[SOLVED] GPS Failing ... Capacitor dead? (WiFi on was causing issues!)

Prelude89

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Duo
Hi All,

I've had my a129 for a month or so now, half of which has had the rear camera connected. Since first setting up, I have used a Samsung Evo 128GB memory card.

A couple of days ago, i put in my new Samsung Evo Plus 128GB card.

After a couple of days driving, I swapped it out for the older card, so I could take it inside and archive the recordings.

I use the python script to extract GPS data, so I can continue to use Registrator Viewer. I noticed 2 new things!

Firstly, a number of files with the yellow exclamation mark. I've seen this before with my (now dead) BlackVue. In that case, it was a dead battery, and after replacing the battery, they went away. With the BlackVue, the solution was to press the parking mode button on the end of the camera, wait a second and then turn off. The short park mode file could then be discarded. Also, when I forgot, Registrator's repair file worked a treat.

After a quick investigation, the last file of the journey is now corrupt with the Viofo.

The second thing I noticed on the red travel line on the map, was short periods of grey. Upon closer inspection of the video in those sections, the GPS data on the video was going bonkers. A brief look over previous drives shows these grey lines started a few days before using the new memory card, but each new drive is showing more, and longer, sections of grey.

Changing cards didn't fix the issues.

Before attempting to send the unit back, are there any ideas on how I might troubleshoot this in order to fix it?

Im not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but why do you need to run a python script? Why don't you just view your clips in programs like Nextbase Replay that will show GPS/live map data?

Im not sure if I'm understanding you correctly but why do you need to run a python script? Why don't you just view your clips in programs like Nextbase Replay that will show GPS/live map data?

Because Registrator Viewer, in my opinion, is far better. Case in point: Nextbase, which I have installed, fails to show any map detail for any video that has faulty GPS data. It just rolls up the map window. Registrator still shows the map, and the route where data is available.

This has nothing to do with the issue though.

Further to my original post, I have also now noted that when I put the new Evo Plus card in, the unit has dropped the bitrate down to 8 megabits, instead of the previously set 16.

turn wifi off

As I have read here that people were having some issues with WiFi, I never run with WiFi on. The only time I turn WiFi on is to check the settings.

Thanks for the idea.

if wifi is on it records at 8mbit

Ok ... having just been out to check, WiFi may have still been on, as I noticed it was displaying the SSID and password when I checked the screen after holding down the WiFi button. A short recording in the driveway now has the bitrate back to 16Mbps.

Thanks for clearing that part of the issue up.

Would having WiFi on also cause the capacitor to drain to fast to clean-up the shut-down video?

The GPS issue was occurring before I turned on the WiFi to format the new card.

Would having WiFi on also cause the capacitor to drain to fast to clean-up the shut-down video?
not something I've heard of but perhaps the extra power draw could be an issue, most people don't leave wifi on so probably not something that would get noticed if that was the case

not something I've heard of but perhaps the extra power draw could be an issue, most people don't leave wifi on so probably not something that would get noticed if that was the case

Ok. Thanks for the info.

I'll leave it for a couple of days and see if that issue has been fixed.

Any thoughts on the GPS issue?

Can you send a short file to us to check which that you thought have GPS issue?

How are you powering the A129 DUO? Are you using the included 12V car adapter and Viofo USB cable or the Viofo 3-wire kit?

Sure. Where to send, or just attach it here?
Please upload to dropbox or google driver, and send the link to me by PM.
Thank you.

Checked the video, played it with Nextbase player seems no problem, maybe the dashcam viewer has some compatible issue, we are checking on that.

Checked the video, played it with Nextbase player seems no problem, maybe the dashcam viewer has some compatible issue, we are checking on that.

Replied in PM with details of just where it is obvious the GPS data has failed.

I've just loaded the files from a short drive today. With the WiFi now correctly turned off, the corrupt file issue has been resolved.

May I suggest some research into whether the WiFi being on does drain the capacitor too fast.

The GPS issue also seems much reduced, with only 1 error, which didn't actually show up in Registrator Viewer, but showed when looking through the GPX files. To be fair, I've never checked previously in so much detail, so there may well have been the occasional spurious reading, but they were never so obvious.

I'll keep an eye on it, and see how it goes. Maybe the WiFi being on also has a negative effect on the operation of the GPS.

Another days driving, and all the symptoms seem to have vanished after turning WiFi off.

Still not sure why there were a couple of GPS issues before leaving WiFi on, but it was only on 1 trip, so there may have been outside circumstances.

OK, so let's be clear about what is happening here... One of the advertised features of the A129 is WiFi, but if you try to use it then other functions of the camera will fail. That certainly changes my view on the reliability of the A129.

Is this a design flaw? Will there be no solution to this problem except for substituting a different brand and/or model of dash cam?

Is there anyone here who can please respond to this issue before any more of us buy this dash cam?

Back