Software recommendations to join video clips together?

Estoril Sport

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S 2CH
I have just come back from an epic trip driving to Switzerland, I used my Blackvue 900S to capture the footage. However I am struggling to find video editing software to join the separate clips together enabling the video to appear as one continuous video file. I have tried GoPro own 'Capture' and Corel 'VideoStudioX9' but both will not play the video clips? I could upgrade to Corel 'VideoStudio Ultimate 2018' but not without confirming it will do the job. As any one had any similar experience and found a solution? thanks

Do the footage have overlap between the segments ?

Do the footage have overlap between the segments ?
Yes it sometimes, so I need to edit some of the clips to edit out the duplication/ overlap.

Try Shotcut or Openshot. They should both work and are open source.

Hit film express and davinci resolve have free versions I believe. Might have to jump through more hoops to download.

Thanks for bringing back memories. I too have visited Switzerland; such a beautiful country. Now, back to the topic.

Depending on how often you intend to create footage from your DR900S, (or for any other video footage for that matter,) I suggest the video editing software Camtasia by TechSmith. Check out Camtasia here. I use this software for more than just joining video clips from my DR900S, DR650S or DR750LW cameras, (usually of drivers that should be cited for DWHUA - Driving With Head Up Ass.)

TechSmith has just release their latest version of Camtasia, Camtasia 2018. Check out Camtasia on YouTube to see it's possibilities. It is a powerful video editing software and will not break the bank. (And no, I do not work for TechSmith. This is just a plug for a software that I know and like.)

I just used iMovie today on my iPhone to join two 1-minute video recordings together downloaded over Wi-Fi via the Blackvue app. It's very convenient but not perfect -- There's a very brief pause/black screen blink at the gap but it's minimal (it's at the 2 sec mark):

P.S. Check out this video of a crazy guy that blew threw the 4-way stop right in front of me:

Thank for all the recommendations, I did try Camtasia as I have heard of good things about it but regrettably it kept cashing on my PC, I tried Adobe Premiere but this would not accept H265 videos from the Blackvue 900S. Openshot did accept H265 vidoes, however testing the trial version of Corel 'VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 this seems to be stable and works with H265 videos so far so good and upgrading was just over £25 so its no brainier really. The videos do some time over lap which I can cut out the duplication however have noticed a few times between the end of one video to the next video there is a slight miss of footage about 1 sec not much but looks like when join together the video jumps and at least in the back camera footage there is the occasional flash of light however I think this may be related to the MicroSD card?

Glad you found something to work for you. FWIW I think I had better luck with Shotcut than Openshot. I think Openshot lagged a little.

Thanks for bringing back memories. I too have visited Switzerland; such a beautiful country. Now, back to the topic.

Depending on how often you intend to create footage from your DR900S, (or for any other video footage for that matter,) I suggest the video editing software Camtasia by TechSmith. Check out Camtasia here. I use this software for more than just joining video clips from my DR900S, DR650S or DR750LW cameras, (usually of drivers that should be cited for DWHUA - Driving With Head Up Ass.)

TechSmith has just release their latest version of Camtasia, Camtasia 2018. Check out Camtasia on YouTube to see it's possibilities. It is a powerful video editing software and will not break the bank. (And no, I do not work for TechSmith. This is just a plug for a software that I know and like.)

I just installed corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 in a win10 PC and it refuses to accept Blackvue DR900s videos. The error message is attached along with the memory usage, which I believe shows 9.8GB available. The files play without any problem in MS Movies & TV and VCL. They are just under 200Mb each. The recording resolution was 4k 2160p @ 30fps highest. What am I missing that's stopping them from loading into VideoStudio Ultimate?
memory use.PNGVideoStuido error.PNG

Last edited:
I just installed corel VideoStudio Ultimate 2018 in a win10 PC and it refuses to accept Blackvue DR900s videos. The error message is attached along with the memory usage, which I believe shows 9.8GB available. The files play without any problem in MS Movies & TV and VCL. They are just under 200Mb each. The recording resolution was 4k 2160p @ 30fps highest. What am I missing that's stopping them from loading into VideoStudio Ultimate?
View attachment 43234View attachment 43235
Are you trying to import them directly from the SD card in to Video Studio? or have you copied the mp4 file to your hard drive first? if you have not done so already move the video files to your HD then import into Video Studio. I must say I did occasionally get this message that the files were not recognisable. However somehow I did manage to get the occasional troublesome file imported that was causing a problem. The tricky bit was editing out all the overlapping clips! as I found most of the files the end bit where duplicated on the next file.

