[Solved] Git1 is not a reliable dash cam

Can't have "too much power"- whatever is plugged in will take only what it needs and the rest does nothing. But you can have too little power and it seems that is the case here. BTW, many car USB ports will not support a dashcam- the USB port specification is 500mA @ 5VDC and that's all some car USB ports and cheap P/S's give you.

Phil

Jokiin, I see that you are in Shenzhen .... do you know any TaoBao seller that sells good/reliable cable? Or website that sells reliable cable with reasonable shipping fee to HK?

I don't sorry, we buy stuff built to spec in large quantity direct from manufacturers, that's a lot different to what you get it you buy one of something, Monoprice cables have a good reputation, even with the shipping fee it would be a better option I think

I have already modify the cable and tested that it's only giving power and not data.

if the cable has data lines make sure they are disconnected at the camera end of the cable, even they're not connected to anything if you have several feet of cable connected to these pins the camera can see a bit of resistance on the data line and be fooled into thinking it's connected to something, that can cause glitches also

I guess the next step is to bring the cable home and plug it into a wall charger and see if it works. If it works then it's the charger and not the cable.

The thing about Monoprice is that they don't have a 'L' shape cable. I need it so the cable is route to the top liner rather than hanging down to the dashboard.

I guess the next step is to bring the cable home and plug it into a wall charger and see if it works. If it works then it's the charger and not the cable.

that might not be a definitive test anyway as the home power supply is likely a lot more stable than the car one where the input voltage will fluctuate a lot more

You could try to used it with a Mio Mivue Smartbox If You find this at a good price.

Ok guys...further testing result. I bought an USB voltage and amp tester.

With 2 cables (cable A & B) in car 12v and armrest USB...it would only be 0.25-0.3A and 5V. Went home and test it with two of the same cables (cable A & B) and two other mini USB cable (cable C & D). Cable A,B,C still 0.25-0.3A and 5V. Cable D is actually a GoPro cable which should be 1A. I modify it so it's only power cable and it turns out as 0.4-0.5A.

While at home...all cables is giving the same voltage and amp and would auto start recording. I am not lost.

Will electronics pull more amps when the battery is lower? If the Git1's battery is lower than maybe it would be pulling 1A so it would auto start? But why is it when I test it at home...it would all auto start?!?

Last edited:
I'd guess that the output on your home charger is more capable than the output on your cig charger

Better to just acquire a known good cable - even a short one- for testing purposes. That can be done cheaply and locally for almost everybody. IIRC Monoprice does have angled cables; I'm sue someone will come by here with a link for you to follow soon.

Some of the cheap USB voltage test devices are inaccurate so I'd only rely on them after verifying they are working correctly with a quality DMM. Most of them are close enough to indicate a major problem, so if it shows anything other than a marginally low reading you're probably OK.

If the cam battery is failing, much of the current will go toward trying to charge it instead of going to the cam operations. Having a strong P/S can help overcome that but that can also 'mask' the problem and add confusion making you think that a PS us bad when it isn't. A cam is a system of parts and all the parts must be in spec for it to work correctly- P/S, battery, cable, everything must be checked and positively known to function properly. Only then can you accurately diagnose problems.

Phil

I'd guess that the output on your home charger is more capable than the output on your cig charger

It's just weird that the voltage and amp is the same with cig charger and home charger. In fact, i tested the cig charger (anker) with my phone (micro USB) and it's outputting 0.7amp. So it's capable.

It's just weird that the voltage and amp is the same with cig charger and home charger. In fact, i tested the cig charger (anker) with my phone (micro USB) and it's outputting 0.7amp. So it's capable.

car charge may dip voltage at first power whereas home charger is less likely, that wouldn't present any issue for just charging your devices

car charge may dip voltage at first power whereas home charger is less likely, that wouldn't present any issue for just charging your devices
I think so.
BTW, the Git1 camera working and charging amp is less than 1A.

I think so.
BTW, the Git1 camera working and charging amp is less than 1A.

I just drove my car for the whole day today. The Git1 auto start in the morning... however; when i park the car for lunch and other activities...it wouldn't auto start afterwards.

Any more things I can test and do? I am eager to make this work out so I can buy the Git2. [emoji14]

I just drove my call for the whole day today. The Getup auto start in the morning... however; when i park the car for lunch and other activities...it wouldn't auto start afterwards.

Any more things I can test and do? I am eager to make this work out so I can buy the Git2. :p
Are you at Hongkong, we have show in Hongkong from 11th, if you take a visit to our booth, we can offer a charger to you to test. :)

Are you at Hongkong, we have show in Hongkong from 11th, if you take a visit to our booth, we can offer a charger to you to test. :)
Yes, I am. Where is the show?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Yes, I am. Where is the show?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk
5G05 of Global Sources Electronics HongKong Fair from 11th ~ 14th October 2016
(Address: AsiaWorld-Expo, Hong Kong International Airport, Lantau, Hong Kong, China)

If you have time, welcome to our booth, and please bring the camera, so we can check it.

7c0be5340e67727ba6c42d8c6d09e97a.jpg
570fc1e3b1bfb469375778e320b08bab.jpg

When I turn on my car...the screen will turn on with times on the top right. It wouldn't start recording. I will need to press the record button to actually start recording. If I don't press the record button and go through the setting (pictures, view media, settings) then goes back to record menu...the top right timer will be 00.00.00. when I press the record button...it would show the timer (01.52.2). I have the press the record button again to start recording. The timer on the top right always changes. Not sure what it means though.

How is your battery? Totally empty? Tried with fully loaded battery?

I have similar problem with my sjcam sj4000 in my car, have you tried the camera in another car? Maybe your cars ouput is with elecrical spikes that is disturbing the functionality of the cameras dashcam mode?

Do you have CarLicenseNum file loaded? If so set it to Off in script and try.

How is your battery? Totally empty? Tried with fully loaded battery?

I have similar problem with my sjcam sj4000 in my car, have you tried the camera in another car? Maybe your cars ouput is with elecrical spikes that is disturbing the functionality of the cameras dashcam mode?

Do you have CarLicenseNum file loaded? If so set it to Off in script and try.

No...the battery is pretty much full. I will try it in my friend's car and see if it's the same.

Regarding the CarLicenseNum file.... i formatted the card with Git1 and in my computer (fat32) but for some reason... it's still showing in the videos. Tried it with another card that doesn't have the CarLicenseNum file but it's still showing in the video. Do i have to set it Off first then remove the txt file?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
xmyladylostx Git1 11
T Git1 7
M Git1 8
M Git1 4
C Git1 10
Back