properly field tested before releasing to the public. It's the reason you probably have a "Beta" Camera before everyone else. To let Viofo know of any bugs or problems.
I think most new cameras get field-tested to find bugs and make final adjustments. You're right that 4K puts additional strain on components than 1080p, coping with higher bitrates and potentially higher temperatures. The standard GitUp F1 manages to run high bitrate 4K without getting particularly hot, partially thanks to its internal construction, so I hope Viofo/GitUp have transferred some of that knowledge to the A129 Pro.

Just my opinion, but given their experience and how they beta-test I wouldn't worry much about a Viofo/GitUp cam. Ditto for SG and Blueskysea, but I don't know if they have anything in 4K far along enough to speak of right now although you can be sure they will have that in time (y)

The real test is always the vids in all situations, and 4K is just a name. Done well and with a 4K computer it can and will be better, but in this game there's a lot of manufacturers who aren't interested in "better" but only in finding a way to apply the "4K name" to their products because they know that the name "4K" sells cameras.

Phil

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DavidUK A119 5
Kremmen A119 3
Back