Solved: GPS mount bug

xslip

Reaction score
Country
Latvia
Hi all,

Yesterday I've received my A119 from Gearbest. Overall quality ir great, however GPS mount does not work:

Whenever I try to use it, display is fading out until camera is switched off. I've tried it with firmware from 0813 the issue was the same as for original 0829. Do you have any suggestions what can it be? may be someone had similar issue?

BR,
Eugeny

Here I've used original Mi4C charger, in Car I've tried different wires and USB chargers (Xiaomi 2x2.4 A, Vention 2.1 A , original one)

Have you ever tried the original dual usb car charger in the car?

Hi!
Surely, that was the first USB adaptor, I've tried!

Try formatting the card again and enable GPS in the menu.

Done several times, I've tried with 3 different cards, made format and enabled GPS for every of them: 32Gb Transcendt, 64Gb Samsung and 128Gb Mixza Tohaol. Scene is the same - when I'm connecting GPS craddle (with disconnected side miniUSB port) , it fades out display and finally switches off the device.

So now I can normally use this device with side usb port with all not connected to GPS features.

Normally this is caused the by the charger, if you are sure you use the original car charger adapter and USB cable, maybe try to use different power source.
If that all doesn't help, have to get a replacement to check.

Yesterday I've received partial refund from GB for not working GPS and dared to disassemble it.
My first suggestion was that GPS cradle has some kind of short-circuit or some other power leakage which drains all power from socket.
Found out no visible issues, it has been soldered correctly, multimeter also showed that there is power.
Then I've soldered out GPS module (see below already without it), it has been connected to pads VCC(red cable),TX(white cable),GND(black cable).
1.jpg

Then I've tried to power on A119 with it again. Same issue. So , without GPS module in cradle there is almost nothing to cause such malfunction.
2.jpg

Next step, I've dared to open A119 itself, and found one possible cause. It could have been flex cable, going from mainboard to GPS cradle connector pins.
3.jpg
On mainboard you can see connector of flex cable, same thing is located on the other side of cable - under metal shield, which most probably prevents device electro-magnetic interference with GPS module and dissipate heat from A119.

My problem was on the other side of flex cable, it has not been properly connected, not sure if it had shortened several stripes or got not effective contact, but after reapplying and fixing of flex cable into connector it allowed device to boot and operate normally.

So my last step was to assemble main A119 unit and solder GPS module back. Now device operates correctly and with GPS.

Topic can be closed!

Good fix @xslip !

that's useful info for @viofo so they can show the production manager to help prevent it happening again
Do they test every GPS unit? I don't suppose they hook up GPS mount and test.
Could the issue be related to poor workmanship or can it happen while shipping?

S/N A11916360633 if that can help for @viofo investigation.

Have you ever tried the original dual usb car charger in the car?
Viofo (off topic) Can u tell me if BAIKLOV is a trusted Seller of the original A119? Is BAIKLOV on ur list of Sellers?

Thanks for your update, I have forwarded this to engineer and QC department.

Can u tell me when will u make public the next beta firmware update after 8 29 I wanted to have my G sensor working

I just tried to review some footage from an incident today and noticed no video was captured since Sept 15... I tracked the issue to a lack of power from the GPS unit. If I connect the USB power cable in the A119 directly it power up just fine. I I connect it to the GPS receiver the A119 will not power.

Is there a process to obtain a new GPS receiver / Camera? I don't think I want to attempt the fix myself by fear of causing permanent damage to te camera. From what I can see the issue is in the camera itself... Right Bummer ;-( What should I do next? Contact the Amazon seller (Baiklov)?

Last edited:
Back