I use ffmpeg for most things. VLC for playback.

I tried importing to VideoStudio both from the SD card and from the PC after copying the files to it both fail with the same error message. I found some postings that said win10, since the creators update, has had machine dependent problems reading those files. Not all machines exhibit the problem but some do. I chatted with Corel about the problem and we went through procedures clearing out reference files and disabling all the user startup files but nothing cured the problem.
I went and tried OpenShot from www.openshot.org that krole suggested. It doesn't have any problem importing all the files from either location and it's easy to learn for splicing and trimming if you watch a YouTube video by tux designer titled 'OpenShot Video Editing Beginning Tutorial' that has a stylized penguin in the logo.

Last edited:
To just join clips together I use TmpgEnc Smart Renderer.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5.html

You can cut out any unwanted over lap frames, adjust audio volume etc. But it doesn't transcode the entire movie again loosing in video quality.

9c298a700718b4aadb24f066aac2fb8d.jpg

I found this to really good and fast and joining multiple clips together...

To just join clips together I use TmpgEnc Smart Renderer.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tmsr5.html

You can cut out any unwanted over lap frames, adjust audio volume etc. But it doesn't transcode the entire movie again loosing in video quality.

9c298a700718b4aadb24f066aac2fb8d.jpg

I found this to really good and fast and joining multiple clips together...

Smart Renderer works very well with MP4 videos from a Nextbase 612GW dashcam however with videos from my new Blackvue DR900s v1.006 it renders most, 60-75%, of the video. The rendered areas are along the entire length of the video. The problem appears to be the DR900 is creating videos with a variable frame rate between 29.4 and 32.3 fps which exceed limits Smart Renderer uses for the type of video. I suspect that could be involved in the problem I encountered with Corel VideoStudio refusing to accept the videos.

That's strange. I swear I've used this to join 60fps video clips.... [emoji848]
I don't know what to suggest, sorry, except one thing. Rename the file extension to .mkv from .mp4. See if this tricks it into joining the clips trouble free...

Renaming the extension from MP4 to MKV doesn't change the behavior. The retailer confirmed the DR900s produces a variable frame rate.

The best program for joining and viewing dashcam videos I’ve found is DashCam Viewer ( https://dashcamviewer.com ) by Earthshine software. It has a merge function that is exceptionally fast and joins DR900s videos retaining the original variable frame rate and 4k resolution. There is a long list of cameras it supports including the Blackvue DR750s-2ch but not the DR900s. It recognizes my DR900s-2ch front & rear videos and keeps them separate when imported together. The user can view them separately or with a Pix-in-Pix view. When merging videos the user can select either the front or rear to be merged and exported. It doesn't have any trimming function but none of my DR900 videos have any overlap. The free download is limited to joining 2 videos but purchasing ($25USD) removes the limit. It has both windows and mac versions. I'm using the windows version.

Last edited:
I use Microsoft Movie Maker to combine crop and produce the raw files since Power Director 16 and 17 all I get is a black video with no sound. There's a way it's on YouTube, to produce videos in 4k in Microsoft Movie Maker. Check it out.

I then transfer the produced file from Microsoft Movie Maker to Power Director 16, add in a watermark, fancy title etc, then produce. I produce in 70mb quality which meets the 53-68mb recommended quality by Google for 4k 60fps videos.

I then upload to YouTube. I have good internet. Vodafone NZ 100mb/s download and 10mb/s upload speed. Trust me, that's a lot better than ADSL Broadband speeds lol which average what 0.9mb/s upload speed, ouch.

Still don't get how Power Director can't even play H.264 AND H.265 files from Blackvue. I spoke with Cyberlink Support and eventually gave up and do it this way.

I would also highly recommend that you use the H.264 format too. Since there isn't much support at all yet for H.265. Especially video editing programs, insurance companies, court, and police. You have to make sure these guys can play the stuff. And besides, you need a really good computer to be able to play H.265 files smoothly. My HP 15'ab222tx white laptop (Intel Core i5-6200U processor) struggles with H.265 files. Even my Samsung Galaxy S9 phone struggles with that format!! But My desktop custom PC which has an Intel Core i7-6700k processor can play H.265 files with ease, depending on what software supports it. You can still fit a lot of data onto your SD card using H.264. I can record 8 hours of Blackvue 900S 2-CH footage on maximum recording settings using my Samsung Pro Endurance 128gb sd card (119gb available rest for system on sd card).

I've been using << THIS SOFTWARE >> for years. You can use it free for a month, but it's inexpensive enough to buy too.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Wailer DR900S (1CH or 2CH) 8
Back